Did you get shingles or other side effects from getting the shingle vaccine?

Mild pain at the injection site for an hour or two after the first shot. No pain for the second shot.

In general it’s always always better to get vaccinated if you can. You would rather have the protection and be able to prevent accidentally exposing others unknowingly then catch a vaccine preventable disease. I’ve heard what it’s like from a friend to have shingles. It ain’t pleasant.
You can still get shingles, even after being vaccinated.

I had no issues. My sister recently had the first shot of the new series. She had a few hive like places, but they only lasted a few hours.

I had the first shot a year ago April and was supposed to get the second one in the fall, but when I went for my appointment, the receptionist sent me home because they ran out. So I never got my second shot. My doctor basically told me, “Good luck trying to find a shot.”

I had the first shot a year ago April and was supposed to get the second one in the fall, but when I went for my appointment, the receptionist sent me home because they ran out. So I never got my second shot. My doctor basically told me, “Good luck trying to find a shot.”

To be effective, you're supposed to get the second shot in 2-6 months. As for anyone saying you can still get shingles, well, yeah, but you stand a much lower chance of getting them if you've had the vaccine. That's not a reason to not get it. It is, though, an excuse.

According to the CDC:
  • In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 97% effective in preventing shingles; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 91% effective.

I know several people who've had Shingles -- some had really intense cases, while others were "fortunate" enough to only be mildly affected, but ALL agreed that it's a miserable experience. I even know a couple 20-somethings who've been struck by Shingles. It seems to me that it's a disease on the upswing.

I just recently had the shot, even though I'm not "old enough". I figure it's smart for several reasons:
- I did have to pay out of pocket for my shot, but if I were to get Shingles, I'd pay a good bit more in medications and missed work.
- I did feel somewhat sick after taking the shot, but I chose the timing. If I were to get Shingles, I'd have no control over when it hit me -- and it would certainly happen just before a vacation or when I had other important plans.
- Once being sick from the shot is over, it's done. On the other hand, you can get Shingles multiple times.
- I forget the percentages, but it was something huge -- was it maybe 1 out of 5 people over a certain age? Whatever the number, it seemed quite daunting to me.
- You know you can get Shingles in your ears, your nose, your mouth? I'm not sure about your eyes. That thought is enough to send me running for the vaccine.
- The shot is totally worth the peace of mind. Shingles is one thing I can cross off my list of concerns. I never have to have another Shingles shot -- unless they create a better version.

For anyone who's planning to have the shots, here's a bit of information: I told my doctor at a regular check-up that I wanted to have the shot. They do not keep it "on hand". Rather, he "ordered it to the pharmacy". I had to wait a couple days for it to come in, then the pharmacist gave me the first shot. They kept the second half of the vaccine in the refrigerator with my name on it, and I had to return two months later to repeat the process.

Last edited:

I hope the vaccine is more available now. I had been looking for over a year to get it. I did get the 'original' maybe 10 years ago.

What did you find in research? Everything I've found says the shot is over 90% effective and has a few side effects. I'm very, very healthy, rarely get sick and when I do, it's mild and I wasn't going to risk getting shingles. You'd think, since you've had them you'd get the shot. What did you read that said it wouldn't help?

The articles I read said it might and it might not prevent you from getting them again if you've had them before. Since I don't react well to medication and tend to not have horrible reactions to actual illnesses, I choose to not get the shot. For some reason my weird body has the cure is worse than the disease reaction.

The articles I read said it might and it might not prevent you from getting them again if you've had them before. Since I don't react well to medication and tend to not have horrible reactions to actual illnesses, I choose to not get the shot. For some reason my weird body has the cure is worse than the disease reaction.

My mother, father and MIL who have all had shingles were told to get the shot.

I know several people who've had Shingles -- some had really intense cases, while others were "fortunate" enough to only be mildly affected, but ALL agreed that it's a miserable experience. I even know a couple 20-somethings who've been struck by Shingles. It seems to me that it's a disease on the upswing.

I just recently had the shot, even though I'm not "old enough". I figure it's smart for several reasons:
- I did have to pay out of pocket for my shot, but if I were to get Shingles, I'd pay a good bit more in medications and missed work.
- I did feel somewhat sick after taking the shot, but I chose the timing. If I were to get Shingles, I'd have no control over when it hit me -- and it would certainly happen just before a vacation or when I had other important plans.
- Once being sick from the shot is over, it's done. On the other hand, you can get Shingles multiple times.
- I forget the percentages, but it was something huge -- was it maybe 1 out of 5 people over a certain age? Whatever the number, it seemed quite daunting to me.
- You know you can get Shingles in your ears, your nose, your mouth? I'm not sure about your eyes. That thought is enough to send me running for the vaccine.
- The shot is totally worth the peace of mind. Shingles is one thing I can cross off my list of concerns. I never have to have another Shingles shot -- unless they create a better version.

For anyone who's planning to have the shots, here's a bit of information: I told my doctor at a regular check-up that I wanted to have the shot. They do not keep it "on hand". Rather, he "ordered it to the pharmacy". I had to wait a couple days for it to come in, then the pharmacist gave me the first shot. They kept the second half of the vaccine in the refrigerator with my name on it, and I had to return two months later to repeat the process.

You can get them in/on your eyes. That's where my MIL had them. It affected her vision.

Op here, thank you all for your experience with this topic or know about it from someone you know.

I need to check with insurance if the shot is covered. I hope I would only get a mild reaction. Sorry for those who had it severe.

Last edited:
I had no side effects. My arm was a little sore at the needle site, but no worse than any other injection.

You can get them in/on your eyes. That's where my MIL had them. It affected her vision.
Okay, if I hadn't already had the shot, THAT THOUGHT ALONE would be enough to make me pick up the phone and put things in motion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter