DH not excited about going

disneynewbie2

Earning My Ears
:mad: Dh and I have talked about taking kids to Disney when they were old enough not to need naps etc.
Well they are 7and5 and with all the great rates Dh agreed that it would be a good time to go right after Thanksgiving. Well Dh is not happy with some of the things that Disney has done in the past and some they
are still doing. (We disagree on about 1/2) Well I sit and read this board at night when kids are in bed. I make
comments to him every so often about what people are posting. He thinks alot of this
Disney Magic stuff is all hokey and thinks I am odd to be learning all I can before I go. His
family never PLANNED anything really when they went on vacation, just winged it I guess.
Well I have asked his advice on what and where he wants to go or do. He says "I don't care"
I just feel that he is really putting a damper on my excitement on going. (Me and kids 1st
time going, he went a couple times as a kid) I even asked if he just wanted a few days where we
wing it, he said he didn't know) He also said that he would not show a damper to kids and he would
try to have a good time there. I have 83 more days before we go. Do I just not talk to him about
anything for the trip? You know how hard that would be. Anyone else brought someone else that really
would have rather not gone, but are going for the kids sake? Any suggestions?

:confused: disneynewbie2 :rolleyes:

My DH is not into Disney at all. He went twice when the kids were little (2 and 4, and 4 and 6), but now he's "been there, done that, doesn't care to do it again." So we go without him. My mom comes instead.

My sister and her husband have boycotted Disney for years, which is ironic since they live 45 minutes from the parks. We visit them and Disney in the same trip, but not usually at the same time. This trip for the first time my sister and some of her kids are coming into the parks with us (her teens one day, and my sister and her 4 middle kids another day while the teens stay home with the babies.) They're getting comp passes from a CM friend, but her DH is still not really happy that they're coming. He's going along with it, but he's made it clear that this is a one-time shot.

My best advice for you is to lay low with your DH. Do your planning, and hope that he goes along with everything cheerfully while you're there! If he decides he doesn't want to go back, don't push it. Find someone else to go with you (like Grandma.) You can't force someone to have a good time. And if you need someone to talk to about your trip you can always come here! :) We love to talk about Disney trips!

BTW, here are some of the reasons I DON'T boycott Disney:
One problem some people have with Disney is that they and some of their subsidiaries make some "non-family-friendly" movies. But so do ALL studios. Why should we single out one? I prefer to boycott the specific products I don't like. For instance, I have some real problems with Hercules, so I won't buy the video or toys that go along with it. But I love Pooh, and Beauty and the Beast, and... If we want Disney to make GOOD stuff, we should buy the good stuff they make to encourage them to make more! It's easy enough to avoid the specific products we have problems with.

Another problem some folks have is that Disney provides benefits to same-sex partners of its employees. Without getting into whether this is right or wrong, so do many large companies (including the one I work for.) Are you going to find out the benefits policy of every company before you purchase its products? Again, why single out Disney?

Keep up your extensive planning but to yourself. He will be happy when things go smoothly. My DH kind of does the same thing, although this will be our 3rd trip in 4 years and he does seem excited about it. He always says do we have to go again, but then he is so happy when we are there just like one of the kids. If you have a good game plan he will have a good time and want to go again. Hope that doesn't put too much pressure on you - lol!

My husband is the same way. We leave in 14 days, and he doesn't act interested at all. Ever since January when we first booked this trip, he doesn't really want to hear about it. When I mention it, he just goes "aha..." I know when we get there, he will enjoy himself. He just tells me to plan it, and he'll go along with the flow. He's a very laid back kind of guy. Always has been in everything. It's a good thing I have these boards and one good friend who loves Disney as much as I do. At least I can talk to her about it. Of course my two young sons are excited too!

My DH is not "into" Disney either but he is happy to see me getting excited about the trip.I am happy to do all the planning and I give him short updates every now and then and that keeps us both happy.I try to stress the parts of the trip that I know interest him.Even though he is not a Disney nut, he is very much into his family so I use that to my advantage.Instead of going on and on about a special meal,I point out how special it will be seeing DS with Donald Duck or discuss Ds's decision to do Alien Encounter this year.I also turn GETTING us to Disney over to him.He is very much the organizer and is happy to plan our transportation for us.When it's time to organize all my planning into a day by day guide, he will also be willing to do that.I also tried to plan a few things I knew he would realy like. He is not a big ride person either.We also do not do Disney every vacation. We told him next year he could choose our destination.Going without him is not an option for our family.We only do one big vacation a year and it is our special family time.I know he will have a great time when we get there.
Jordan's Mom

My DW always plans out our trips to the minute. She will ask my opinion on things, but she is the one that sets the schedule and decides where we should go. My advice would be to plan each day out with what you would like to do and how to do it and if he decides he would rather "wing-it" then you have that option. One great help to us has been the un-official guide to Walt-Disney World by Bob Sehlinger. It gives great hints on how to get to the rides quickly and maybe that will help your DH have a better time. If he doesn't have time to realize he is not having fun, maybe he will really have fun. (ha)

If his Disney related problems are philisophical in nature, then I don't know what to tell you. You can't make someone "see" the Magic, they just have to feel it. But once you have it, everything turns around.

I hope everything works out for you and I hope that you have a great time. Good luck with your DH and I hope he (out of all of you) has a fantastic time.

You guys are just great. I coulden't wait to get some pats on the backs from all of you. My dh is really into seeing the shuttle take off, and we are driving as close as we can so we all can see it. (Even being late or not going at all to MVMCP that I already have tickets for that night) I know him and kids will enjoy Kennedy when we spend a day there to. Any other guy non disney things you do, what beaches are good first week of Dec. Kids have NEVER seen the beach, so that is a must. Thanks for all of the encouragement. I think I will plan a day or two at least where I have nothing at all planned. That is so hard for me. But I am still excited now about going and sharing it with the kids (and dh too):rolleyes:

:bounce: :smooth: :bounce: :bounce: :p :p :p :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~~"Are you going to find out the benefits policy of every company before you purchase its products? Again, why single out Disney?"~~

Again without starting a debate here, a number of years ago when the Southern Baptist were in the press for their "boycott" because of the "partner benefits" that Disney offers, I was speaking to a good friend who is SB and asked why she bought a Dell computer (Dell offers SS benefits) and why she ran MS Windows (Microsoft also offers SS benefits), of course I didn't get an answer. It is easy to boycott something like Disney, it would be a much different proposition to boycott something like MS where it actually causes you a inconvience, it actually requires some effort. I would have much more respect for "their" cause (not that I would agree with it) if they would be a bit more consistent.

Seeing the Shuttle taking off is incredible. You don't realize the power that thing has till you feel it shaking the ground miles away from where it is lifting off. I loved watching the Shuttle launch.

There are some other neat things to do in and around the area if you don't care for Disney. You can go check out the Daytona Raceway, most guys love the speedway. Ripley's Believe it or Not is pretty neat if your into weird stuff. The Beaches are absolutely beautiful. St. Augustine is a little ways up the road and it is neat (the oldest Fort in America).

We hardly ever take the time to do these fantastic things because we are so Disney crazy, but there is plenty in the area to do.

Good luck and, REALLY, have a great time.

About that not needing a nap part: I highly recommend that you plan a midday break with nap for your family. Kids and adults who are long past napping greatly benefit from an hour or two of down-time when on a Disney Vacation. That is one of many things that will help your trip go well and help your DH feel the magic.

When I started planning our trip about a year out, I became majorly addicted to the planning. I read the DIS faithfully, read 3 different books, and began purchasing a stash of supplies. I wasn't secretive about any of it, but I didn't initiate any conversations about it with my lukewarm DH either. He would have thought I was nuts if he'd known how "into" it I really was. Even the kids were complacent. I didn't realize it, but they actually thought we were going to some kind of museum/ learning institute with rides like the ones at our local zoo.

The closer the time came, DH started asking questions about travel, meals, hotel, attractions. Then he started reminiscing about our trips together before kids. (It had been about 8 years since the last one.) I answered all his questions and managed to contain my own excitement so as not to scare him off. :rolleyes:

When we were finally, really and truly there, the whole family was so surprised how smoothly everything went and how much "inside information" we were able to take advantage of. We used my touring plans and PSs as guidelines, but also modified them according to whim. It was funny to me how surprised everyone was by the whole experience. Now we can't wait to go back and everyone wants to help plan.

My DH isn't into Disney either but for him the problems are the crowds and the overall busy atmosphere. He only goes with us to WDW about half the time and when he does go he insists that he only go with us to the parks a part of the time. On our last trip together, we had a rental car and during two of our days, he drove to the Atlantic coast and spent some time on a gambling ship. He really enjoys that and I don't so it worked out well. Also, during the afternoons, he stayed at the pool with DS while I ran to the parks a few times to ride some things that are a bit wilder.

The trip still wasn't perfect but DH kept his grumbling to a minimum. We enjoyed meals, hanging out in the evening and play time around the resorts. Compromise is definitely in order on our Disney trips together!

MY DH does not want to hear about WDW untill the day before we leave !

I try to discuss where we'll eat and he just says use my judgement.

SO - I hope he enjoys when we go for our first time.

He thinks I am a DIS nut. I guess I am.
For our anniversary he gave me a Hallmark 100 WDW birthday musical snow globe.

I am glad to hear - I am not the only one with a DH who is uninterested. :D

With 21 days to go my husband is finally letting me do the Disney talk! I had to keep quiet for the past 8 months and boy was it difficult. He just kept saying "whatever, you planned our 1996 trip and did a wonderful job so I trust your judgment". But now he's finally letting me discuss our plans.

My dh also has the attitude "been there, done that." I have gotten him to go a couple of times but he also doesn't want to hear about all the planning. He says it take away from the excitement of going if you know everything that is going to happen for the whole trip. We just went in August and he enjoyed himeself. We stayed at the Poly for a family reunion and he thought the place was "nice." I really enjoy going to disney so I usually go with my mother. She loves to be with her grandchildren and is happy that someone else is taking care of all the planning.

My dh also has the attitude "been there, done that." I have gotten him to go a couple of times but he also doesn't want to hear about all the planning. He says it take away from the excitement of going if you know everything that is going to happen for the whole trip. We just went in August and he enjoyed himeself. We stayed at the Poly for a family reunion and he thought the place was "nice." I really enjoy going to disney so I usually go with my mother. She loves to be with her grandchildren and is happy that someone else is taking care of all the planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter