Dental "Emergency" at Disney??

aidtrismommy

"Keep Moving Forward"
Has anyone had a dental issue while at Disney and where did you go/what did you do about it?
I have a toothache, no dental insurance, and my dentist is on vacation. It is very mild/non-existant at times and we are leaving for Florida on Monday for 8 days. I plan on taking advil or something when it bothers me, but if it should become bad (cross your fingers) , what are the options?
Thanks in advance.

You need to go to the dentist today or tomorrow at the latest. DO NOT wait until you get to Disney. Look in the phone book or ask friends to recommend a dentist in your area, many will see you immediately as an emergency. You can also try looking under "Clinics" in the phone book some areas do have dental clinics.

*If you wait until Monday (which is still 6 days away) and you are in Disney you run the risk of that tooth becoming infected and that can cause a huge problem for you. If the tooth becomes infected you will have a considerable increase in pain that advil will not help. You will also have the added expense of antibiotics and it may take the dentist more time or additional visits which will add to the expense.

Get the tooth checked out TODAY!!!!!!

You didn't say if you were flying or not but if flying the air pressure can really make bad teeth/gums act up and it is painful!

I got a popcorn kernal (shell) stuck in my gums and by the time we got off the plane I couldn't open my jaw at all. I ended up on soft foods for 2 weeks while it healed.

Sorry if its TMI but I would hate to have someone be in pain going on vacation.

I had a dental emergency at WDW. I went to the front desk and they handed me a phone book and said to pick a dentist out. That was it. I ended up being able to suck it up for the trip. Turns out I had a root exposed and needed root canal when I got home.:sick:

I wouldn't wait.

I actually had a piece of my tooth fall out while eating pizza at Disneyland. I was lucky as it didn't bother me while drinking cold or hot liquids. I did have travel insurance, but didn't even bother looking into whether or not it would be covered. I should have as I don't have dental coverage - I'm self employed.

For your own sake I would get it looked at before you go....A couple of years ago we were going away for a week to Ocean City Maryland and my dh's tooth started bothering him a couple days before. He was convinced he could suck it up, it was no big deal, etc. and did not call the dentist. Well needless to say on the second day of vacation the pain and swelling were unbearable (even for him), on the third day he had to drive home 5 hours to the dentist, and returned the next day. So he lost quite a bit of the vacation. I stayed in OC with the kids, and we had another car with us, so it was okay for us. But this would pretty much ruin your Disney vacation-are you going alone with your kids?

Your dentist probably has someone covering for him if he is away-I would try them first. He would probably be more understanding and able to work with your lack of insurance situation than some random dentist in Florida.

Hope you get better and enjoy your trip!

You say your dentist is away, but he or she must have someone covering for emergencies. I would agree, you need to get it looked at NOW. It could be an infection starting.

If they don't have someone covering, talk to a neighbor or someone. They must have a dentist that can see you in an emergency. I wouldn't wait, either.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. My dentist is away until monday and I was rudely told that a cavity is not an emergency and they have nobody covering. How ridiculous to not have at least another practice available for urgent things? So I made an appointment at another place and will be going in this morning. I really don't want to deal with this at all, let alone Florida, but I really can't ignore it. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. I just hope I don't need a root canal $$$:sad2:

A toothache is an emergency.

You need to get it fixed yesterday because you need to have it done so many (I think 48) hours before you go up in an airplane.

To the OP: Please edit this thread to remove the quotation marks from the thread title.

Health hints: http://www.cockam.com/health.htm

It hurts so bad because the tooth pulp (nerve) wants to swell up due to irritation or infection but is confined to the space already provided inside the tooth.

Update: It isn't a cavity!!! Dentist said my sinuses look "cloudy" and should clear up soon (I confirmed that it is not really throbbing anymore and not sensitive to hot/cold/sweet) I also clench and she said that is probably why it feels sore. Good news and now I can enjoy my trip. Thanks everyone.

How do I edit the title of the original post? I clicked on edit, but it wouldn't allow me to fix the title. Are quotes not allowed?

You need to use the "advanced" edit in order to alter the title.

Just a heads up for those with a dental emergancy at Disney: My husband broke a tooth while in Epcot. We went to the first aid station and they gave him some wax and a brochure for emergance dental. The flyer touted the dentist as being for vacationers and emergancies but when we called they said they were closing (it was 5 0'clock) and that they couldn't give him an appointment until Saturday which was three days later! (and the day we were leaving) We returned to the first aid station but they really didn't have any suggestions.

My poor husband ended up wearing the wax for three days and then got the tooth fixed when we got home.

I know you already got it looked at and confirmed a cavity, but I wanted to offer some advice.

I got an infected tooth in college (and eventually a root canal). The dentist back home wanted to do the root canal herself (she didn't trust the dentist I went to back at college -- who did the xray).

So, I had to wait a week before I could fit the appt in. She prescribed some antibiotics to prevent the infection from spreading and to help with the inflammation. I also used "anbesol" (if you remember those ridiculous advertisements "the pain goes away before you can say "anbesol").

Anyway, I definitely suggest taking extra pain reliever. See if your dentist can prescribe an antibiotic. And go get some toothache numbing solution (like anbesol).

Update: It isn't a cavity!!! Dentist said my sinuses look "cloudy" and should clear up soon (I confirmed that it is not really throbbing anymore and not sensitive to hot/cold/sweet) I also clench and she said that is probably why it feels sore. Good news and now I can enjoy my trip. Thanks everyone.

How do I edit the title of the original post? I clicked on edit, but it wouldn't allow me to fix the title. Are quotes not allowed?
I'm glad you don't need immediate work!

I recently had this happen - was under an immense amount of personal and family stress, and I had been grinding my teeth and clenching without even realizing it. It caused incredible pain that was radiating up into my head, and I thought I needed a root canal or had cracked a tooth. I saw my dentist who confirmed it was just too much grinding and clenching and stress (even telling my dentist about the stress caused a flare up of the pain). An over the counter mouth guard (night guard) can help with the clenching, and then I bought a reusable, microwavable hot pack to put on the outside of my face. Massaging the area helped too. Hope you are feeling better!

I had an abscessed tooth once at Disney. It caused the whole side of my jaw where the tooth was infected to swell up. The doctor at urgent care in Celebration didn't read that I was allergic to a certain medication, and he had prescribed that medication for me. The reaction to that medication is that I constantly throw up, and that's exactly what I did, for the next three days of the trip. That happened when I was 10 years old, and it made my mom so mad.

She did make an appointment with my regular dentist when we got back home to get it fixed. He got me in right away, knowing it was an emergency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!