desperately seeking car rental help

MousekaMaddi

DIS Veteran
I will be in WDW in July and I need to rent a car, having never done so before I am clueless and in need of serious hand holding!:laughing:
Im 45 and will be off property in Kissamee for a week in mid july, the 11 to 18, please advise, and type slowly, I really am clueless!:thumbsup2

I will be in WDW in July and I need to rent a car, having never done so before I am clueless and in need of serious hand holding!:laughing:
Im 45 and will be off property in Kissamee for a week in mid july, the 11 to 18, please advise, and type slowly, I really am clueless!:thumbsup2

First don't panic :) all have to start somewhere right? Need a little more info though, are you looking to rent a car at the airport when you get in or do you have a ride to the place you're staying and then need to rent later?

Dollar usually has the best deals. There are discounts on the Mousesavers.com page. The one with the best discount is the one for the Orlando Magiccard. If you join Dollar Express you can bypass the line.

Of course, this only works if you are renting at the airport. For more information, check out the transportation board here on the Dis!

I'm assuming you want a car for that entire time, the 11th-18th, from MCO.

The easiest way is to start by getting some prices. Always remember to compare apples to apples when it comes to prices. All prices should be inclusive of taxes and fees when comparing. And always compare the same class of car (if a standard/intermediate is the smallest you'll take, compare prices for that, if it's a full size compare prices for that).

I start with one rental company and go on from there.

Just now I checked Dollar for you, with no codes it was over $400 for the week. Not acceptable. So then I searched 'Dollar car rental coupon' in google. As I find codes I try them out, always keeping a pad in front of me to make a note of which I've tried and what rate it gets me. On mousesavers there's a Southwest corporate code, you must be a Rapid Rewards members but you can sign up and get a card to print out online. So I plugged that code into the dollar site with your dates. Now we're down to $326.85 for a midsize. That's high. I'll keep looking for now.

I leave that window open and go to the next site. Rinse and repeat.

Find the best CANCELLABLE deal and book it.

Repeat the process in a few weeks, when more July coupons come out many are expiring by 6/30 right now.

If you find a better deal, book it and cancel the first.

A week or so before you go, check Hotwire. Right now Hotwire is significantly more than the price for a midsize I quoted you above. But they do go down sometimes, so it's worth checking. Hotwire is non-refundable. So if you find something that looks good, try Priceline before booking Hotwire.

Be sure that anything you bid on Priceline the TOTAL is less than your cancellable ressie or anything you found on Hotwire. Not the per day bid, but the total with taxes and fees, etc...which it will show you.

It can't hurt to make some lowball bids on Priceline, the worst they can say is no. At best, you'll get a phenomenal deal! Ignore their 'suggested' bids. I've often won bidding much lower than that. And don't take their 'counter' bids. If you rebid, do so at a lower rate.

Hope that helps!

Try this site

http://www.carrentalsavers.com/florida-car-rental.html

It will automatically enter the best coupon codes/corporate ID's for you and give you the best prices from the top companies. You do not pay when booking but rather when you reach the rental counter and if you find a better deal later you simply book the better deal and cancel your current reservation with no penalty. I would go ahead and book now but keep checking the closer you get to your trip the better deal you may be able to find.

Tina

On this website, post on teh transportation board (or this might be moved there for you). Folks there will help you out. You'll be able to stack codes to get a great rate. Via this board I go at the busiest time of the year annually (Xmas-New Years) and get rates at a fraction of what others pay.

Also, always check rates that are NOT attached to airport. My last trip I taxi'ed from airport to a Dollar that was 12 miles away, a $18 cab ride. Saved $175 for my 10 days (booking last minute for Xmas week, many were sold out completely anyway and prices were SKY high), minus the cab fare and tip. They allowed me to drop back at Orlando International.

If you have BJ's or Costco they have pretty good discounts but it is better to go through all that you find to get the best deal.

PLEASE try Mousesavers.com. :thumbsup2 They have the best info on car rental and give out codes. Then go to the car rental online sites, type in your info and the codes that are given there, and see which ones give u the best rates. You can hold the reservations right away and if you find another, then cancel, you don't have to pay upfront. I find Alamo and Dollar usually the best, start there, then try some of the others. This is for renting out of Orlando Airport but you don't have to, many of these codes work for others in that area. I always do so well there.

more info
I have a ride into Kissamee and can be dropped off anywhere between Tampa and Kissamee
I just want the cheapest deal, I dont care what type of car, 2 people.;)

Ive been to Mousesavers and looked at deals, but cant figure them out. I appreciate the help very much my friends! Id like to drop car off at MCO when we fly out on the 20th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter