Dieting for the Dream 8-29-2012

MommyJack

Crazy for Disney
Hi all this is my first attempt at a trip report. So we are booked on the Dream for a 4 night Bahamian Cruise on 8-29. I'm calling this "Dieting for the Dream" because I have set a goal to lose 30lbs before we sail.

Here's the cast of characters -- there's me, Jackie 46 (157 at the start of my diet for the dream), DH Kevin 50 and our two kids DS - Ian 11 (12 when we sail) and DD - Sarah 7 (8 when we sail). Last of all is my MIL, Roberta - 70 (I don't think she minds me telling her age, but I'm not sharing this with her anyway). This will be a first cruise for all except Roberta, but a first Disney Cruise for all. Here we all are on our most recent trip to Disney in 2010.

Photo0025FourBySix.jpg

The dynamics are like this. I am a planner and organizer to the 10 degree. If it can be planned I will get it done. DH is the "need to know" guy (which is why we get along so great). What is a "need to know guy?" you say. That's the guy who needs to know exactly what's going to happen all the time. For example everyday he asks at least twice what's for dinner. Don't get me started on how often I have to explain vacation plans. Ian and I share a love of all things computer. At 2 years old he pushed my hand off the mouse and took over the computer. I finally gave in this year and bought him is own for Christmas so I could have mine back. Sarah is the quintessential "Daddy's Girl" and "princess". She is very high maintenance, but lovable just the same. Then there's MIL. I'm blessed to have such a great MIL. She sews (more on that later), babysits for us and is my wine buddy (more on that later too).

Next post -- details on my diet.

The Diet Plan http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=45175275&postcount=3

The Cruise Details http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=45185770&postcount=7

More Cruise Details http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45563912#post45563912

Diet Update http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45862140#post45862140

I'll be following along! I hope your diet goes well. We're on the Dream for Thanksgiving and I'm dieting now too, but not with the cruise in mind as my focus. It's a good idea though!

As I mentioned, I was 157lbs when I started my "Diet for the Dream". Like most women, I used to be skinny before I had kids. Here I am in my 20's on one of my first trips to Disney (I'm not sure if this is Disneyworld or Disneyland, if anyone can tell let me know).

Disney20s.jpg

As you can see, I even had time to paint my nails back then (oh how times change). Well after I had Sarah I never lost the baby weight, in fact I added to it. You may not be able to tell from the pictures, but I'm only 5'1", SO 157 is up there for my height. I kept saying to myself that I would exercise and lose the weight. I even joined a gym twice, but was never really committed to it.

Finally, I had something to motivate me. Let me give some background. I have always wanted to go on a cruise. My parents went when I was young and I thought it was the most luxurious vacation that you could take. It all seemed so romantic at the time. I once mentioned to Kevin I would like to go on a cruise and he poo pooed all over the idea. It wasn't until he was talking with his cousin, who told him how great Disney cruises are, that he decided it would be a good vacation for us. (Typical MAN, it's not a good idea if the wife brings it up, but if his friends think it's good he's all for it:confused3). I never did mention that it was my idea to begin with. Better off letting him think it was his idea. So finally, after 14 years of marriage, I get my cruise. Then I was looking at photos one day and realized I didn't like what I saw. I couldn't bear the idea that I was going to go on my "Dream" vacation and would have to look at fat pictures of me later. That was it. I finally had what I needed to motivate me: a goal.

This was back in Feb. Now that I had the motivation, I needed a plan (I am a planner after all). I discussed with a friend weight watchers. I know many people who have been successful with it, but I really didn't like the idea of going to meetings. I have a very crazy schedule and knew I couldn't commit to a regular meeting schedule. Also, I didn't really want to count points. The way I look at it if I'm going to count points, I might as well count calories. Then I thought maybe I should go to the dietician they have at my MD's office. I've been down that road before and it didn't work though. Finally, I decided I would look into Slimfast. I tried it years ago and I remember it not being so bad. Lots of people have told me lots of bad stuff about Slimfast. but I don't think it's from any real experience. I decided I would try the Slimfast for two weeks. If I didn't have any results, then I would do something else. I also decided I would step up my exercising. Up till now the only exercise I got was walking the dog around 20-30 minutes a day. I never quit the gym, so I commited to at least one day at the gym and 1 hour a day of walking.

Let me tell you the first week, maybe even two, was a killer. I went from eating whatever, whenever to 1200 calories a day. For those of you who aren't familiar with Slimfast you have a shake for breakfast and lunch, you can have 3 - 100 calorie snacks and then a 500 calorie meal. I was starving for the first week. And I was mean, at least that's what Ian says. :rotfl: But I stuck it out and lost 3lbs the first week and 2 the second. :cool1:

OK long story short (or longer), it's been 18 weeks since I've started and I weighed in today at 137. That's 20lbs down. My goal is to be within the healthy weight for my height (115-132 for 5'1"), but ideally, I would like to be around 125. So I've set my goal at 30lbs. Only 10 more to go and I have 10 weeks to go. I can use all the pixiedust: I can get.

My next posts will be more of the planning info for the cruise, but I will also be keeping you updated on the weight loss as well. (This is another way to keep me on my goal).:thumbsup2

I'll be following along! I hope your diet goes well. We're on the Dream for Thanksgiving and I'm dieting now too, but not with the cruise in mind as my focus. It's a good idea though!

Thanks for joining in. I'm so excited to know that people are interested. I hope to get support in my quest as well as be an inspiration to others. If nothing else, at 20lbs down, I'm looking pretty good. I keep singing "I'm sexy and I know it" to my kids. It drives them nuts. :rotfl:

Congratulations on your weight loss! 20lbs is a great accomplishment. I too have struggled w/ weight for a few years now. Like you, I was thin (110 lbs, 5'3") when I was younger. Even after having my first 2 kids. But after I turned 30 it seems as thought the weight kept piling on along w/ age.:confused3

My family & I are going on a 4 night Dream cruise in October for my son's 5th bday. I have lost 25lbs since November. But I was 185lbs when I started so I have a bit more to go til I reach my goal weight of 140. (My husband likes a little meat on my bones):goodvibes!

So, with that said, I know how you feel. I will keep checking on your progress & your trip report as I know you are very excited for both the cruise & the "new" you! Good luck & please post pics of you as you go so we can all see your transformation!

Congratulations on your weight loss! 20lbs is a great accomplishment. I too have struggled w/ weight for a few years now. Like you, I was thin (110 lbs, 5'3") when I was younger. Even after having my first 2 kids. But after I turned 30 it seems as thought the weight kept piling on along w/ age.:confused3

My family & I are going on a 4 night Dream cruise in October for my son's 5th bday. I have lost 25lbs since November. But I was 185lbs when I started so I have a bit more to go til I reach my goal weight of 140. (My husband likes a little meat on my bones):goodvibes!

So, with that said, I know how you feel. I will keep checking on your progress & your trip report as I know you are very excited for both the cruise & the "new" you! Good luck & please post pics of you as you go so we can all see your transformation!

Thanks for joining in and thanks for the encouragement. I have to say that I feel great. Even though I still have some "meat on my bones" I look good at 137, so I'm sure you will look great at 140. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup2 It's not easy, but it's definitely worth it!

Now for details about our trip. We (or I should say I) have had this trip booked for about a year and a half. I chose this date for two reasons. First, I wanted to book as far out as possible to get the best possible price. Second was that I didn't want to interrupt the school year. Our last trip to Disney was in October, 2010. We took the kids out of school, and it didn't really sit well with the school district, so I didn't want to deal with that again. August 29-Sept 1 is the latest possible date we could go without interrupting the school year. We get back the day before Labor Day and the kids start school the following Tuesday. In retrospect, I should have booked for after school got out in June (today yea), then we'd be almost ready to go, and it wouldn't be so hot yet in Florida (live and learn).
The cruise is four nights from August 29 to Sept 1 to the Bahamas. It's the alternate itinerary, so we go to Nassau day one, one day at sea, Castaway Cay, and then back to Port Canaveral. I figured a four night would be just enough for us to get the cruise experience. If all works out well, our next cruise will be for longer (baby steps).
I haven't used a travel agent for our Disney trips since our disneymoon 14 years ago, but figured I'd be better off since I've never cruised before. I went with Small World and Marion has been great. She lives in New England, so every time we talk we discuss the weather (always interesting in New England). Since there are five of us she helped us decide on the type of cabin that would be best for us. Turns out we have two inside cabins on deck 7 across from each other. Which is fine with me because I think the virtual porthole is the coolest thing ever (that's the computer geek in me coming out).
A little back story would be helpful here. My MIL, Roberta, has sleep apnea and snores like a drunken sailor. When we went to Disney in 2007 we had a cabin at Fort Wilderness. They are very nice and I recommend them, but Sarah and I shared the bedroom with Memere (that's what we call MIL) and I did not sleep well. Not wanting to repeat that experience, I told Marion that Memere needed her own place to sleep. The best option for us was two staterooms. I requested connecting rooms, but believe it or not, the good ones were already taken even over 18 months out. So Marion suggested having staterooms across the hall. That way we could prop the doors open and move back and forth between them. We are in a very short hallway so I thought that was an ingenious solution (have to add door stops to my list of things to buy).
The other reason I chose a 4 night cruise is that I wanted to have time to visit my sister as well. My big sister, Karen, lives in Melborne which is about 30 miles south of Coco Beach. Every time we go to Disney, I try to make time to be with her as well. It's always a challenge to meet up with her because quite frankly, I hate to take away from my Disney time. She usually meets us and spends a day in one of the parks with us, but I always end up feeling guilty because I know that she had to spend her time and money to see us and we never end up seeing her husband (Jim). So this time I decided we would go down a few nights early, visit with her, and enjoy some things in the area before the cruise. So our official vacation begins August 25 and ends when we arrive back from the cruise on Sept 1. This is the longest vacation I've had since my honeymoon and I'm really looking forward to it.

More of the details in my next post.

I'm enjoying your pre-TR! We are in the same boat, so to speak. I am also trying to lose weight before our first ever cruise to Alaska in a couple of months. It's hard work. Keep us posted on your progress!

I just wanted to let you know, that if it makes you feel any better about the dates you booked, the weather in FL now is at about a high of 91-93. So there is only about 5 degree difference from now to Late August! Can't wait to hear more!

Hi there!:)...We will be on the same cruise as you!!:banana:...We are first timers too....coming all the way from the UK. It will be me Dh and our 12 year old dd...Cant wait to hear more!...Have you checked in online yet?..I just did today.Got a 11am port arrival!!:thumbsup2

I'm enjoying your pre-TR! We are in the same boat, so to speak. I am also trying to lose weight before our first ever cruise to Alaska in a couple of months. It's hard work. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for joining in. I'm sending you some pixiedust:

I just wanted to let you know, that if it makes you feel any better about the dates you booked, the weather in FL now is at about a high of 91-93. So there is only about 5 degree difference from now to Late August! Can't wait to hear more!

Good to know that it really won't matter that much.

Hi there!:)...We will be on the same cruise as you!!:banana:...We are first timers too....coming all the way from the UK. It will be me Dh and our 12 year old dd...Cant wait to hear more!...Have you checked in online yet?..I just did today.Got a 11am port arrival!!:thumbsup2

Hi, thanks for joining in shipmate. Have you seen the cruise meet forum for our cruise? Here's the link http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2656338.

I haven't checked in yet. Believe it or not, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to get that done. 11:00 am sounds good. I'll let you know what we get.

As I mentioned, I was 157lbs when I started my "Diet for the Dream". Like most women, I used to be skinny before I had kids. Here I am in my 20's on one of my first trips to Disney (I'm not sure if this is Disneyworld or Disneyland, if anyone can tell let me know).

Disney20s.jpg

This looks like it was taken at Disneyland! :thumbsup2

I am also dieting for my first Disney cruise, but I have quite a bit more to lose - almost 100 lbs. Luckily our cruise isn't until February 2013, so if I don't get there completely, I should be pretty close!

Anyway, good luck!

Hi! We will be on the same cruise as you!! I just started following the cruise thread and signed up for the FE. This is our first Disney cruise, and first cruise ever!

I really need to lose weight also, I'm very overweight for my height of 5'. Like you I have tried many things, got motivated, then for some reason just stopped. Weight watchers was wonderful but it's hard for me to get to the meetings on a regular basis.

You have really motivated me... I think I should start tomorrow morning by getting on the treadmill for a while. I use to do it an hour a day!

Can't wait to meet you on the cruise - we are in stateroom #7616
It will be me, my husband, son (16) and daughter (13)

Going to have to follow your PTR!! We are doing our first cruise, but we dove head in with a 7 day. We are taking this cruise to celebrate the fact that DH and I have lost over 125 pounds combined. I have about 16 to go. So funny...we are the same height. My goal is 130. We'll see how that goes! ;) Uber planner here too, and DH is the need to know guy as well!! Can't wait to keep following along!!!!

Hi! We will be on the same cruise as you!! I just started following the cruise thread and signed up for the FE. This is our first Disney cruise, and first cruise ever!

I really need to lose weight also, I'm very overweight for my height of 5'. Like you I have tried many things, got motivated, then for some reason just stopped. Weight watchers was wonderful but it's hard for me to get to the meetings on a regular basis.

You have really motivated me... I think I should start tomorrow morning by getting on the treadmill for a while. I use to do it an hour a day!

Can't wait to meet you on the cruise - we are in stateroom #7616
It will be me, my husband, son (16) and daughter (13)

Wow, we'll practically be neighbors, we're in 7521 and 7519. I'm glad to hear you're getting motivated again.

I've been away from the board for a bit. I will try to post something this weekend.

Going to have to follow your PTR!! We are doing our first cruise, but we dove head in with a 7 day. We are taking this cruise to celebrate the fact that DH and I have lost over 125 pounds combined. I have about 16 to go. So funny...we are the same height. My goal is 130. We'll see how that goes! ;) Uber planner here too, and DH is the need to know guy as well!! Can't wait to keep following along!!!!

That is so great and inspiring to me. Keep it up. :thumbsup2 I hope you make it.

Our first cruise is in January! Congratulations on your weight loss, that's awesome and very inspiring. Can't wait to see everyone hit their goals!

Last summer I lost 30 lbs and it felt GREAT! Unfortunately I gained 10 of it back. I was feeling so great and everyone was telling me how great I looked and I just couldn't get motivated to keep going. I'm 5'10" and teetering right at the 200 mark :scared:. My healthy weight range is 128-173. I'd be ecstatic to be just down to 170, but I wouldn't complain about 150 :) :yay:

This is DH and I in May 2011 (I don't have any pics of just me. lol)
228275_10150172369881432_511110_n.jpg

And here we are again in July 2011
312500_10150284237471432_232889412_n.jpg

I lost weight on a controversial diet and I lost it very quickly, but it also helped me change my eating habits and be healthier. I've been using Sparkpeople off and on for a long time also. I was drinking slimfast for awhile, but I just like real food, it's all a mind thing I think.

I did water aerobics last night with a group of ladies that meet at the public pool and it was amazing! I plan to hit the pool this afternoon and do some aerobics on my own, since the group won't be meeting today.

Well I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. Its been borderline for years but recently took a big jump into actual diabetes. I now HAVE to lose weigh for many reasons. Hoping the cruise will motivate me. Sailing 8/ 29 so theres not much time. My ultomate goal is to lose 45-50 pounds.

Uggh.....trying to not think of the long road ahead but small goals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter