DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Depending on what time they let you in the land, if before 7:30 go straight to AS2 and then get in line for Woody/Jesse. If right at 7:30, go straight there. Then do all your rides and catch Buzz on the way out
The line for W/J was 20+ families long basically within 5 minutes of them letting us into TSL earlier this month so I wouldn’t do any rides before. We were first and they came out at 7:30 exactly so we waited 10 minutes for them.

I have this booked, and I'm debating if I should keep it or not. For a few reason, my kids proved on my last vacation (not WDW) that they sleep in, first time ever.... so is it going to be impossible to get there on time?

Assuming we get there on time will I get what I want done, goal meet Woody and Jesse, meet Buzz, ride SDD x2(once for each parent), ride TSMM x2, ride AS x1.

2 adults 5 year old and 13 month old.

Thoughts?
This was earlier this month so before they seemed to add another 50 tickets or so, but we did W/J (first in line for them), Buzz (10 minute wait), SDD x4 and then TSMM right before the crowds came in at 8:46. Then had a 10 minute wait for Aliens at like 9am then went to breakfast.

I have seen people post that they add on tickets for this event.
I'm curious how I would know if they added tickets to the date we are interested in?
Also, I'm a little bugged that they even add tickets to this event. I thought the purpose of this event was to keep the numbers lower not to continue selling tickets until they can't stop selling anymore? It sounds like this really isn't a limited number of guests it's just limited to the number of people who are willing to pay for it.

Experienced TSL EMM 2 weeks ago on May 13th. We had a blast at this event! We arrived at around 6:45 and there were already small lines formed at the gates, We checked in and got our wristbands and proceeded to get in line. At a few minutes before 7 they started to let people enter the gates. Everyone was directed to Backlot Express. We proceeded to Backlot Express for some pastries and coffee/juice. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast entrees as we are not big breakfast people. The pastries/coffee/juice was sufficient enough for us to hold us over for a few hours as we did have an 1145 reservation at Mama Melrose. After having our pastries and coffee/juice we headed to the front of the Chinese theater were there was already people gathered. A few minutes before 730 they led everyone down into TSL. We stayed to the right hand side as we planned because we wanted to ride SDD first. We got in line for SDD and waited less than 10 minutes, then opted to ride it again with a less than 10 minute wait this time it was maybe 5 minutes. After riding SDD a few times we then walked over to TSM and rode it twice both we no lines. After TSM we then proceeded to ASS2 and rode that with ride with no wait as well. Then it was time for a quick bathroom break before heading back to SDD where we rode it 2 more times with a minimal wait somewhere in the 5-10 minute range before opting to head out of TSL just in time to miss the rope drop crowd. We barely got out of there before the madness started. Leaving TSL we headed to RNR and rode that twice with 10 minute waits. Overall we enjoyed this event and felt it was worth the price considering we got to ride 7 rides (SDD X 4, TSM X 2, and ASS2 X 1) and have a light breakfast before heading out to a different area for the park as the regular park opened up to regular day guest.

Was there today 5/27. Me, DW, DD8, DD6, and DD2, along with grandparents. We split into two groups. Me, DW, DD8, DD6. Other group was DD2 with grandparents.

7:01 - we were standing in line at arches. We were towards the front.
7:22 - they started walking us back.
7:30 - we stopped walking in the slinky dog queue. We were in line now.
7:34 - boarded sdd.
7:38 - stopped walking in the sdd queue after getting back in line. Posted wait time was 15 mins.
7:56 - boarded sdd.
Line was growing so we went to saucers now and rode with our other group.
8:03 - in line for saucers.
8:06 - boarded saucers.
8:07 - in line for saucers.
8:12 - boarded saucers (had to wait for an extra cycle due to a slow walker in front of us)
8:24 - stopped walking in the tsm queue.
8:26 - boarded tsm.
We were stuck on tsm for about 8 extra minutes as it was broken down. This was very disappointing as we were going to go ride sdd a few more times before rd crowd got there.
8:47 - stopped in the sdd queue.
8:51 - boarded sdd. As we rode we could see the masses had arrived. Probably were let in at 8:45.
8:57 - back in line at saucers.
9:05 - boarded saucers. Was delayed because half of saucers went down.

Then went to breakfast, which was good.
If my counts are correct, we did SDDx3 waiting 4,18,4. SaucersX3 waiting 3,5,8. TSMx1 waiting 2 mins. DD2 rode saucers 9 times and tsm once.

Was it worth it? Probably. Had we gotten 5 SDD instead of 3 then I would say definitely yes. Being stuck on TSM with precious minutes ticking away really was frustrating.

Tip: around 9:10 I asked two different cast members if we could have used our emm bands in the fp+ line up until 9:00. Both said in low tones yes if we asked nicely the CMs would probably have allowed it. Seemed like a ymmv type thing but one they often allow.

Last edited:
Attended this morning, 5/27.
Arrived at gate right at 7 am. Very easy check-in with backpack. Had plenty of time to walk to get pastries and drinks and back to line up about 7:15. We lined up on right which worked out good for going to SDD first. I think it was about 7:21 when they let us in. We were at head of pack to SDD until one of our party stopped at TSM lol to question why we weren’t going there first. We rode SDD right away and then headed to TSM. The wait for W&J was about 5 families long and the shortest we would see. Bypassed and was in line for TSM until it came to a stand still about 7:42. Maintenance issues held us up for 5/10 minutes. It was about 8 when we left TSM and headed to Alien. No wait at all and my kids all loved it. Went back to SDD and 15 minute wait. We were done with this about 8:30. Split up and one party went to SDD and other to alien. Alien party went to line up for RRand it was 8:45. Oops the rope drop people were headed our way and they were insane. It didn’t affect us though as we walked straight on to RR. There was a line but we kept walking until loaded. We were done at RR at 9:05 and whoa the TOT wait was 95 minutes! We headed to Star Tours and it was only 5 minutes. Then we got to breakfast about 9:40. It was great! Plenty of food, places to sit, etc. They easily took care of the gluten free needs we had also. So we ride SDDx2, ASSx2, TSM1. No character stops. Although this is not as high of a ride count as I was expecting it was very enjoyable and my party of 10 loved it and thought it was worth it!

Did EMM today and it was great. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Caught 6:19 bus from POR and got there in plenty of time. I had been stressed about that and actually was in the process of ordering an Uber because there was no upcoming bus shown on the schedule at all, but then one just showed up .

We were in the park around 650 and everyone was directed to breakfast, so we got coffee and pastries before heading to the waiting area.

At 7:22, they let everyone in and we headed to Toy story land, arriving 7:26. We did toy story mania first (728-740) then alien swirling saucers (742-748) and then slinky dog 4 straight times, with a slightly shorter wait each time. Entered the line the first time at 7:50 and was on at 8:08. 4th ride entered 8:42, off at 8:50.

We had originally planned Tower of terror prior to breakfast, but changed our mind last night and decided to do rockin roller coaster.
When we got to that area at 9:05, Tower of terror showed a 95 minute wait and rockin roller coaster showed a 45 minute wait. But, it was actually only 20 for the coaster, so we made it to breakfast with plenty of time. They did not stop serving hot food or clear away anything until 10.

And, there were plenty of people there still eating past 10 (someone up thread asked that question earlier).

Also, I really enjoyed my chilaquiles, and my daughter’s eggs were fine.

Again, was very very happy with how this went and would definitely do it again in a second.

With the increased number of tickets sold, do you think it would be possible to be there early, ride SDDx2, then be able to ride TSMx4 before heading over to RR by 8:50?

We don’t have littles anymore. My youngest is 13 and we are all ultra competitive (in a fun way) on TSM. We will be a party of 8.

Doing this next week on 6/3 with my 3 year old and 20 month old. I'd like to make meeting Woody and Jessie the first stop. Is their lineup well marked? Where abouts when you enter the land?

Wondering how today’s EMM went and if the 7:00 A.M. EMH at AK may have drawn a few folks in that direction who might have purchased this? We’re booked for May 29th but there are no A.M. EMH at other parks that day. Wishing for that crystal ball....haha. :magnify:

We had a great time. Did SDD x3, AS Sx2, TSMM, and Woody/Jessie. We met Woody/Jessie at 7:33 after getting in line at 7:27; there was only one party ahead of us. They walked us back around 7:22.

I think someone upthread mentioned mechanical issues with TSMM. We must have hit the line then (13-15 min wait instead of the typically recorded 5 min; we waited at most 10 for SDD) because that was our longest wait, and we could have probably done it twice if there were no issues since walking the queue takes time as well.

Last edited:
Doing this next week on 6/3 with my 3 year old and 20 month old. I'd like to make meeting Woody and Jessie the first stop. Is their lineup well marked? Where abouts when you enter the land?

It’s not marked, but very obvious. Stay to the left as you enter. It is right past TSMM and has a large cutout of all the TS characters with a line formed with umbrellas and rope. The PhotoPass photographer will be standing right there.

Was there yesterday also. We arrived via resort bus from Coronado at 6:40. Made our way to the tapstiles and were the 3rd family in our line. Note, the bathrooms right up near the park entrance are now not accessible, so hit the ones by the buses if you need it (my 10 yr old did).
They opened the tapstiles and let us in around 6:55. I went to line up for access to the land while wife and boys went to get some pastries and juice at Backlot Express. The line-up had changed (apparently I missed that memo). In February the very much “single-file” line was formed in front of the Chinese Theater. Yesterday there was a glob formed in front of the arches to Animation courtyard. Being the second person to arrive there I was told the entrance would be through the main large arch. As the other guests came, it became apparent that all arches would be used. However, they did stagger the release of the arches so that the cast members in front of each archway remained in line. There was no advantage gained by being in the left archway. They began walking us back at 7:20, maybe a couple minutes after I was not looking at watch at that moment.
Our plan was to hit TSM first, so we stayed to the left as the march to the land was happening. Most people headed toward Slinky Dog. We were the first in line for Mania.
After Mania we went to Slinky Dog and waited in line for 17 minutes. Then the 10 yr old finally had to use the bathroom for sure, so we had to head that way.
while we were over there we walked onto Saucers, then returned for 3 more rides on Slinky Dog before the Wave came, they were just coming up over the bridge to SDD as we were getting off the train. We missed one more ride by that much. That was at 8:48 by my watch.
We had no need to visit the characters this time, but the line for Jessie and Woody was not bad as we were walking by, so that would have been when we stopped to see them. Buzz looked like we had a pretty significant line as we were walking by. The Stand-by line for Slinky was all the way back to Animation Courtyard as we were leaving.

Was there yesterday also. We arrived via resort bus from Coronado at 6:40. Made our way to the tapstiles and were the 3rd family in our line. Note, the bathrooms right up near the park entrance are now not accessible, so hit the ones by the buses if you need it (my 10 yr old did).
They opened the tapstiles and let us in around 6:55. I went to line up for access to the land while wife and boys went to get some pastries and juice at Backlot Express. The line-up had changed (apparently I missed that memo). In February the very much “single-file” line was formed in front of the Chinese Theater. Yesterday there was a glob formed in front of the arches to Animation courtyard. Being the second person to arrive there I was told the entrance would be through the main large arch. As the other guests came, it became apparent that all arches would be used. However, they did stagger the release of the arches so that the cast members in front of each archway remained in line. There was no advantage gained by being in the left archway. They began walking us back at 7:20, maybe a couple minutes after I was not looking at watch at that moment.
Our plan was to hit TSM first, so we stayed to the left as the march to the land was happening. Most people headed toward Slinky Dog. We were the first in line for Mania.
After Mania we went to Slinky Dog and waited in line for 17 minutes. Then the 10 yr old finally had to use the bathroom for sure, so we had to head that way.
while we were over there we walked onto Saucers, then returned for 3 more rides on Slinky Dog before the Wave came, they were just coming up over the bridge to SDD as we were getting off the train. We missed one more ride by that much. That was at 8:48 by my watch.
We had no need to visit the characters this time, but the line for Jessie and Woody was not bad as we were walking by, so that would have been when we stopped to see them. Buzz looked like we had a pretty significant line as we were walking by. The Stand-by line for Slinky was all the way back to Animation Courtyard as we were leaving.
THank you for the report. I wanted to know at the coronado what time did you get onto the bus please? (we are staying there in august and emm dhs too) and at 8:48 you still had ten minutes so did you leave the land then or do something else?

my debate is: august. if i do this event it's on aug. 21. i had wanted to do mnsshp 8/20 so really not going to do emm dhs the next morning after that, too early. but i could do halloween friday 8/23 but really didn't want to because it will be more crowded (friday vs. tuesday and getting closer to more people coming to resorts for swe). should i just do mnssshp 8/20 and not do this event at all or do it 8/21 and do halloween 8/23? please help me to decide. thank you.

I have this planned for two days during our trip...however, really TOT is our favorite.

Is it possible to leave Toy Story Land and get to TOT before the masses? a 90 minute at rope drop..that just really sucks. What time would we need to leave?

my debate is: august. if i do this event it's on aug. 21. i had wanted to do mnsshp 8/20 so really not going to do emm dhs the next morning after that, too early. but i could do halloween friday 8/23 but really didn't want to because it will be more crowded (friday vs. tuesday and getting closer to more people coming to resorts for swe). should i just do mnssshp 8/20 and not do this event at all or do it 8/21 and do halloween 8/23? please help me to decide. thank you.
Because that Friday date is early in the season, I think you would be ok to do the party then and be able to do EMM if you want to do both

I would do MNSSHP on a Friday and do the EMM also. Last year the reports often seemed to be that the weekday parties were as bad as if not worse than the weekend parties. I don't think there would be enough of a difference to only choose based on that, I would choose based on what fit into my schedule. We went to one of the MNSSHPs right before Halloween last year, I can't remember if it was a Friday or Saturday (but it was definitely one of those days, which traditionally people would think would be a very busy one), and I thought it was fine. Maybe I was prepared for the worst, after reading reviews all season, but we did everything we wanted (and pretty much everything there was for the party) without a problem.

THank you for the report. I wanted to know at the coronado what time did you get onto the bus please? (we are staying there in august and emm dhs too) and at 8:48 you still had ten minutes so did you leave the land then or do something else?
To answer your questions first, we met the bus out at the El Centro stop at 6:31 or so. It is a short ride to DHS from Coronado. More on Coronado buses to help at the bottom. And, we left the land at 8:48 because our Magical Express pickup was 10:45, so we needed to get breakfast and get back to Coronado.

We were Staying in Casitas 3 and always used the bus pickup to parks at El Centro (Lobby). I followed the app for the bus times, and found that the bus usually picked up a couple minutes as it went around the loop of the resort. So, for example, in our room it would say the bus would be there at 7:45, but by the time it was at the El Centro Stop it was most times ahead and likely to be 7:42. I found the buses from Coronado to be really great. The central location of CSR in the Resort Area meant a pretty short trip to all of the parks. And the buses to the parks always make the last stop at El Centro before heading to parks, so it was perfect to grab breakfast items before heading out in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter