desert palms hotel

alexan33

Earning My Ears
hey all--read a bunch of posts and am heading to disneyland on 2/05-2/08, already registered at desert palms in a borrego suite--little living room area with 2 queens also. i have a wife, 8 year old, and a 7 month old--anyone stay here recently, or has any advice on this one?, checked out hojo's and they have a rate for me that's 100 less but no living room part. need some advice--would like to be able to walk back semi quick when my 7 year old needs a napper. recommendations of the best that you guys and gals can give me for a family...first time staying there.
thanks in advance...

hey also forgot to say that they have either a high 2 queen in building 1 with disney view (no fireworks when we're there so no biggie), and 2 queen in building 1 but on highway side--any pros cons??

If I were you, I'd check out the Anaheim Desert INN (not palms). You can get suites there, too, and for cheaper. AND it's right across the street from the park entrances.
www.anaheimdesertinn.com/

The Desert Palms is about a 7-10 minute walk away.

thanks,
but seeing as i have the reservation, has anyone stayed at the desert palms on katella??? just wondering if it is hideous or not, heard so many differing things on reviews

I stayed there on my last trip. It was ok. I might stay there again, but not one of my top choices. The lobby was nice and the view from our room was fantastic! We could see pretty much all of DCA and the fireworks at night. The rooms were ok. Not huge, but certainly not cramped either. Didn't experience the breakfast because it was too late for us early risers wanting to take full advantage of early park hours.

The walk wasn't too bad. Maybe 10 min to the gates from the lobby. Maybe a little long on the way back from a long day of walking. I think it might be a little long for a midday nap. Walking that distance 4 times (once there, once back, another there, another back) might be too much. One big benefit is the 7-11 right next door. We got breakfast foods and waters and coffee in the morning. Very convenient.

thanks for your response, hope you are still online, it's my wife's birthday, like i say 2 kids also 8 y/o and 7 month old--what's your best choices? thanks and sorry for pestering....

We hated the Desert Palms. We were there last Feb, and the suite was not a suite at all, and not what they had promised us when I made the reservation. We had two king beds, a desk a tv, a small fridge that didn't keep things cold, a spa tub that leaked all over the bathroom floor, and a little counter area, all squished into a little corner of the hotel. I ended up paying something like $150 a night for two nights. The parking area was tiny and there really wasn't enough. They said they had free internet in the lobby, but they had one computer, and you had to use a credit card to get online, and then it wouldn't work, and the hotel couldn't fix it because it wasn't "their responsibility". I would never willingly stay there again after the way we were treated. But, maybe we were the exception and not the norm. The room itself was clean enough, and we were given plenty of towels, which was nice. We didn't walk back and forth to the park from the hotel, we drove, so I couldn't tell you how far it actually ends up being to walk.

thanks for your response, hope you are still online, it's my wife's birthday, like i say 2 kids also 8 y/o and 7 month old--what's your best choices? thanks and sorry for pestering....

For your wife's b-day, I'm not sure I'd stay at a cheap motel across the street. Is onsite an option? If that's too pricey, try Best Western Park Place Inn. There's also the Carousel Inn pretty much directly across the street and the Best Western Anaheim Inn a little bit down. All of these are 3 diamond AAA hotels (which is our deciding factor in our family).

In the past we have stayed at the Ramada Plaza and we really enjoy it. It's about the same walk as Desert Palms, but the hotel is nicer. However with little ones, it's probably essential that you book a hotel/motel closer to the park.

thanks,
but seeing as i have the reservation, has anyone stayed at the desert palms on katella??? just wondering if it is hideous or not, heard so many differing things on reviews

I realize you already have the reservation, but you are 72 hours out, if you cancelled today, there wouldn't be a penalty. Or you can go with what you have if that makes you more comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter