Deluxe Dining Plan All-Male Revue...er, we mean Review **Updated w/Tutto Italia 7/6

MuppetGuySF

Earning My Ears
So, I am a huge fan of reading dining reviews. Just love it. But I notice that almost all of those writing dining reviews are people with families, or honeymooning couples, so I decided that it's time for the men to sneak into this trend.

So here's the story, we're two single guys who are Disney geeks at heart (and mind!) who are totally stoked (can you tell I'm from Northern California?) to be on the DELUXE dining plan. We both LOVE to eat, and in particular, love eating good food. So I think perhaps this report will have a slightly different angle than other trip reports, what with the whole all-male perspectives...I'm hoping it will keep everyone interested as much as the rest of your reports have kept me incessantly reading every last word!

Let me assure you there will be A LOT of eating on this trip. None of this, "Oh we were too stuffed to order dessert." None of this, "We ended up with so many extra credits at the end of our trip." This is pedal-to-the-medal, full-speed-ahead, dining extravaganza. Hope ya like it!

Here's a little bit about us. In classic DISboard Dining Report fashion, we've chosen Disney character names for ourselves. Another unique element of this review will be hearing from each of us in our own words. I'll be writing in the standard color and he'll be writing in RED

Me: Evinrude (definitely earn bonus points in my book if you immediately know who that is!!:cool1:) I'm 35, grew up in Northern California, so I was a Disneyland kid growing up. Went there several times with the family growing up, also went with friends in high school and throughout college. Lately, I've been chaperoning trips annually for 7th and 8th graders to the Land and DCA. Been to Disney World twice before, but neither were well-planned trips. More like quick jaunts without knowing the art of really planning for a WDW trip. Only have been to 3 table service restaurants total! I have a broad taste for food. I love fine dining, but am also totally a fan of some chain restaurants (Chili's is at the top of my list! Fajitas!...YUMMY!) I love seafood and chicken, and tend to love fried foods (I know, I know...it's so bad for me, but I can start the diet when I get back, right?) I wouldn't call myself especially adventurous with new flavors and foods, but I'm trying to break out of that shell. I'm not one to make a fuss at a restaurant, but occasionally speak my mind if I don't get what I ordered! My biggest peeve? My entree arriving while I'm still eating my appetizer. Argh!

Langbein (I don't even think we could come up with a prize big enough for you if you get this reference) is a 24-year old with a self-described huge ego and even bigger stomach. I've been to Disney more times then I can count, primarily as a kid. My brother ("DB" for all you board veterans out there) and I used to visit each year with my grandparents, from the time that I was 3 or 4 up through my 15th birthday or so. Those trips typically consisted of a stay at the Grand Hyatt, the Marriott World Center, or the Dolphin/Swan complex. After that streak ended, I visited The World twice more - once with the sleepaway camp I attended and once two years ago with family. Both times we stayed offsite.

I'm extremely excited to be staying onsite for the first time, and can't wait to sample all of the delicious food on our deluxe dining plan of deliciousness. When it comes to food tastes, I'm pretty flexible - always willing to try anything plated before me and working hard to get as much into me as possible. It's no wonder I gained so much weight in college!

I consider myself to have a fairly good palate and know good food when I taste it. We've made our dining decisions based on a few criteria:
1) DISBoards Dining Review Pictures - if it looks good in your pictures, we want to try it!
2) Reviews all over the web - we're pretty trusting of other people's opinions. If you've said it isn't any good, we probably aren't going there
3) Cost (this one might be just me, not Evinrude) - with the DDP costing a sizeable chunk of change, I'm down to get the best value possible out of each meal. That may or may not mean that I'll be ordering the most expensive things on the menu (assuming I like them) each time. Hey, a guy can try to get a good value, can't he?

Looking forward to keeping you all in the loop on this culinary tour de' Disney. Stay tuned!

So here's our plan:

June 7 (Arrival Day) Evinrude gets in at 6:15 AM and Langbein arrives at 11:00 AM. Evinrude's probably gonna have to eat SOMETHING for breakfast, but not sure where yet. Oh, btw, we're staying at AKL.

Park: Animal Kingdom
Lunch: Yak & Yeti (page 9, #127)
Dinner: Jiko (page 11, #161)

June 8
Park: Epcot
Breakfast: Probably use some snack credits at Mara.
Lunch: Tutto Italia (page 12, #172)
Dinner: Le Cellier

June 9
Park: Disney Hollywood Studios
Breakfast: Boma
Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Dinner: Brown Derby

June 10
Park: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Not sure, maybe snack credits somewhere
Lunch: Plaza Restaurant
Dinner: Hoop-De-Doo Revue

June 11
Backstage Magic Tour (We're SUPER excited about this!), and the rest of the day at Epcot
Lunch: Whispering Canyon Cafe (included on the tour)
Dinner: Teppan Edo

June 12
Park: Probably more Animal Kingdom; possibly golfing at Fantasia Gardens
Breakfast: Spoodles
Lunch: Beaches and Cream
Dinner: Flying Fish

June 13
Park: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Crystal Palace
Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe
Dinner: Tony's

June 14
Park: Who knows?
Breakfast: Kona Cafe
Lunch: Chefs de France
Dinner: Narcoosee's

June 15
We'll be around for Breakfast and Lunch, but no plans yet

So whatta ya think? We are PSYCHED!!!

Hello one and all,

Just to make the connection: this is the one and only Langbein. Occasionally we may be posting from my username on here (with the same specifications as mentioned above: me in red and Evinrude in standard). Just an FYI.

Back to your normally scheduled Disney Dining Report reading...

Hi! Your line-up sounds great. Have a wonderful trip!

Mostly I lurk, but I had to pop in to say you've totally stumped me with Langbein. Evinrude is a classic -- how do you not love the hardest-working dragonfly in animation? But yeah, no clue on the other one. It sounds Scandinavian. Any clues?

You guys are great! I cannot wait to hear all about it and find more wonderful things to eat!! We will be there the week before you guys so I will try and leave some food behind :lmao:

Have a great trip and take lots of pictures

Hey Guys,
Sounds like a great trip coming up. We'll be there the same time as you (june 5-14) and trying out the Deluxe Dining Plan for the first time. We'll be trying out several of the places you have listed. Can't wait to hear your comments after the trip. Have a wonderful time!

Hey guys! We'll also be there the same time as you - June 6-13 at Yacht Club and June 13-20 at CSR! We're on the deluxe plan the first week, and the regular plan the second. I don't want to think it'll be too much food - and I LOVE desserts! I will highly recommend the creme brulee at LeCellier!

We're eating at many of the same places as yall are - Yak & Yeti (it is SO GOOD!), LeCellier, Sci Fi, Brown Derby, Plaza, Whispering Canyon, Kona Cafe, Chefs de France, Narcoose's, and Beaches & Cream (we're eating here several times since its my DD's favorite!!)!! We've eaten at Jiko before - it is great! We've also eaten at Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast and lunch - nice atmosphere and good food! We've done the Hoop De Doo several times and we've always enjoyed it!!!

Can't wait to read your reviews when yall get back - I'll be anxious to see if yall think it was "too much food" after all!!! Have a GREAT trip!!!

Totally subscribing! You guys seem like my type of men..haha! I'm with you about all the other trip reports being families, honeymooners, etc. I don't mind them but it's nice to see you guys over here. Definitely want to hear your reviews from another fellow foodie!

We are going to have overlapping trips! My husband and I are going to be in AKL June 7-12th. If we have any left over dessert, or snack credit we will know where to send it... we are wimps! Just kidding! :)

Your Cavalier is PRECIOUS!!! I have a Blenheim boy. :)

We are going to several of the same restaurants I wonder if our experiences will be different or the same...

What time are you eating at Jiko? I think we are eating there the same day....

Hi! Your line-up sounds great. Have a wonderful trip!

Mostly I lurk, but I had to pop in to say you've totally stumped me with Langbein. Evinrude is a classic -- how do you not love the hardest-working dragonfly in animation? But yeah, no clue on the other one. It sounds Scandinavian. Any clues?

Thanks for your well wishes! I'm so glad that you remember Evinrude. I just love that guy! I was definitely of the Pete's Dragon - Rescuers - Fox and the Hound generation of Disney films. Just love 'em.

You guys are great! I cannot wait to hear all about it and find more wonderful things to eat!! We will be there the week before you guys so I will try and leave some food behind :lmao:

Have a great trip and take lots of pictures

Yeah...eat well, but leave a few crumbs behind for us. :rotfl:

Oh, this is going to be fun. I can't wait! :)

Neither can we!

Hey Guys,
Sounds like a great trip coming up. We'll be there the same time as you (june 5-14) and trying out the Deluxe Dining Plan for the first time. We'll be trying out several of the places you have listed. Can't wait to hear your comments after the trip. Have a wonderful time!

Cool! More Deluxe Dining Plan virgins! Where are you staying? Are we gonna be at any of the same restaurants at the same time??? Have a great trip.

Totally looking forward to it.:goodvibes

Hey Guys! Sounds great. Can't wait to hear about your food adventures. :yay:

Can't wait to read your reviews.

another Google master, I see!

I'm in men! Sounds like a good one...

Awww y'all....thanks for signing on!

Hey guys! We'll also be there the same time as you - June 6-13 at Yacht Club and June 13-20 at CSR! We're on the deluxe plan the first week, and the regular plan the second. I don't want to think it'll be too much food - and I LOVE desserts! I will highly recommend the creme brulee at LeCellier!

We're eating at many of the same places as yall are - Yak & Yeti (it is SO GOOD!), LeCellier, Sci Fi, Brown Derby, Plaza, Whispering Canyon, Kona Cafe, Chefs de France, Narcoose's, and Beaches & Cream (we're eating here several times since its my DD's favorite!!)!! We've eaten at Jiko before - it is great! We've also eaten at Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast and lunch - nice atmosphere and good food! We've done the Hoop De Doo several times and we've always enjoyed it!!!

Can't wait to read your reviews when yall get back - I'll be anxious to see if yall think it was "too much food" after all!!! Have a GREAT trip!!!

Cool...maybe we'll see you 'round the world! You gonna be at any of the same restaurants at the same time? Thanks for the creme brulee recommendation!

Can't wait - is it June yet :)

Oh honey, I wish!

Sweet Bridget....can't wait to share!

We are going to have overlapping trips! My husband and I are going to be in AKL June 7-12th. If we have any left over dessert, or snack credit we will know where to send it... we are wimps! Just kidding! :)

Your Cavalier is PRECIOUS!!! I have a Blenheim boy. :)

We are going to several of the same restaurants I wonder if our experiences will be different or the same...

What time are you eating at Jiko? I think we are eating there the same day....

Wow...how cool that we'll be there at the same time. Maybe we'll be neighbors! So fun to hear that you're a Cavalier lover too. Aren't they the best?!?! I bet your Blenheim is super cute too. My pooch is just the happiest, cutest, so full of love, and so playful. Such a great breed.

Hey we're gonna be at Jiko at 8:35 PM. Will we see you there? Sure hope so!:yay:

Totally subscribing! You guys seem like my type of men..haha! I'm with you about all the other trip reports being families, honeymooners, etc. I don't mind them but it's nice to see you guys over here. Definitely want to hear your reviews from another fellow foodie!

DisneyGirlInNJ - you're totally my kind of girl! Primarily because you're from NJ. So am I! What part? I'm in the northeast - near Short Hills, Livingston, etc. Northern California definitely isn't the same, but it's a decent substitute.

Goofy? in Norwegian or Swedish?

DING DING DING! We have a winner! MuppetMom - I'm proud. I picked the name because I was always called Goofy by my mom growing up, but didn't want to be so easy. And Langbein is remarkably similar to my last name (well, sort of). So it just fit. I'm not Norwegian, Swedish, or anything like that.

Thanks for the posts - keep checking back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter