Diane's trip report day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8(going home)

Day 2:
We took advantage of the low crowds and did a couple of games of Buzz Lightyear just walking right on. The first game we got “stuck” with our car in the volcano room and discovered a “trick”. If you hit the target at the top of the volcano, it is worth 100,000 points!
QUOTE]

I mentioned this to my kids and they both said "Dah, we knew that already". Well, hello, pass this kind of info along please!!! :laughing:

Yes, well, I know my kids would never have passed that information on when they were growing up. Heck I had to drag some information out of my husband!

Day 5:
We had big plans of getting out in time to do Extra Magic Hours at DHS this morning. Nope, it was still 8:45 before we got out the door. I guess we are getting just a little too relaxed about our Disney trips! LOL! So, since we missed the beginning of EMH at DHS, we decided to just start out at Epcot. We hadn’t done any of the Future World attractions before this, so we hit Soarin’ a couple of times, Test Track , seas and Imagination before making the World Showcase trek again. It was about noon when we headed up there, and it was already quickly becoming unbearable as far as heat is concerned. We managed to tough it out until about 3, and then we headed back to OKW and went to our reservation at Fulton’s Crab House.

We were so hot we really weren’t sure we wanted to eat by the time we got there. The heat was just taking it’s toll. We ended up having a huge cold seafood appetizer tray for two, and then each of us had another separate appetizer, and then had dessert. It was just right for a hot day. Now we are back in the villa at 7:30 and settled in listening to the Twins/Mariners game on the laptop. It’s been a short park day, but VERY hot, so we are happy to just chill here at the resort tonight. Tomorrow we’ll try again to get an early start….Hmmm, it will be day 6, do you think we can get out early for once???

What is up with that? I wonder if they are just curious as to what your unit looks like. :confused3 Both the door handle and the looking over the balcony thing would really bother me. Then everytime I walked into the living room I would constantly be worried that someone was trying to watch me through all of those gorgeous windows and blinds. And I like to leave them open during the day to let in all of the Florida sun. :scared: Sorry you have to deal with that! How long are you staying? Maybe they will only be there for a couple of days....wishful thinking....

I'm not sure, but it doesn't really look like they are around today. Either they were here for one night only, or they are making it a very long day at the parks. I hope they are gone.

Thanks for keeping the good stuff coming. It is almost like I am there. Your neighbor man sounds interesting. That would freak me out! Especially as I have a tendency to forget that blinds are open, and I could have been naked!!!! :eek: So happy you were clothed. I'm sorry the heat is so oppressive; but I hope you continue to have fun. Enjoy Day 6. I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Don't worry, I wasn't naked, but I was only wearing a nightgown!:rotfl: Hey, I'm too old for there to be much of interest to see though.

I forgot to mention that I saw MiaSRNG today! We had a quick handshake while we were coming off of Soarin', and she and her family were going on! She can't be at our meet on Monday, but I was glad to get to meet Marie.

Day 6:
I can hardly believe we only have two days left! This morning we FINALLY made it out the door early!!! We were on the bus to DHS by 8:30 and inside waiting for rope drop. We walked quickly to TSMM and walked right on with no wait….hardly even slowed down to pick up the glasses! We hoped to get a good score, but that wasn’t to be. We were still in the 138,000 range. It was so nice that they were giving out carnations to Mother’s at the entrances to all the parks today. I didn’t take one at DHS, but I did when we got over to Epcot later.

Anyway, after TSMM, we decided to do the backstage pass, since that was closed in January, and we wanted to see if they had changed it at all…..they didn’t. It was a nice relaxing ride though, and after that, we decided to go do the first drawing at the art academy. This morning it was Minnie Mouse in honor of Mother’s Day. We took one more wait for TSMM. The sign said a 40 minute wait, but it was actually 60. No matter, because at least we were in out of the heat. This time our scores were MUCH better! I had 170,000 and Dick had 140,000 something. I just can’t seem to break the 200,000 mark yet. I did find a neat trick this time though. If you see a tiny rat going around the barn in the barnyard scene and can shoot him, the barn opens up and the chickens inside are all high points.

Coming out of TSMM, the first time, we wanted to go get those wonderful bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers that we always love at Starring Rolls. I’m sad to say they no longer serve this!!! Yet another favorite spot that wont get my business anymore. The “dumbing down” of Disney food is getting worse each trip. I used to so look forward to the food at WDW, but that isn’t the case so much anymore.

Around noon we decided to take the boat over to Epcot, and disembarked at Yacht and Beach and walked to Epcot from there. We decided to once again see if we could do Teppan Edo without a reservation, and we COULD! We had another wonderful meal at what is turning out to be one of the few WDW park restaurants we still enjoy. That too has been “dumbed down”, but it’s still good enough.

By the time we came out of Teppan Edo, it was so miserably hot, we decided to just head back to OKW and rest for a bit. On the way to the exit, we checked the board and learned that there were still evening fast passes for Soarin’, so we picked up two of those for 6:18-7:18. That will give us plenty of time to get back after our afternoon break. It wont be so oppressively hot by then.

We are currently sitting in our nice cool villa looking out over the canal and listening to the Twins/Mariners game on the internet. About 6 we’ll head back over to Epcot and enjoy the evening events there.

Tomorrow is the DIS/DVC meet at Kidani Village. I hope to meet a lot of old friends and a few new ones.

"Day 6:
Coming out of TSMM, the first time, we wanted to go get those wonderful bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers that we always love at Starring Rolls. I’m sad to say they no longer serve this!!! Yet another favorite spot that wont get my business anymore. The “dumbing down” of Disney food is getting worse each trip. I used to so look forward to the food at WDW, but that isn’t the case so much anymore.

We are currently sitting in our nice cool villa looking out over the canal and listening to the Twins/Mariners game on the internet. About 6 we’ll head back over to Epcot and enjoy the evening events there."

It's good to see that someone else is seeing this too and is annoyed by it. I don't think Disney cares as it probably helps their bottom line to do so. My first horrifying moment was when the melted cheese came off of the condiment tables! Now they charge .40-.80 if you want cheese to dip your fries in or spread on your sandwhich. :headache: I am very unhappy with this change. There used to be a lot more variety in the different fast food selections at the parks too. Now everything is fairly standardized.....hamburgars, chicken sticks, etc. I have also noticed that a lot of their clothes merchandise were starting to be made from 'cheaper' materials. The nicely made thick cottin t-shirts were switching over to the thinner, not to last as long, materials.

Have fun at the DIS meet! Wish I could be there but we won't be there for another 23 days yet!

Coming out of TSMM, the first time, we wanted to go get those wonderful bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers that we always love at Starring Rolls. I’m sad to say they no longer serve this!!!

OH NO! I love to get that as a snack or a quick breakfast in the morning. I will definitely miss it when I go on my Sept. trip.

It's good to see that someone else is seeing this too and is annoyed by it. I don't think Disney cares as it probably helps their bottom line to do so. My first horrifying moment was when the melted cheese came off of the condiment tables! Now they charge .40-.80 if you want cheese to dip your fries in or spread on your sandwhich. :headache: I am very unhappy with this change. There used to be a lot more variety in the different fast food selections at the parks too. Now everything is fairly standardized.....hamburgars, chicken sticks, etc. I have also noticed that a lot of their clothes merchandise were starting to be made from 'cheaper' materials.

Yes, I've noticed that about the merchandise too. I never seem to bring anything home anymore, because it just isn't worth the cost for something that isn't going to hold up to a washing without changing size or color. We have purchased some wonderful leather jackets in the past, but I haven't seen that kind of quality for several years now. All those things that used to make WDW special are slowly going away. I'm sad to see it happen. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but we seem to be a much more "throw away society" now, and maybe lots of folks don't want things to be permanent.

Diane,
I hear that you are having near record high temps in Orlando. Store up some heat because it has been on the chilly side the past 2 days here on the frozen tundra, with lows in the 40°s overnight and highs only in the 50°s. By the time you come home we should be approaching 70° again. We have also had some rain, so everything is blooming and greening nicely. It has been a 1½ years since we have stayed at OKW, so I am wishing we were in a villa there like you!

Diane,
I hear that you are having near record high temps in Orlando. Store up some heat because it has been on the chilly side the past 2 days here on the frozen tundra, with lows in the 40°s overnight and highs only in the 50°s. By the time you come home we should be approaching 70° again. We have also had some rain, so everything is blooming and greening nicely. It has been a 1½ years since we have stayed at OKW, so I am wishing we were in a villa there like you!

Glad to hear it has rained. Our prairie maintenance folks did a controled burn of it the week before we left, so I'm expecting to see it green again instead of the scorched black it was when we left.

Jean, you would LOVE our location! It's the best veiw in all of OKW!

Jean, you would LOVE our location! It's the best veiw in all of OKW!
Stop, stop! I am so missing OKW and those huge units. The South Point area and the quiet pool over there are just grand. Every time I walk out to my gardens and see how long it is taking for my hydrangeas to get going, I think of Flower and Garden and the gardenias at OKW (I love the smell of gardenias!) and I could just cry. You will have to be my nose as well as my eyes and ears!

Stop, stop! I am so missing OKW and those huge units. The South Point area and the quiet pool over there are just grand. Every time I walk out to my gardens and see how long it is taking for my hydrangeas to get going, I think of Flower and Garden and the gardenias at OKW (I love the smell of gardenias!) and I could just cry. You will have to be my nose as well as my eyes and ears!

Oh, and the gardenias have been spectacular this time, Jean!!! The first couple of days, everytime I went out the door, all I could smell was gardenias! They are starting to slack off a bit now. I'm sure the heat has been hard on them. Flower and Garden is wonderful, but they have slacked off a bit on that this year too. Just the regular beds are done in a more spectacular way though. LOVE this time of year...even if it IS stinking hot!!! It was 97 today!!!

Day 7:
Well for the second day in a row we made it out early! I guess we’re gearing up for going back to the rat race on Wednesday. This morning we decided to drive ourselves, since we were going to Animal Kingdom, and our DIS/DVC meet was going to be at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani) in the afternoon. As it turns out, we ended up driving back to OKW between there anyway, since I managed to leave the camera back at OKW.

Since this was our last full day here, we decided to catch our favorite AK attractions another time. We started at the Safari, did Pangani Forest trail to see the gorillas, and were finished with those in time to make it out to Rafiki’s Planet Watch in time to watch the veterinarian exams. Today the were examining two very young grey striped King snakes. That wasn’t as interesting as the Colobus Monkeys we saw them examine one other trip, but I find this stuff fascinating anyway. From the Conservation station, we went to another performance of Finding Nemo the musical. It was then time for lunch at Flame Tree, and we ate light with a salad for one of us and fruit plate for the other. We ambled around through the AK shops a bit and then headed back to get the camera before driving over to Kidani Village.

We had our meet in the library at Kidani. It is very nicely appointed, but both the library and lobby seem small to us. I liked how the thatch is both inside and outside the lobby area. One of the couples from our meet was staying at AKV, so we went into the pool area with them and cruised around there. It’s a very nice zero entry pool with a rock slide and a very nice pool bar. The water play area looked like one that would be enjoyed by adults as much as children!

We had a nice visit with our friends in the library. Mostly we talked about our impressions of Kidani and also discussed all things DVC such as dining, housekeeping, etc, etc, etc …

I’m writing this as we are sitting here letting our latest Turf Club dinner digest before we decide what (if anything) we are doing tonight. It got a bit cloudy, so perhaps it will rain, and we’ll decide to stay in. I do know ONE job I have is to inventory what goes back in our Owner’s Locker, and start to pack it up. I did the wash last night, so not much to do there.

I suspect tomorrow we will bounce around from park to park until it’s time to head to the airport around 4.

Thanks for your wonderful reviews. Nice to hear that you are having a very relaxing, restful time. We plan on doing the same next week. Enjoy your day tomorrow and have a safe trip home.

Cyndi

Day 7:
Well for the second day in a row we made it out early! I guess we’re gearing up for going back to the rat race on Wednesday. This morning we decided to drive ourselves, since we were going to Animal Kingdom, and our DIS/DVC meet was going to be at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani) in the afternoon. As it turns out, we ended up driving back to OKW between there anyway, since I managed to leave the camera back at OKW.

Since this was our last full day here, we decided to catch our favorite AK attractions another time. We started at the Safari, did Pangani Forest trail to see the gorillas, and were finished with those in time to make it out to Rafiki’s Planet Watch in time to watch the veterinarian exams. Today the were examining two very young grey striped King snakes. That wasn’t as interesting as the Colobus Monkeys we saw them examine one other trip, but I find this stuff fascinating anyway.

Wow, that's so cool that you've seen the Colobus Monkeys (not so sure about the snakes). I've rushed out there on almost every trip (yes, while others are headed to EE, I'm headed to Conservation Station) and yet I haven't seen any animals that excited me. Last week, I saw a frog exam, and once I saw a duck getting neutered. Do they start the exams at 9:30 or 10:30, or does it vary with the day? I thought it was 9:30, but last week they didn't start until 10:30. Do they ever post the schedule in advance or is it just daily?

Hi Diane!

Sounds like a great trip. Definately better weather than we both had in January! Woud love to hear more about your thoughts on Kidani...Still thinking about an add on there.

Ann

PS- Rain on Wednesday here ! :cool2:

We have new neighbors next door in the studio portion of what would be this two bedroom lock off. I wouldn't have noticed, but they moved in last evening while we were sitting here waiting to leave for our dinner reservations. We were both typing away on our computers when we heard someone open the connecting door on the studio side of the unit. Then they started to turn the knob on our side, and the door actually started to open! It startled me, and I quickly jumped up and pushed it shut and locked it. I thought perhaps it was kids, but this morning while I was sitting here posting , I looked up and an old man was leaning over the railing of the balcony next door looking in our living room window at me.

Who does that kind of stuff on vacation??? Things don't bother me much, but I have to admit I'm a bit wierded out by that. The door thing alone woujld have been forgotten by me, and I didn't think it important enough to mention here when I was posting last night, but combined with what happened this morning just makes me a bit uncomfortable.

We were in building 40 until Sunday. That explains the security guy checking the lock offs Saturday. I thought it was strange to see the security guard checking rooms. I have never tried to open the door and we usually stay in studios. DD has been told that we never open the door. Of course if someone tried to come in our room they wouldn't get far, I set all luggage against the door, to get it out of my way.

Great report Diane :thumbsup2

Sounds like a wonderful trip, I just have to wonder if this summer is going to be a very hot one.

As to lock offs, everyone check your doors as soon as you enter the room. Housekeeping is very bad about not locking them back while cleaning. If both rooms are empty during a cleaning they do go back and forth within the units.

Many times someone in a studio will hope the one bedroom is empty and sneak over and use the kitchen and jacuzzi, staff have caught a few that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter