Did you change plans for this Long weekend- due to gas prices?

We still have an hour wait for gas here, so we definitely have stayed home this weekend....

We just got back from WDW last week. With Katrina Crisis, I just wanted to stay home. Thinking this gas shortage problem will get worse. I also didn't like hearing that heating costs this winter can cost up to 25% more!

We didn't have plans to go out of town, but if we did I would probably have cancelled them. Not only the price of gas, but the availability is also a concern. I wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere.

Even without the gas crisis, we wouldn't have made a trip this weekend. It just somehow doesn't seem right to be out enjoying ourselves when so many have lost their lives, homes, posessions, etc. We are a nation in mourning now. I wonder if they will fly the flag at half mast for the victims of Katrina? :sad1: :sad:

Instead of going to the beaches/shore -we will be doing more local activities. Since Dh & I don't have a day off together (he works Tues-sat and I work Sun-Weds) having today off together for a family day is important. So what I did is a membership to our local Children's museum- they are offering the rest of 2005 free w/ 2006 membership. They also coordinate w/ certain local places for free entrance- today we will go to the Aquarium for free (sept is free admission to the aquarium and zoo) .

We'll also bring donations of water, diapers, wipes to the convention center so the girls will also be doing spmething to help others.

I tried to do my errands (grocery shopping, etc) on the way home from church. Normally Saturday is errand day but I decided to do all of those errands while I was already out. It's a 30 mi (RT) from my house to church. The price of gas makes me plan my trips more efficiently.

We drove 1 1/2 hours each way to my parents and spent the night. Gas prices are around $3.19 for regular and every station we passed had gas and no lines. I got gas on Thursday after work and will need it again the end of this week. When you figure out the cost, you're not spending a whole lot more. It's more psychological than anything else. And there is no overall shortage of gasoline, just a few pockets and panicked areas.

Actually, I agree with poster who said the price increase is more psychological than anything. If gas increases 20 cents per gallon, and I have a 20 gallon tank, that's another $4 to fill up. Yes, that adds up, especially if you fill up more than once a week. However, $4 is not the end of life as we know it. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, just put it in perspective. And, yes, I'm conserving gas and modifying my driving. I used to pick my children up from school. I had to get there early to get a parking space and had to run the a/c due to the heat. I let the kids walk home now. Actually, they think its grand, its another step towards independence. (They're 8 year old twins.) I still drive them to school, but drop them off about a block early and they walk the rest of the way so, there again, I don't waste gas waiting in line. Let's just hope this spike in gas prices is temporary. Perhaps its time to buy stock in gas!

DD moved into her own apartment in Michigan, 4 hours away. We drove all three cars there to carry all of her stuff and get ourselves home. Gas was high ($3.69) but readily available. Not really something we'd cancel.

DH and I are sitting home recovering on Monday, but that was our plan all along.

Gotta say I'm surprised by how many are saying they changed plans. If we can make that a lifestyle and not a one weekend choice, supplies may easily stretch to meet demand.

Anybody send the money they saved to help the relief effort?

We considered cancelling our trip to Gatlinburg, TN, but my MIL and FIL were meeting us there, driving from OH for DDs birthday, so we went. We had no problems finding gas, and had a really fun weekend. Sure, it cost us an extra $10 or so because of the gas price increase, but it was worth it for DD to see her Grandma and Granddaddy- she only gets to see them 1 or 2 times a year.

No change of plans here- Drove 1200 miles round trip to visit the inlaws. I was tempted to change plans but MIL is ill.

I should note that traffic was very light on Saturday. I heard on the news that it was light all weekend. Thanks for staying home everybody!

;)

we carpooled with our friends. Intstead o taking two SUVs, we squeezed into 1 (4 adults, 3 kids and 1 dog). All with a "turtle top" on the luggage rack. Instead of spending $300 for gas round trip/per SUV, we split the bill. A little sacrifice, but something. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter