Desserts at TS Restaurants

WantToGoNow

DIS Veteran
I had not really given this much thought but as we were trying to determine of the ddp will be cost effective or not my dd28 mentioned that there are few desserts that she can have. I had not realized that most desserts have some sort of nuts. She is allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts. Is there somewhere that we could find out what desserts are safe for her. I noticed last group she had several of the kid sundaes but I thought it was because she wanted them not because our was all she could have.

She also has a problem with three buns/bread used on a lost of the sandwiches - she broke out in hives (including her mouth) several times. Anyone know what's in the multigrain bread.

Your best bet is to contact Disney, and the Chef of the restaurant and advise them of the day/time you will be there so that a dessert can be prepared ahead of time. Nut allergies are hard because of cross contanimation. Disney should be able to accomodate you though( make sure you remind CM waiters that you need the the special because your DD have a Severe allergy to nuts.)

If she is having problems with the bread, there is a chance that the bread is getting cross continamted with others in the factory, or possibly that it is even made with peanut oil. Check out the DIsabilities Sticky as well under allergies for more ideas. :goodvibes

We have a peanut allergic daughter and at most restaurants, she was able to have the ice cream. Not much else though. Mickey bars were ok and can be found in the parks (and Dole Whips at MK), but not at restaurants.

As far as the bread, at most places, they told us that although there were not nuts in it, it was made in a facility that uses nuts, so she did not have it. My other daughter is gluten- free, however, and the gluten free bread/rolls are also nut free (in most places), so they just shared bread. That may be an option for you if she wants bread.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago and pretty much the only safe dessert for my peanut-allergic dd was ice cream. But I reminded her she needed to be thankful b/c our milk-allergic ds had even less options. He was given cotton candy and OMG chocolate chip cookies (which were hard and dry). We did go to BabyCakes and get items though that were safe but I admit I was a bit disappointed in what Disney offered.

I have 2 kids with peanut and tree nut allergies. The dessert options are very limited. When my daughter was 10 yrs. old, we did the dining plan. She had to order off the adult menu and we found it to be a challenge getting decent safe desserts. TS were a little easier to manage, although she got a lot of fruit cups and a couple plain vanilla ice cream scoops. She was able to have the Chocolate Wave at Coral Reef and a flourless chocolate cake at Mama Melrose that was not on the regular menu. I don't know if that cake is still available. QS was more of a challenge, since the deserts are generally all pre-packaged. She wound up getting yogurt or a piece of fruit for dessert. Because of the kids' allergies and the lack of safe dessert options, we found the dining plan to be a poor value for our family.

Peanut oil is not an ingredient in the breads at Disney. I haven't even come across any breads at grocery stores or bakeries in the real world made with peanut oil. My guess is the various seeds that are in some of the multi-grain breads had a cross-contamination issue. The only sandwiches my kids have had at Disney are hamburgers. The burger buns haven't been a problem.

When you make ADRs, make sure to have the allergies noted. If you do them online, there are boxes to check for allergies. During our trip in June this year, chef visits were not automatic like past trips. We were asked if we wanted to speak to a chef and even told by some servers that it wasn't really necessary, because they were used to dealing with allergies. We always asked to talk to a chef, just to make sure everyone was on the same page and there wouldn't be any mix-ups.

I'm confused by some of what's being posted. My kids are peanut free though we don't worry about cross contamination as it's one of their mildest allergies and one is off a couple tree nuts though chefs tend to just hear "no tree nuts" when I specify the two nuts she can't eat, but they're also free of a lot of other foods. During our August trip, I can't recall a single place that didn't carry Enjoy Life products (that's TS and CS) when we asked and they always had the option of diary free ice cream or sorbet as well at TS locations. Then again, we always went to the CS locations that are the most allergy friendly because our allergies are so complicated so I'm not sure of availability elsewhere. Many places I believe also had the OMG brownies though I didn't pay much attention to those as they're unsafe for my kids due to milk.

IWhen my daughter was 10 yrs. old, we did the dining plan. She had to order off the adult menu and we found it to be a challenge getting decent safe desserts.

Actually, if there was something safe and preferred on the children's menu, there is no reason your 10-yr-old should have been denied ordering from the children's menu. As a 10-yr-old, Disney does consider her an "adult" for tickets and dining, but that just means an adult DDP credit would be charged for her meal. Most of the WDW restaurants will allow adults to order off the kids menu, and might even bring a lightly larger (adult-sized) portion. So sorry you had problems. We also don't usually use the DDP but for other reasons.

The OMG brownies contain dairy so my ds could not have them. Basically, everywhere we went his only options were rice dream ice cream (which he doesn't really like), cotton candy or Enjoy Life cookies/candy bars. Maybe because the Enjoy Life is what we buy all the time at home for him, he only wanted the cotton candy. Of course, there is only so much cotton candy even a 3yo wants to eat. We definitely felt the dessert options for milk allergies were poor. I was so glad we had not paid for the DDP. Imo, it's a poor value anyways, but especially when food choices are limited.

I also have never seen bread made with peanut oil. My dd with a severe peanut allergy ate buns all over the place at WDW and had no problems.

We did have chefs come out and speak to us at all TS. The servers immediately identified our allergies and would not let us order until a chef had come to speak with us. We found most CS to be very aware of what is safe also. The only place that I found less than helpful was Main Street Bakery. I asked if anything was dairy free and the lady just said "everything we have is right here". Uh, ok, not too helpful. The best CS we encountered was Sunshine Seasons, Pecos Bill's and Captain Cook's at the Poly. The manager there (MJ) went out of her way a couple of times to find safe foods for my ds...even going up to O'Hana's to get foods. She was great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter