Digital Copy Question

Disney_traveler

DIS Veteran
A couple of my old Disney movies came with a digital copy disk I could rip onto my iTunes and save to my device. Now it seems they all have only codes an drew only place to save them is Disney Movies Anywhere.....which requires internet service.....which isn't available on a flight? Am I missing something or is my only other option to purchase again through iTunes?

A couple of my old Disney movies came with a digital copy disk I could rip onto my iTunes and save to my device. Now it seems they all have only codes an drew only place to save them is Disney Movies Anywhere.....which requires internet service.....which isn't available on a flight? Am I missing something or is my only other option to purchase again through iTunes?

So, with Disney Movies Anywhere, you actually are linking another movie provider to your account, like Google or Amazon or iTunes (I am not sure of all the options, I think Vudu or Ultraviolet maybe?). At any rate, those movies get added to your accounts with those providers, but you can also view them through the Disney Movies Anywhere app (I use Google, so my movies show up as "Purchases" on YouTube and Google Play). The Disney Movies Anywhere app will also let you download copies of the movie to local storage so you can watch where you do not have Internet service. It's really easy. I don't know if there are caps on that, however you are definitely limited by the space available on your device. I usually place a few movies into my local storage before a trip and remove them when I get back. It all works very well.

So, with Disney Movies Anywhere, you actually are linking another movie provider to your account, like Google or Amazon or iTunes (I am not sure of all the options, I think Vudu or Ultraviolet maybe?). At any rate, those movies get added to your accounts with those providers, but you can also view them through the Disney Movies Anywhere app (I use Google, so my movies show up as "Purchases" on YouTube and Google Play). The Disney Movies Anywhere app will also let you download copies of the movie to local storage so you can watch where you do not have Internet service. It's really easy. I don't know if there are caps on that, however you are definitely limited by the space available on your device. I usually place a few movies into my local storage before a trip and remove them when I get back. It all works very well.

Thank you!!! Wasn't aware of an APP. I don't need a ton, just what we want to watch for our upcoming flights. I just didn't know if I was messing myself up.

My iTunes and Disney Movies Anywhere accounts are linked and when ever I redeem my points in Disney Movie Rewards they automatically appear in my iTunes account.

It's a bit complicated and I don't even know exactly how it all works. When I enter the code I think I request that the movie be made available through in iTunes and it's downloaded to my iTunes library. However, it's still available on Disney Movies Anywhere as long as I enter my login and password when I request the download.

If you've got the specific Disney Movies Anywhere app, it should be possible to download a an entire movie to the device so that it doesn't need to be watched via streaming. You need to have an account in order to do that. I don't know if it's changed, but at one point I was having difficulty watching already downloaded movies unless I had a working internet connection - even in "offline mode". I believe it had to contact the Disney server periodically in order to authorize the playback. That might have changed or perhaps after a certain amount of time it requires communication with the server. I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you have a computer then I believe the only means to watch is via iTunes. I believe you can even copy the file from one authorized computer to another.

I should have come back and posted. @BrianL 's advice worked perfectly! They are all in my iTunes account now. They show the little cloud and arrow to download from the cloud. I was already over 75% of data for this month due to updates and such, so I'm going to wait until the night before our flight and use hotel wifi to pick and download what we want to watch.

It's a bit complicated and I don't even know exactly how it all works. When I enter the code I think I request that the movie be made available through in iTunes and it's downloaded to my iTunes library. However, it's still available on Disney Movies Anywhere as long as I enter my login and password when I request the download.

If you've got the specific Disney Movies Anywhere app, it should be possible to download a an entire movie to the device so that it doesn't need to be watched via streaming. You need to have an account in order to do that. I don't know if it's changed, but at one point I was having difficulty watching already downloaded movies unless I had a working internet connection - even in "offline mode". I believe it had to contact the Disney server periodically in order to authorize the playback. That might have changed or perhaps after a certain amount of time it requires communication with the server. I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you have a computer then I believe the only means to watch is via iTunes. I believe you can even copy the file from one authorized computer to another.

Where is gets confusing is that you can actually use different providers and switch your link between them. It seems weird and I don't know why one would do it that way. I use Google because I use Android devices. If you keep it locked to iTunes then you should never have any problems, and you can access from either Disney Movies Anywhere or through iTunes directly. The offline copies SHOULD work without Internet. They have for me, but I downloaded through the Disney Movies Anywhere app.

Where is gets confusing is that you can actually use different providers and switch your link between them. It seems weird and I don't know why one would do it that way. I use Google because I use Android devices. If you keep it locked to iTunes then you should never have any problems, and you can access from either Disney Movies Anywhere or through iTunes directly. The offline copies SHOULD work without Internet. They have for me, but I downloaded through the Disney Movies Anywhere app.

I don't know if there was a change made to the DisneyMovies app for iOS, but I remember when I was somewhere without internet access and "offline mode" didn't work unless could connect every now and then. The connection didn't have to be terribly high speed, but it would refuse to play until it talked to the server and I guess verified my account.

I don't know if there was a change made to the DisneyMovies app for iOS, but I remember when I was somewhere without internet access and "offline mode" didn't work unless could connect every now and then. The connection didn't have to be terribly high speed, but it would refuse to play until it talked to the server and I guess verified my account.

Interesting. It could be a difference in using Apple/iTunes vs. Android. I've only done it a couple of times, but both were on a plane and I did not pay for the expensive in-flight Wi-Fi or anything.

Hey, if you want to play videos offline when you are on a plane or what else, then you could try to use a third-party tool to help you. This program is DRmare Media Converter for Windows, which can help you get iTunes videos and other plain videos as local files on your computer. Then you can stream them on your portable devices for offline playing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!