Deluxe Dining Reviews-May 2010 (lots of pictures)*Updated with Yachtsman*

ClareH37

DIS Veteran
I've just come back from a week full of food - most of it very good, but a couple of disappointments.

Some meals were solo, others were with friends, I had excellent service whether solo or not and never once felt uncomfortable.

This was my first time doing a dining plan, I usually pay OOP but I'm from the UK and given the current not so great £/$ exchange rate and the price of Disney dining I opted for the deluxe dining plan. I paid OOP for alcohol and sides, and obviously tipped.

My snack credits were mainly used for water in the parks and although sometimes I had 2/3 meals a day I didn't eat all the food on my plate, I would pace myself by only eating half as I knew I would not be able to eat such a large amount of food, I also did not have many desserts as I'm more of an appetiser/mains person.

I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn (club level) and tended to stick to the Boardwalk/Epcot area for my evening meals.

Here's where I ate:

Friday 7 May
- Room Service (dinner) *post 5*

Saturday 8 May
- Room Service (breakfast) *post 9*
- Tokyo Dining (lunch) *Post 19*
- Rose & Crown (dinner) *Post 24*

Sunday 9 May
- Captains Grill (dinner) *Post 25*

Monday 10 May
- Cap'n Jacks (lunch) *Post 26*
- Flying Fish (dinner) - so good I cancelled some other evening ADRs to eat there 3 times! *Post 27*

Tuesday 11 May
- Flying Fish (dinner) *Post 37*

Wednesday 12 May
- Tutto Italia (lunch) *Post 49*
- Flying Fish (dinner) *Post 37*

Thursday 13 May
- Rose & Crown (lunch) *Post 50*
- Yachtsman (dinner) *Post 56*

Friday 14 May
- Grand Floridian Cafe (lunch)

I will also give a pictorial review of the Boardwalk Inn club level offerings

Glad to hear Fly Fishing was a great dining experience, we are going here for the first time this year. What did u order?

Glad to hear Fly Fishing was a great dining experience, we are going here for the first time this year. What did u order?

First time I went I had the crab cake to start followed by the steak - both were delicious, the steak cut like butter and melted in my mouth :cloud9:

The second time I opted for the mozarella and tomato salad, for something so 'simple' it was deliciously refreshing, followed by the potato wrapped red snapper - this was the best meal I've ever eaten (and I've eaten at a lot of very good restaurants), absolutely wonderful. So good in fact I ordered the same appetiser/main the next day!

My flight from the UK was very long, longer than usual as the pilot took an alternative route to fly around the volcanic ash cloud. Thankfully it didn't take me very long to get to the Boardwalk, no-one in immigration meant I was through within 2 minutes, no-one waiting for the Magical Express and I was on my way shortly after. However, I was extremely tired and opted to have room service for my evening meal.

This was my first experience of using the deluxe dining plan and the operator who took my order couldn't understand my just wanting a burger so I was 'talked into' ordering an appetiser, however, I did put my foot down re. no dessert, I really couldn't face it.

30 minutes later room service arrived.

DSC01470-2.jpg

I could not believe the amount of food! :scared1:

My appetiser was the fruit & cheese plate, I didn't have any!

My main was the angus chuck burger with cheese & bacon with potato chips on the side, the burger was huge (and unfortunately I forgot to take a photo as it was on another plate) and came with the usual accompaniments (lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle), the burger itself was nice and hot (temperature), juicy and full of flavour, very good, I managed to eat half of it.

There were also a couple of packets of crackers and pots of sauces.

By this time I was getting more and more tired and I couldn't face any more food, probably not a good use of 2 credits but seeing as my stay was just 7 nights and I had other restaurants booked if I hadn't used them they would have been wasted.

As room service food goes this was very good and I would have no hesitation in ordering again, just at a time when I was very hungry.

My first morning and I was up really early (due to the UK/US time difference), however, I was quite happy to just lounge in bed so ordered room service for breakfast.

I went with the "All American Breakfast - two eggs with breakfast potatoes and a choice of smoked bacon or country sausage patties and fresh fruit" - I opted for the eggs over-medium and bacon.

I was advised the wait time was up to 45 minutes but 20 minutes later it arrived.

The bacon was nice and crispy, eggs cooked perfectly but the potatoes were not so great - the majority were perfectly cooked but a few were still very hard/raw, but I was willing to write them off as the rest of the breakfast was very good.

A small bowl of fresh cut fruit came with the All American and I went with pink grapefruit juice as well as a bellini - well, it was my first morning ;)

DSC01573-1.jpg

DSC01576-1.jpg

DSC01577-1.jpg

There's something so decadent about eating breakfast whilst still in one's jammies lol :cloud9:

Clare I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me tell you, YOU ARE A WOMAN AFTER MY OWN HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bellini to start your first morning YES!!!!!!!!!! Bellinis are my favorite drink everrrr!!! I can't believe they even have them from room service!!!! I wonder if it's just at YC?? Anyway, great start, and can't wait to hear about your amazing trip!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes

Awesome reviews so far, thanks for sharing your experiences! Looking forward to the next installment! :thumbsup2

Sorry everyone, I'm having trouble with speeds, not sure if it's my PC or the Dis but trying to do a report/loading pictures and everything freezes :(

Great report so far...definitely making me hungry! ;)

I realize it is alot of food, but just curious- when you order and have to get desert...could you just order a piece of cake or something and have them wrap it up to go? Eespecially for a ADR in your resort...
I was thinking you may not be hungry for it then...but a slice of cheesecake or chocolate cake sure would make a nice midnight snack!!:cutie:

Firstly, sorry for the very long delay, but I'm now back :rolleyes1

So, onto the reviews :goodvibes

I'd been reading reviews of Tokyo Dining, it was somewhere I hadn't really been considering but after, for the most part, positive reviews I thought it was worth a go, and I'm soooo glad I did.

So I made a lunch ADR for as soon as it opens at 12 mid day. I was meeting a fellow Dis'er for lunch and requested a window seat, the charming hostess advised it was only a request but when we came to be seated we had a wonderful window seat, there were only 2 of us but we were on a 4-top table with a perfect view of World Showcase. :cool1:

I was still getting into the swing of taking photos of the food so only managed to snap my food.

As I was on the deluxe dining plan it does not permit you the full choice of the sushi menu, I was more than happy with my choices but next time I'm going to pay separately to take advantage of the huge selection of sushi.

Our server was a wonderfully polite softly spoken Japanese lady, never have I felt so relaxed when eating a meal in Disney! I could have sat at that table all afternoon.

To start I selected the "Assorted Tempura" - shrimp, chicken breast and seasonal vegetables (courgette and onion) with a Japanese dipping sauce.

DSC01503-1.jpg

The tempura was delicately flavoured and melted in the mouth, I did not really use the 'dipping' sauce as the tempura alone was so wonderful, it was heavenly :cloud9:

For main I chose the "Ginza Gozen" - tempura (shrimp, chicken breast, scallops and seasonal vegetables) and sushi (yellowtail nigiri, white fish nigiri, shrimp nigiri and two pieces of california roll - avocado, cucumber, seafood mix, smelt roe and sesame seed) with japanese dipping sauce, seaweed salad and a bowl of rice. There was way too much food here, I'm not keen on the nigiri so I passed to my dining companion.

This is the tray, minus the nigiri which I'd already passed on and the rice, which was to the side, lol

DSC01505-2.jpg

Ths sushi was also wonderful, soft, light and also heavenly. :cloud9:

The tempura with the "Ginza Gozen", this was similar to the appetiser but included scallops.

DSC01504-1.jpg

I was very impressed with Tokyo Dining, not only was the food good but the atmosphere peaceful and not rushed, I left after a wonderful lunch feeling very 'chilled', and I can't wait to return next year.

Rock on Clare! I can't wait to read more !! We're trying FF for the first time in sept, so it's awesome to hear you ate there 3 times! can't wait for the reviews!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter