DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

We were there this morning and thought it was well worth the money spent! I was nervous about crowds after recent reports, but it was very manageable. Arrived at HS at 7:00 on the dot, walked from parking lot, and was through bag check and security in a couple of minutes. We walked right up to a CM with an iPad, who checked us in and gave us wristbands. We arrived in front of the Chinese theater at about 7:15, and there was a short line that started moving toward TSL as soon as we got there. We avoided the SDD crowds by doing TSMM first, followed by AS2. The to SDD where we waited about five minutes, and rode again immediately with an under ten minute wait. (The second time around a friendly cast member handed us an anytime FPP good for any ride at HS today!) Back to TSMM for another ride, then two more times on SDD. We could have easily ridden one more time, but decided to get to RNRC and TOT before crowds got there. On our way out, we passed the massive RD crowd and were so happy to be finished with TSL.

TSMM x2
AS2 x1
SDD x4

Went straight to RNRC (2x) and TOT (once) before heading to breakfast at 9:50. After breakfast we did Star Tours, then used our anytime FPP to ride RNRC one more time before leaving the park at 11:15.

While EMM wasn’t quite as empty as I had hoped, the waits were very minimal and we got everything we wanted to do done by 11:00 am. Totally worth the $$!

Last edited:
my experience this morning was quite like yours. We got checked in by 650 and headed to have coffee first. Got into the ride line about 710. They started letting people in about 720, and even tho they said SDD wasnt open yet many people headed there. I didnt think the crowds or waits were too bad. The longest lines were for the characters. We (2 adults) did TSM first and a total of 3 times. SDD 3 times twice one right after the other, and aliens once. We left the land at 845 after our last TSM and it was packed with regular park people .The SDD line was backed up to the land entrance.

There were basically zero wait for TSM, I mean- go all the way thru and be first waiting for the next cars. SDD was maybe 5 minutes, but almost basically no wait. Aliens was no wait. I wasn't sure the money would be worth it, but it was= like fast passes the entire time, without crowds anywhere.

AFter we left area at 845 we went for breakfast. Had the charcouterie- husband loved it, very fresh. I had the avocado toast-- I tried to get a soft egg because I didnt want what I had read was a hockey puck, but to no avail, they wouldnt cook one for me. I asked for and got a bowl of the scrambled eggs that were up there, and they were good. The av/toast was not great- 'toasts' were small extremely hard and crunch pieces like 6 day old bread, a small ball of smashed avocado, and a salad with a few tomatoes. The egg was like a puck of hard boiled egg. I also had a few pastries and some frosted flakes :) which I enjoyed possibly more than the entrees.

All in all, it was a good morning. We went to RRRC, my husband walked on, then we used a FP for TOT and after some shopping left the park at 1015 or so.

Anyone who's been recently know what time the characters come out? We were going to get in line for Woody and Jessie first, but if they aren't meeting until 7:30 and other things are open before then, we'll do that instead. Just wondering if anyone knows!

I did screen shots of the time as I went. That is why my times are so precise.

Thank you for mentioning this (and for your review too). I did the same thing on our morning... I'd take a random pic whenever it was something I knew I'd need an accurate time for.... entering a line, getting on the ride, etc. I find these events go by WAY too fast to accurately remember the exact timing and order of things later, but with photo time stamps you can later piece together the morning with a fair degree of accuracy if needed. Great tip!

Thanks again for posting your review.

I'm a little confused and a tiny bit short on time -
There are 7am and also 7:30am start times? Is this for EVERY dhs emm - like on the same day? Or are folks with 7:30 am start times allowed to enter way early at 7am? I was on the fence since it was only Toy Story Land, (a few years ago it was TSMM AND Star Tours, and we had a BLAST!) but I figure a few turns on sdd and tsmm are worth it so I booked it. I love tsmm. We have a 7:30 start time, and we are early risers, no issue getting there earlier than 7:30. I do not see a 7:00am on the date I booked. What's the deal with 7am entry?

Here's the info from Post #1. While we need more long-term experience to know this for sure, I think it is safe to say that all (or most) dates will eventually have both time slots and morning procedures for all dates will be identical, so I wouldn't worry at all about which reservation time you have booked. Show up 7am or better yet pre-7AM and enjoy.

What's Up with the 7AM & 7:30AM Reservation Times?
  • Disney is doing something different with reservation slots for DHS/TSL EMM compared to MK EMM.
  • For most dates, Disney has been making a 7:30AM time slot available to book.
  • When/if the 7:30AM slot sells out or gets close to selling out, Disney has been adding a 7:00AM time slot for booking.
  • So far, all dates (except for the first two EMM events) have ultimately had "both" time slots bookable.
  • So far, there is NO difference in how Disney handles 7AM or 7:30AM reservations at the event - everyone is treated the same.
  • It appears this is a "slow loading" technique to encourage a more gradual arrival of guests vs all at once.
    • Note! Disney's website contains the following language: "Guests with a 7:30 AM reservation will first enjoy Toy Story Land followed by breakfast, served until 10:00 AM. Based on capacity, we may make other reservation times available, with breakfast preceding the park experience for these Guests."
    • Again, in practice, anyone can arrive early and eat before the event and anyone can eat up until 10am - there has been absolutely no difference in how 7AM and 7:30AM reservations are treated so far.

Great information everyone. Kids are very interested in meeting Buzz and Woody/Jessie. Any consensus on how best to tackle this during EMM? Thanks.
As soon as they come out (though the 7 CMs I asked today had no idea on a time). We waited 15ish minutes at 7:40-7:45. By 8:15 W&J was at least an hour. Not sure why people would waste so much time in that line during EMM. We did Buzz at MK but his line was long during EMM but much shorter during the rest of the day (still 30 Minutes probably though).

Anyone who's been recently know what time the characters come out? We were going to get in line for Woody and Jessie first, but if they aren't meeting until 7:30 and other things are open before then, we'll do that instead. Just wondering if anyone knows!

On our morning (10/8), when we walked by 7:25ish they were not out yet, but the PhotoPass photographers were stationed/ready to go. We rode SDD first then got in line for Woodie and Jessie with only a one person wait. Time stamp on the pic is 7:37AM. I assume they came out approx 7:30AM.

I strongly recommend meeting them early in the event (7:30-7:45ish) as we saw lines later on that didn't look all that attractive. I felt we totally timed it well with nearly no wait and lots of time for character interaction (I will admit, it was more luck than planning.... just happened to be in the right spot/right time and make the call to meet them then).

Sorry can't find this question, but for anyone staying yacht/beach club resorts is the boats running? Are they a good option or would driving our car be better?

Sorry can't find this question, but for anyone staying yacht/beach club resorts is the boats running? Are they a good option or would driving our car be better?

I was at YC back on 10/8 when we did EMM. DS8 and I walked, which took about 20 mins. Left YC around 6:40AM. No boats running at that point.

My DW and DD left after us.... they boarded a boat at 7:18AM and were at HS 10 mins later (boat didn't stop at Swolphin, went straight to DHS). I don't know if that was the first boat of the day or if there had been an earlier one, or really what the 'normal' boat pattern is on any given day around Crescent Lake (I'm sorry!).

FWIW!

Originally HS EMM had only 7:30am bookable. Then later added the 7am slot to a lot of dates. Assumption was to add more people. It doesn't matter which you have booked if you go on a date where there is both time slots I would arrive by 7am as they start letting people in to eat and then sounds like in to TSL around 7:15-7:20ish... On a date with only the 7:30 slot I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows? They may add the 7am slot still.

I had a 7:30 reservation today and there was a 7:00 and 7:30 slot. When I got to the gate a lady with an iPad checked me in and then waved men threw to get my band and the scan my Magic Band. Nothing was said about times.

On our morning (10/8), when we walked by 7:25ish they were not out yet, but the PhotoPass photographers were stationed/ready to go. We rode SDD first then got in line for Woodie and Jessie with only a one person wait. Time stamp on the pic is 7:37AM. I assume they came out approx 7:30AM.

I strongly recommend meeting them early in the event (7:30-7:45ish) as we saw lines later on that didn't look all that attractive. I felt we totally timed it well with nearly no wait and lots of time for character interaction (I will admit, it was more luck than planning.... just happened to be in the right spot/right time and make the call to meet them then).
Thank you! That’s very helpful. Yes, I was planning on trying to meet them early, but I don’t want to go stand in a line upon entering TSL if we might end up just standing for a while. I think I’ll have to just wait and see what time they let us in that morning.

So our plan is to go and wait for Woody and Jessie first. Our son is still too small for SDD so the characters are our priority. If anyone who is going in the near future can try and see what time they out, I would be greatly appreciative. I expect they don’t come out until 7:30 which I’m fine with. If they don’t come out until 7:45 then I may need to change my game plan.

So our plan is to go and wait for Woody and Jessie first. Our son is still too small for SDD so the characters are our priority. If anyone who is going in the near future can try and see what time they out, I would be greatly appreciative. I expect they don’t come out until 7:30 which I’m fine with. If they don’t come out until 7:45 then I may need to change my game plan.
It was definitely 7:30. Our time stamp is 7:47 and we waited for like 15 minutes

Just re booked our end of April early May trip. Any idea when the EMM dates would be released for that time frame? DO you think its safe to assume they would still offer it on monday and wednesdays??

Just re booked our end of April early May trip. Any idea when the EMM dates would be released for that time frame? DO you think its safe to assume they would still offer it on monday and wednesdays??
They may not offer it at all, but if they do, they could change the days. There's no way of really knowing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter