DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Here's our review from last Monday (3/25) in case it's helpful for those going in the next few months. Our times were a bit different than some, so I figured I'd post them. I kept exact track through taking photos.

6:26 Bus for HS leaves POR, but we missed it when we arrived at the bus stop at 6:29 :(
6:42 Lyft picked us up at POR -- we arrived at HS at 6:56
7:06 Arrived at Backlot express after quickly going through security & getting wristbands; grabbed coffee & pastries
7:16 Arrived in front of the Chinese Theater. Still in the front 20% of people.
7:30 They began walking us back toward TSL, we kept right (no stroller) and were in the front 10% of people when we arrived at SDD
7:38 First ride on SDD--lots of fun and only a 3 minute wait!
7:44 First ride on TSM (walk on)
8:03 Second ride on TSM (walk on)
(quick bathroom break)
8:20 First & only ride on AS - cute ride for younger kids, but one and done for us--teens and adults
8:26 Back in line for SDD, waited 12 minutes--wait time was posted for 30 minutes
8:48 Took PhotoPass photos with TSL sign--no one was around--no wait!
8:52 Took photos with Buzz, 2 minute wait at this point!
8:55 Family did 3rd ride on TSM & I waited to see rope drop crowds
9:03 Rope Drop Crowd hit Toy Story Land
9:08 We made it to Star Tours & waited about 5 minutes

Total = a relaxed pace, 2 SDD, 3 TSM, 1 AS, & met Buzz.
Thoughts-- Lyft/Uber worked as a great back up, so there was no reason to stress the transportation. The lines to meet Woody & Jesse were crazy long the whole time, but Buzz had almost no wait. We enjoyed the food. We ordered 4 entrees for the 3 of us with no problems.

post.php

Thank you for all these reports. We have plans right now to do EMM on July 8. The only option was 7:30 for my reservation. From what I've been reading, it looks like they add a 7:00 option after the 7:30 fills up. So my question is are they letting everyone in at 7:00 or only the ones with the 7:00 reservations? If so, is breakfast always available at 7:00. I know the event isn't supposed to start until 7:30, so that's why I'm confused. It looks like lots of people are able to grab a bite before it even starts.

Thank you for all these reports. We have plans right now to do EMM on July 8. The only option was 7:30 for my reservation. From what I've been reading, it looks like they add a 7:00 option after the 7:30 fills up. So my question is are they letting everyone in at 7:00 or only the ones with the 7:00 reservations? If so, is breakfast always available at 7:00. I know the event isn't supposed to start until 7:30, so that's why I'm confused. It looks like lots of people are able to grab a bite before it even starts.

Here you go, these blurbs from Post #1 should help. Some of the exact park entry/TSL opening times have kind of varied a bit, but this is directionally accurate:

What's Up with the 7AM & 7:30AM Reservation Times?
  • Disney is doing something different with reservation slots for DHS/TSL EMM compared to MK EMM.
  • For most dates, Disney has first been making a 7:30AM time slot available to book.
  • When/if the 7:30AM slot sells out or gets close to selling out, Disney has been adding a 7:00AM time slot for booking.
  • Most (but not all) dates so far have ultimately had "both" time slots bookable.
  • To date, there is NO difference in how Disney handles 7AM or 7:30AM reservations at the event - everyone is treated the same.
  • It appears this is a "slow loading" technique to encourage a more gradual arrival of guests vs all at once.
    • Note! Disney's website contains the following language: "Guests with a 7:30 AM reservation will first enjoy Toy Story Land followed by breakfast, served until 10:00 AM. Based on capacity, we may make other reservation times available, with breakfast preceding the park experience for these Guests."
    • Again, in practice, anyone can arrive early and eat before the event and anyone can eat up until 10am - there has been absolutely no difference in how 7AM and 7:30AM reservations are treated so far.

How Does It Work When I Arrive / Event Logistics?
  • These details can vary by a few minutes on any given day, but generally speaking:
    • 6:45-6:50'ish - they'll let you in the front park gate
    • Breakfast is available at this point if so inclined
    • 7:10-7:25'ish - they'll let you past the Chinese Theater and head towards TSL
Hope it helps!

Here you go, these blurbs from Post #1 should help. Some of the exact park entry/TSL opening times have kind of varied a bit, but this is directionally accurate:

What's Up with the 7AM & 7:30AM Reservation Times?
  • Disney is doing something different with reservation slots for DHS/TSL EMM compared to MK EMM.
  • For most dates, Disney has first been making a 7:30AM time slot available to book.
  • When/if the 7:30AM slot sells out or gets close to selling out, Disney has been adding a 7:00AM time slot for booking.
  • Most (but not all) dates so far have ultimately had "both" time slots bookable.
  • To date, there is NO difference in how Disney handles 7AM or 7:30AM reservations at the event - everyone is treated the same.
  • It appears this is a "slow loading" technique to encourage a more gradual arrival of guests vs all at once.
    • Note! Disney's website contains the following language: "Guests with a 7:30 AM reservation will first enjoy Toy Story Land followed by breakfast, served until 10:00 AM. Based on capacity, we may make other reservation times available, with breakfast preceding the park experience for these Guests."
    • Again, in practice, anyone can arrive early and eat before the event and anyone can eat up until 10am - there has been absolutely no difference in how 7AM and 7:30AM reservations are treated so far.

• These details can vary by a few minutes on any given day, but generally speaking:
Hope it helps!
Thank you! It does help!!!

Here's our review from last Monday (3/25) in case it's helpful for those going in the next few months. Our times were a bit different than some, so I figured I'd post them. I kept exact track through taking photos.

6:26 Bus for HS leaves POR, but we missed it when we arrived at the bus stop at 6:29 :(
7:06 Arrived at Backlot express after quickly going through security & getting wristbands; grabbed coffee & pastries
7:30 They began walking us back toward TSL, we kept right (no stroller) and were in the front 10% of people when we arrived at SDD
(quick bathroom break)
8:20 First & only ride on AS - cute ride for younger kids, but one and done for us--teens and adults
8:26 Back in line for SDD, waited 12 minutes--wait time was posted for 30 minutes

Thoughts-- Lyft/Uber worked as a great back up, so there was no reason to stress the transportation. The lines to meet Woody & Jesse were crazy long the whole time, but Buzz had almost no wait. We enjoyed the food. We ordered 4 entrees for the 3 of us with no problems.

post.php
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am reading every report I can to try to try to plan out my morning there. Glad you had a great tine

Thanks for these reports! I am going in August (a week before Star Wars opens) & originally was not planning to book TSL EMM (early / $$$). Anyway, then I started getting “nervous” about crowds and when I went to consider TSL EMM it was booked! This was a week or two ago, but I kept checking and 4 tix at 7am were available today and I snagged them! And, I just found out my 4 y/o DD is 40 inches so she can ride SDD! I hope she likes it! ;)

(quick bathroom break)

post.php
Thanks for the detailed post! I’m curious when you missed the bus at 6:26 did you notice how long it said it would be until another one would be arriving?

And, I just found out my 4 y/o DD is 40 inches so she can ride SDD! I hope she likes it! ;)

Not super important for you (and you might know and just be reporting her actual height), but for anyone following along with smaller kids...SDD is a 38 inch minimum! (My little was just barely tall enough for both SDD and SDMT, it was a nice surprise that he made it on both.)

Here you go, these blurbs from Post #1
Hope it helps!

Wait so I could eat breakfast Possibly between 6:45-6:50ish am? Or at least grab a coffee and something for the kids quick?

Wait so I could eat breakfast Possibly between 6:45-6:50ish am? Or at least grab a coffee and something for the kids quick?

Yup. Some opt to go grab a quick bite if there early enough. It’s not a bad idea to eat something before riding SDD several times. :-)

ETA, I should note that with the walk to/from Backlot Express, you don’t have a ton of time to work with. A small window. If you’re running late, I’d waive off Backlot and just go wait to get in the land.

Last edited:
With EMM this morning (arriving a little after 7, after coffee and muffins in our room at Beach Club), we rode SDD twice, Saucers twice, and TSM twice...all before 9 am at which point the wait for SDD was over 120 minutes! Then we walked over to the breakfast which was very good, easy, and offered plenty of hearty breakfast options. Not cheap to pay for the extra hour and a half in HS but, honestly, it was worth every penny to not have to fight crowds and wait in crazy long lines.

Thanks for the detailed post! I’m curious when you missed the bus at 6:26 did you notice how long it said it would be until another one would be arriving?

Once we missed the 6:26 bus, it was going to be a really long time. I don't remember when the app said it would arrive back in POR, but I know that it said that the next bus wouldn't get us to Hollywood Studios until 7:15-20--and we thought that would be too late. They seemed to just have one bus at that point going back and forth, so it was coming about every apx 25-30 minutes.

Once we missed the 6:26 bus, it was going to be a really long time. I don't remember when the app said it would arrive back in POR, but I know that it said that the next bus wouldn't get us to Hollywood Studios until 7:15-20--and we thought that would be too late. They seemed to just have one bus at that point going back and forth, so it was coming about every apx 25-30 minutes.
Thanks for the response. When we go in May from FQ we have two little ones that still need car seats and I’m trying to avoid paying the extra for a Minnie van. Good to know we need to make that first bus or we will be out of luck.

Of those who have gone what seems to be the best strategy for meeting Woody and Jesse. It’s important to my little kids. Should we line up there right away even if they don’t come out for 10 mins or so? Should we try to squeeze in one ride then do the meet and greet? We will come back that evening also. Is the meet and greet any less busy around 7:00pm at night?

Here are my timestamps from Monday, April 1:

6:09 I caught the bus from the Polynesian

6:23 I arrived at DHS

Note: There are open bathrooms by the bus stops, but the ones right by the entrance are closed. A boy was wanting to use the bathroom in the line for the touch points and he needed to wait until they let us into the park. The open bathrooms at that time are inside Backlot Express.

6:34 I was in line at the touchpoints; I was third in line.

6:45 They let us in to the park and directed us to Backlot Express

7:06 I went over by the theater to wait for the rope drop

Note: When I left Backlot Express just after 7, a cast member let me know that they wouldn’t take us back until 7:30; basically she was encouraging me to keep eating.

7:13 The cast members from Toy Story Land starting come out to the waiting area by the theater.

7:30 They started leading us back. I’ve read reports of them letting people back early; but this was not one of those days.

7:34 We arrived at Slinky Dog Dash

7:38 I was on the first train of the day!

7:56 I rode Slinky Dog for the second time - I think the line was posted 10 minutes

8:01 I got in line for Alien Swirling Saucers; it was posted 5 minutes - it was a walk on (8:03)

[Quick bathroom break]

8:09 I entered the Toy Story Mania line; posted 10 minutes; got on at 8:12

8:21 I entered the TSM line; posted 10 minutes; got on at 8:24

8:34 I entered the TSM line; posted 10 minutes; got on at 8:38

8:46 The rope drop crowd wasn’t to TSL yet (yay!)

8:49 I entered the Slinky Dog line; posted 20 minutes

8:52 From the queue of SDD, I saw the rope drop stampede

8:59 I boarded Slinky Dog

9:01 Posted wait for SDD was 95 minutes; by 9:18 it was 120

Tower of Terror was down, so the RnR line was building fast; I decided to just go straight to breakfast. You are able to request getting a partial entree, such as just getting the chicken.

For most of the event, the line for SDD was posted 15, TSM 10, and ASSau 5. I found the lines to be a bit shorter than what was posted, at least for TSM and ASSau.

Total ride count:
Slinky Dog 3x
Alien Swirling Saucers 1x
Toy Story Mania 3x

I was chatting with the person in line behind me when the rope drop crowd came; their ride count was 4x SDD, 1x ASSau, and 1x TSM. They may have also done a character line.

Here are my timestamps from Monday, April 1:

6:09 I caught the bus from the Polynesian

6:23 I arrived at DHS

Note: There are open bathrooms by the bus stops, but the ones right by the entrance are closed. A boy was wanting to use the bathroom in the line for the touch points and he needed to wait until they let us into the park. The open bathrooms at that time are inside Backlot Express.

6:34 I was in line at the touchpoints; I was third in line.

6:45 They let us in to the park and directed us to Backlot Express

7:06 I went over by the theater to wait for the rope drop

Note: When I left Backlot Express just after 7, a cast member let me know that they wouldn’t take us back until 7:30; basically she was encouraging me to keep eating.

7:13 The cast members from Toy Story Land starting come out to the waiting area by the theater.

7:30 They started leading us back. I’ve read reports of them letting people back early; but this was not one of those days.

7:34 We arrived at Slinky Dog Dash

7:38 I was on the first train of the day!

7:56 I rode Slinky Dog for the second time - I think the line was posted 10 minutes

8:01 I got in line for Alien Swirling Saucers; it was posted 5 minutes - it was a walk on (8:03)

[Quick bathroom break]

8:09 I entered the Toy Story Mania line; posted 10 minutes; got on at 8:12

8:21 I entered the TSM line; posted 10 minutes; got on at 8:24

8:34 I entered the TSM line; posted 10 minutes; got on at 8:38

8:46 The rope drop crowd wasn’t to TSL yet (yay!)

8:49 I entered the Slinky Dog line; posted 20 minutes

8:52 From the queue of SDD, I saw the rope drop stampede

8:59 I boarded Slinky Dog

9:01 Posted wait for SDD was 95 minutes; by 9:18 it was 120

Tower of Terror was down, so the RnR line was building fast; I decided to just go straight to breakfast. You are able to request getting a partial entree, such as just getting the chicken.

For most of the event, the line for SDD was posted 15, TSM 10, and ASSau 5. I found the lines to be a bit shorter than what was posted, at least for TSM and ASSau.

Total ride count:
Slinky Dog 3x
Alien Swirling Saucers 1x
Toy Story Mania 3x

I was chatting with the person in line behind me when the rope drop crowd came; their ride count was 4x SDD, 1x ASSau, and 1x TSM. They may have also done a character line.
Thanks.

I have been debating my post EMM strategy. Either:
a. RNRC + ToT then breakfast (and FP Star Tours)
b. Star Tours then breakfast (and FP RNRC and ToT).

You just convinced me to do Star Tours after EMM. With ToT being down to one elevator, the chance if it being down at RD are too high, and messing things up.

With multiple theaters, it is much less likely for Star Tours to be completely down. Plus, this will make the morning much less stressful. Additionally, we maybe could get in line for SDD or TSM one extra time before the RD crown comes, if we're not worried about beating the RD crown down sunset blvd.

Of those who have gone what seems to be the best strategy for meeting Woody and Jesse. It’s important to my little kids. Should we line up there right away even if they don’t come out for 10 mins or so? Should we try to squeeze in one ride then do the meet and greet? We will come back that evening also. Is the meet and greet any less busy around 7:00pm at night?

I think you can get a ride in before getting in line and expect to wait 10 min or less. We did it last week (went and rode SDD first thing) and got in line for pics with about a 6 or 7 min wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter