DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

If we do EMM and finish up tsl, am I right in thinking we will finish off the park by the afternoon? Would that be a good day to park hop over MK?

If we do EMM and finish up tsl, am I right in thinking we will finish off the park by the afternoon? Would that be a good day to park hop over MK?

Totally personal preference of course. If you really want to do everything at DHS (shows, etc), then it’s going to be more than a half-day park.

For us, we’re probably on the other extreme and both times we’ve done EMM we’ve been out of the park by 10:30am...so it’s less than a 1/2 day park for us - but we’re not that into the other rides and shows there and would rather have FPs somewhere else and hop.

My plan exactly but ending up at Epcot. Once TSL is done, FP RnR, ToT and Star Tours and then do Muppets, Indy, Mermaid and Jedi Training for my lads, I think we will be done by 3pm. Got an ADR booked at Rose and Crown for 5pm.

We were in the park until dinner time and there were things we didn’t do. We don’t ride ToT. We didn’t see Beauty & the Beast or Indiana Jones (my DH wanted to see Jones but it just didn’t end up fitting in), and the new Disney Jr show wasn’t open yet or we would have seen it.

We did it on NYE and I would say it was definitely worth it! Yes, it's expensive, but vs. the time factor that's what makes the difference in spending the $$$. We rode all the rides several times and they even let us stay on one time on AS2 with no other people on the ride but us! We only did TSMM once because we are DL passholders so we wanted to see what was different than ours (only small differences really) I think the walk out of that ride was longer than any line we stood in. And the lines for characters was decent and not too bad. They let the other people back there early and the mad dash to the line for SDD was crazy. Since it wasn't quite 9 yet they let us through the fast pass line to ride SDD one additional time. By the time we got off SDD the character lines were the average length they usually are and the SDD line was way out past the land. The sign the person was holding out where the line was had a wait time of 150 minutes when we left for breakfast.

As far as the food our kids were hungry on the way there (we walked from Dolphin) so we let them grab a pastry and I grabbed a coffee on the way into TSL. There was a table set up in the land with water and coffee for us (nice touch) and then we went back at around 9ish for the real breakfast. Kids grabbed a table (it was very crowded then as I think most everyone waited to eat) They didn't care what or how much/many things you ordered so we were able to try a few things.

This is exactly what I am planning. We’ll go to RnR when the park opens, then plan to try to hit ToT, see Star Wars Galaxy Far, Far Away, and the 12:00 Indy show, then Sci Fi ressie for lunch, then hop to MK and use our FPs there.

The dates I mentioned yesterday are still not available to purchase and a couple more in Feb too... are these definitely sold out? If so, makes me concerned about crowds on our whole trip if they've sold out this early!

Most of the DHS EMM dates will eventually sell out, or come very close to it - if current patterns hold. The land is still new and reviews of this are reasonably positive - so a lot of demand. I’m not surprised your dates are sold out less than a month in advance.

I wouldn’t read into it as indicative of crowds, more that it’s a popular product right now and Disney can sell things very well.

And if it is the most crowded park day ever, you will have had 1.5 hours of mostly free reign of TSL. :-)

Most of the DHS EMM dates will eventually sell out, or come very close to it - if current patterns hold. The land is still new and reviews of this are reasonably positive - so a lot of demand. I’m not surprised your dates are sold out less than a month in advance.

I wouldn’t read into it as indicative of crowds, more that it’s a popular product right now and Disney can sell things very well.

And if it is the most crowded park day ever, you will have had 1.5 hours of mostly free reign of TSL. :-)

Just glad we purchased well in advance as I didn't think many were selling out!

With that in mind, do you think the After Hours nights are in as much demand? We were considering that but wanted to wait until closer to the time...considering getting that booked now too!

I’ve skimmed through most of the pages of this great thread, so I apologize in advance if it’s already been mentioned.

Does anyone know when parking opens for EMM? And with all the construction, how far away is the parking from the front gate nowadays?

Thanks!

I’ve skimmed through most of the pages of this great thread, so I apologize in advance if it’s already been mentioned.

Does anyone know when parking opens for EMM? And with all the construction, how far away is the parking from the front gate nowadays?

Thanks!

The parking lots will be open when you arrive. If you beat the guards there, then you'll just get to park for free.

We went there 1/2, had great time. We left BLT around 6:40AM by Mears. $28+tip but it was worth that we did not have to worry about bus coming or not. There was no traffic at all, so we arrived at DHS around 6:50AM. It was good plus to use Mears as it could park right in front of entrance. Currently, bus depot in DHS is pretty far from entrance area.
Security, entrance was empty, within 5min, we went through the gate. We took a few pictures at Hollywood Blvd(nice to have pics in almost empty park!).

Then headed to ABC Commissary to grab some pastries and coffee.
There were people lining up in front of Chinese theater already, waiting for getting into TSL. It was around 7AM.
Around 7:10AM, we headed to Chinese theater, joined to the line. There was not much different for line before and after we grabbed foods.
There were still people heading into ABC-C to get some food.
Around 7:15AM, they let people start walking toward TSL, around 7:20AM, we started getting on line of SSD. SSD was running fully, whole time during EMM. 7:25AM, we were on 1st ride of SDD. Immediately after that, we got back to line of SDD, 5min wait.

Then we headed to Alien Saucers, rode once. Once was enough for us for the ride. Then we headed to Toy Story Mania, rode twice. Both time, 5min wait. Then headed back to SDD again. SDD line was a bit longer than 1st time, but still 10min wait, so we rode twice again.
We headed back to Toystory Mania again, rode once, 5min wait. At that time, it was already around 8:45AM. So we decided to head back to ABC-C to get full breakfast.
On the way going back for the breakfast, the line for SSD by rope drop people were already reaching in front of Chinese theater. (TSL -> in front of Walt Disney Presents -> the location we lined up at the beginning) It was loooooong line.

The breakfast, we order 6 items, 2 Charcuterie Platter, 1 Smashed Avocado Toast and Egg Plate and 3 Fried Chicken and Cinnamon-Sugar French Donut Bowl. 6 plates for 4 people.
Charcuterie was OK, not perfect. Avocado Toast was good. Fried Chicken plate was good,but it was too heavy for us in the morning. Unlimited coffee, OJ/AJ, milk, pastries, yogurt were served.

Overall, it was not cheap but worked out really well for us. It may be difficult with family with young kids as it is hustle to wake up that early.
Also we intentionally avoided taking pics with characters because:

1. My kids are all teenagers, so not like "we die if I do not take pic with Woody and Jess"
2. The line for characters are the time killer. It looked like it took more than half hour to complete one character line.

We were lucky that SSD was running fully all the time, contrast to the report people posted here in past. I also saw somebody posted as condensation with cold weather might make trouble to run SSD. The weather on 2nd was really nice, 72-3F already at 7AM and reached to 80 at 9AM so we probably could avoid the potential condensation issue(if it was the reason for problem)

a week from tomorrow I am doing this and I am SO excited.

I'm not sure anyone cares but figured the odds were higher here than anywhere else.

edited to add: it's actually 2 weeks from tomorrow. I am truly losing my mind. 1 week from tomorrow I am going to the airport hotel for the night before our early morning flight!

still not sold out for my date either.
Come on Disney trip, get here already!!!

Last edited:
We did Early morning magic on 1/7. It was amazing. We are staying at AOA, so I ordered us a Mears taxi for 6:30am. Arrived at 6:40am, and let into the park before 6:45am. Went to have a coffee and danish, and by 7:20 were let into Toy Story Land. All rides were up and running. All together we managed the following before the rope drop crowds were let in:
3 times on TSM
5 Slinky dog
1 Aliens
and a meeting with Woody and Jesse, including Woody giving my 12 year old a Happy Birthday dance - priceless.

When rope drop crowd craze arrived, we went to meet Mickey & Minnie, and then off to breakfast and do our fastpasses.
All in all, we had a wonderful day. Totally worth the money.

We did Early morning magic on 1/7. It was amazing. We are staying at AOA, so I ordered us a Mears taxi for 6:30am. Arrived at 6:40am, and let into the park before 6:45am. Went to have a coffee and danish, and by 7:20 were let into Toy Story Land. All rides were up and running. All together we managed the following before the rope drop crowds were let in:
3 times on TSM
5 Slinky dog
1 Aliens
and a meeting with Woody and Jesse, including Woody giving my 12 year old a Happy Birthday dance - priceless.

When rope drop crowd craze arrived, we went to meet Mickey & Minnie, and then off to breakfast and do our fastpasses.
All in all, we had a wonderful day. Totally worth the money.
about what time did you meet woody and jesse and about how long was the wait?

Thanks for taking the time to report back!

We attended on January 2nd, it was our second time at this event and both times were excellent. Our experience was similar to the previous recent reviews of the event, nothing earth shattering to report (which is good :-))!

We were at the CBR, and I scheduled a mears sedan for 6:15 AM. I got a text when I scheduled it, a text when the driver was dispatched, and one when he approached the resort. it was $18 and I think money well spent for ease and peace of mind to not worry about the bus schedule. We did mess up, though, and had no small bills to tip the driver. We had only used minnie vans other days, where you tip on the app, so gave him a $20 o_O Lucky ride for him, expensive one for us. Oh well.

We waited a couple of minutes for bag check to open, there was a small but decent crowd there already. Then we waited at the tapstyles until 6:45. However, this time when they let us in they didn't hold us anywhere inside the park, we went straight to ABC Commissary. We got a little bit from the buffet and went to the bathroom, and went out to wait for TSL by 7:10. They let the crowd go to TSL at exactly 7:15, there were more people waiting this time than back in October.

We rode SDD first, the time entering the line said 7:20, with a very short wait- 1-2 trains maybe. When we exited we were going to ride TSM, but I noticed a photopass photographer standing where Woody and Jessie meet, and no line. We asked when they come out and she said usually around 7:30, and it was 7:27, so we waited an they came out within 2 minutes. There was one woman and her daughter in front of us, so we met them with essentially no wait. I would have skipped them, but wanted the Christmas outfits and this was the ideal way to do it! We then rode TSM with no line, exited and rode again, and this time they let us ride a third time without getting off. After the third ride we did AS2, and to my surprise there was a decent line. It didn't end up being long, though. We got in line at 8:15 and I have a photo on the ride at 8:22. We did get to ride during the Christmas song, which didn't matter but made me happy :P. We went back and rode SDD 3 more times before the rope drop crowd came. Each time we asked for the back, so a couple of times we did wait one extra train (dog). As we were on for the third time the RD crowd came, and when we walked out of the land the line was already out of TSL, into the courtyard, and ended in front of the Chinese theater with a 150 min wait! I enjoy the ride, but that's nuts!

We walked down to RNRC after that but because we didn't leave to beat the RD crowd the line said 45 min, so we just walked back and ate breakfast. I got shrimp and grits and the mexican dish. I did not care for the shrimp and grits, I enjoyed the Mexican one (blanking on the actual name and too lazy to look it up) like I did last time. When we got there it was pretty full, I had to walk around the entire restaurant to find a seat. we took our time eating and left a little before 10.

I think this is a great event, and I am definitely not a morning person! This is worth getting up for, and I hope it's always offered when we come down. it helps that we currently have APs, when we no longer do it will be a little tougher since it will have to be on either our DHS day or at least a park day, but i still think we will try our best to always fit it into our schedule.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but with a 9:00 park open, what’s the best time to “beat” rope drop down to RnRC and ToT? Hoping to be amongst the first down there even though I know we’ll be leaving TSL a little early. Thanks

I bit the bullet and paid for the EMM at HS. My oldest would be more then happy to go back and do star wars stuff but the youngest doesn't like HS bc he's scared of the storm-troopers so I figured EMM would be better for him since that we be 'closed'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter