Detailed Planning for Jan 2022 WDW Trip

ebusinessguru

Mouseketeer
Hi, Chris from Melbourne here. We're a family of five with DVC points at VGF. We pushed back our booking earlier this year (lockdown) and have accomodation 10-16 Jan already booked. With everything opening up, we're very seriously looking at a family trip in Jan. Thought I'd maybe create this thread to talk about some of the details around planning a US/Disney trip in January 2022 (post COVID).

At the moment our rough plans are:
- Fly via Air Fiji to LAX (about $1,700 AUD per person). Thinking of using Aunt Betty Flights
- 10 day WDW tickets
- Use frequent flyer points for accomodation in Orlando (outside of Disney when not at DVC)
- Get a rental car while there (no Magical Express)
- Buy travel insurance HeyMondo or Cover more as they have COVID-19 Insurance
- Allocate some money for PCR Tests (maybe $700)

It's looking pretty complicated, and coming up quite pricey ... but it's kind of fun doing research for a Disney trip.
Would be keen to hear from anyone considering a US/Disney trip in Jan (or earlier), maybe we can compare notes?

How exciting for you to go in Jan!! I’ve booked for March so pricing isn't the exact same, though its awesome you were able to book VGF!

Just with the flights, was it $1700 for return tickets? Looks like Qantas/American Airlines have similar/slightly cheaper pricing to LAX as well and direct flights might be more manageable (unless the Fiji stopover is part of the plan then all good!)
How much are the LAX-MCO flights looking? For us it's a bit dear (in my opinion anyway), so anything under $150 one way is a bargain in my eyes 😅

Also factoring in any use of Genie+/ILL purchases which stacks up on top of the park tickets, uc tourist via Mouse Savers is saving us a few extra bucks as well

Just for 2 adults it's already pricey hahah so I could only imagine what it's like for a family! But regardless of price I hope you'll all get to go and have an amazing time, and that your kids would have great memories!

Thanks. Just booked 8-24 January with Fiji ($1,600 return). Turns out pushing it later meant cheaper flights and accomodation in the US. We were able to get LAX-MCO on Frequent flyer points if we moved it later.

We got VGF at the 11 month window as it's our home resort. We bought the minimum package (when it came out) and have regularly done WDW trips every three years (bank one, use one, borrow one). Our trip this year was postponed due to COVID, and so we booked Jan 2022 out of necessity (DVC allowed us to move the dates as the parks were closed). But it's now turned out to be pretty good. Looks like it's definitely WDW for us in Jan!

Happy to let you know how things panned out, so that you can prep for your March trip

I was looking at using points for the domestic flights as well, but they aren’t lining up with our dates or don’t have ideal flight times so still weighing up that option

Luckily we booked our reward flights Syd-Lax just before they announced the border reopening (before everyone snapped them up lol) so we’re flying with Fiji Airways too, will be interested to know what their service is like when you fly! 😊

and that’s so nice you have dvc! I’m still trying to convince my husband to buy in, to no avail hahah 🥲
With all the talk about what crowds will be like after internationals return to WDW I reckon you guys going in Jan should be a good sweet spot! (Hopefully)

Not sure about OP but for us we booked with Qantas points and Fiji Airways still had J class availability to LAX so I thought might as well! Qantas economy was still available, but all premium seats were already scooped up at that point 😅

Fair enough.

It just turns it into a 18 hour trip each way, but if it's on points then fair enough!

Can I ask why you guys have elected to fly with Fiji Airways?
It was the cheapest at the time. $1,500 return. We're a family of 5 (with pretty grown up kids) so we thought we could just rough it out with the long flight. Not sure if that's a great idea .. but it was kind of what we landed on. When we booked, there weren't many options around that price range as well

Has anyone here booked UK 14 day tickets? They've just gone on sale, and I was wondering if there was a special trick for purchasing them? They look like an amazing deal (with Memory Maker and Water Parks included)

Has anyone here booked UK 14 day tickets? They've just gone on sale, and I was wondering if there was a special trick for purchasing them? They look like an amazing deal (with Memory Maker and Water Parks included)

Oh wow how did I miss this! that's an awesome deal, might try and get a refund for mine now hahaha -fingers crossed-

update: I purchased the 14 day tickets via Attraction tickets (was able to get UT tickets refunded) also got them at the euro rate which worked out better than purchasing it in GBP so saved a bit extra there. Added the extra cancellation because might as well, overall still coming out ahead 👍

update: I purchased the 14 day tickets via Attraction tickets (was able to get UT tickets refunded) also got them at the euro rate which worked out better than purchasing it in GBP so saved a bit extra there. Added the extra cancellation because might as well, overall still coming out ahead 👍
That's great! We've bought too. I've booked myself on an Annual Pass (Sorcerer's) because I'm heading back again in Sept 2022, but the rest of the family is on the UK Ticket. It's crazy good. And now they will be able to do more than me while we're there (Water Parks). Might be too cold for swimming in Jan though.

Next up, solving the PCR tests and finding a reasonable place that does it

Ahh that's awesome you're going twice!! Definitely a great deal for everyone, we're not really water park people but it's nice I don't have to worry so much about crowd levels each day 😅

I'm still really (wishfully) hoping they'll scrap the testing requirements next year hahah though I've read that they may even accept antigen tests, but info is still a bit vague on how to go about it

Can't wait to go! Just booked HeyMondo insurance (with COVID cover) with the 10% Black Friday discount. Managed to get one night at Riveria Resort (1BR) as well, so quite excited to see what the new DVC resort is like (plus try the Skyliner).

It's been a long while since we've all done a Melbourne catch up @PrincessInOz!

Yup. We should look to book in one. I'm flexible - either before Christmas or after you get back.
Not sure if @zanzibar138 is still checking the boards? We can coordinate with her.

If there are any other Melbournians out there that might to do a DisMeet, ping either ebusinessguru or myself. All welcome.
:)

Yup. We should look to book in one. I'm flexible - either before Christmas or after you get back.
Not sure if @zanzibar138 is still checking the boards? We can coordinate with her.

If there are any other Melbournians out there that might to do a DisMeet, ping either ebusinessguru or myself. All welcome.
:)

Would love to catch up! As you can imagine this December is super crazy. Just did 3 weddings last week and Christmas is coming up (along with all the prep for that). Maybe we catch up in Feb when I'm back (I arrive back 26th Jan). That way if any one else on the boards wants to have a chat about the details of organising a Disney trip during COVID I'd be happy to talk about what we did. Also .. might come back with some souvenirs (50th Anniversary ! :))

Absolutely, I'll message you when I'm there so you can choose. It's getting close!
Managed to snipe (by checking daily) rooms at:
- Riviera
- Beach Club
- Villas at Grand Floridian and
- Old Key West

A lot of resort hopping for us, but the family is older and we're on a mission to explore WDW :)

Ooo that’s quite a sampling of resorts! Hope you’ll have a pleasant stay at all of them 😊

Your trip is fast approaching now how exciting it must be! Do you have anything left to organise or just counting down the hours

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter