Deluxe dining plan and substituting items

JohndeV

Earning My Ears
I have some questions about the deluxe dining plan. We have booked the regular dining plan for our 2017 trip but are thinking about upgrading. We would mostly be doing breakfast buffets and 2TS restaurants.

1) I have read about the option to substitute dessert for a side dish or soup. Since we are dessert persons we would never want to do this but I was thinking about the other way around. An appetizer can sometimes be too much food so can an appetizer be substituted for a side dish or for example a basket of fries to accompany your entree?

2) My father has diabetes. If a restaurant doesn't offer any no sugar added desserts then would it be possible to order something simple like a plate of fruit or a cup of coffee instead of dessert?

3) When a restaurant like Beaches & Cream doesn't offer any appetizers, would if be possible to order a side dish since there is no option to order an appetizer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

1) I've never done this but I'd be surprised if they didn't allow it.
2) Talk to a cast member when you arrive at the restaurant, and they will accommodate your father's dietary preferences.
3) See #1.

1. The third party restaurants might not allow a side dish in place of an appetizer because they are reimbursed by the rules of the dining plan (appetizer is included, but side dishes with a price point are not).
2. Restaurants will have options.
3. If a TS restaurant does not have appetizers, you can ask about your options. At a Quick Service restaurant, there is no appetizer component, even on the Deluxe Dining Plan.

As to #3, I believe the side dishes such as onion rings and chili are considered appetizers for the purposes for DxDP at Beaches & Cream.

Just a general note on substitutions to add... while it never hurts to ask, I strongly suggest against planning on any substitutions being allowed. If the dining plan won't work for you without those substitutions, I recommend against getting it. That way, you won't be subjected to possible frustration and disappointment.

Caveat: Disney restaurants are generally excellent about dealing with dietary restrictions. Requesting alternatives (usually not substitutions, per se) for guests with a specific issue will almost certainly work out.

Just a general note on substitutions to add... while it never hurts to ask, I strongly suggest against planning on any substitutions being allowed. If the dining plan won't work for you without those substitutions, I recommend against getting it. That way, you won't be subjected to possible frustration and disappointment.

Caveat: Disney restaurants are generally excellent about dealing with dietary restrictions. Requesting alternatives (usually not substitutions, per se) for guests with a specific issue will almost certainly work out.

I agree. I wil also concur that in regards to dietary restrictions, if there is a reasonable accomodation, the restaurant wil do so. The issue may in be a restaurant like B&C. If they do not have a sub, they cannot help.

Before you book your ADR's look at the entire menu. If it seems like there are no sides that you could choose for dessert, etc, you may be taking a chance with that restaurant.

We ate at Yachtsman in November on DxDP and were not able to substitute a side for an app. My husband wanted the mac & cheese as his app but the server said the computer won't let him sub it in even though it is less expensive than any app.

The other thing to note is that on DxDP, you really don't have to optimize your use of credits to get full value out of the plan. A Deluxe meal credit works out to equal roughly $30 compared to menu prices before tax. In most places, you can exceed that value and still skip a beverage, appetizer, or dessert during the meal.

As the DxDP is a lot of food (it's for those committed to dining as a major component of their vacation, as I like to say), you are unlikely to be going hungry even if you leave part of an entitlement or two unused here and there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter