Delta Dropped Fares - BOS - MCO

Hibernians

Donald Duck Changed My Life
Here's a shock - Delta dropped fares from Boston to Orlando. This is for travel in June 2007. Today I was able to book $198 roundtrip (before taxes). I had been watching the June fares and if memory serves me correctly, the previous fare for the same route was closer to 300 round-trip (it might have been in the high 200's), so its really a big shock to see it drop almost 100, especially when AA announced fare increases the other day.

I was planning to wait for SWA to announce their June fares but I decided to go with Delta and do the Magical Express in one easy shot. Now I have one less thing to worry about :)

Happy Trails -

Joe

Here's a shock - Delta dropped fares from Boston to Orlando. This is for travel in June 2007.

Why is a fare drop so shocking? A $300 RT fare from BOS-MCO is outrageous. However, airlines often have high fares when they first release their schedules, which is why it usually isn't too smart to buy a ticket for June 2007 travel in December 2006, unless you find a great bargain. Plus, there is an excellent chance that flight times will change or the flight will be canceled when you buy so far out.

You need to be familiar with typical fares for the markets in which you have an interest so you know when you're getting a bargain and when not to buy. Try using this site:

http://www.farecast.com/

I found the same thing for my dates. It comes to $217 with the taxes. I haven't bought yet but I'm close to doing it. I wish Jet Blue was better priced. Its still coming up as $317 on kayak.com. I don't want to fly delta due to our problems last year and I'm afraid of delta's bankruptcy situation. But, I don't think I'll have the patience to wait for SWA.

Why is a fare drop so shocking? A $300 RT fare from BOS-MCO is outrageous. However, airlines often have high fares when they first release their schedules, which is why it usually isn't too smart to buy a ticket for June 2007 travel in December 2006, unless you find a great bargain. Plus, there is an excellent chance that flight times will change or the flight will be canceled when you buy so far out.

You need to be familiar with typical fares for the markets in which you have an interest so you know when you're getting a bargain and when not to buy. Try using this site:

http://www.farecast.com/

Thanks for the friendly advice. Guess what: 198 RT BOS - MCO is a very good fare and I would rather book that today instead of going on a wild goose chase hoping fares drop lower. I now have the peace of mind of booking the 6 of us at a very good rate and have the convenience of Magical Express to boot.
Having flown Delta many times, I am well aware of their rates and their tendency to change flight times - I have had experience with flight times changing on Delta and typically, the change of flight time is minimal - 30 - 45 minutes either way, which is inconsequential to me. The fact that they just dropped their rates so much is indeed surprising and with a family of 6, I am savings upwards of 500 -600 by booking today (compared to last week). I would be surprised to see any fares out of Boston to be much lower than this - and considering the fact that I need to book fare for 6 people, I prefer to to book sooner rather than later.
Call me crazy, but I see very little upside to waiting any longer to book my flights. Maybe I'll get a better deal for the 6 of us in MHT, maybe I won't. I know with SWA I won't have the benefit of the full Magical Express service anyways, which, with 4 kids, I value greatly.

Joe

I'm in the camp of booking when you find a flight you like. Waiting to save a few bucks can drive you crazy, especially if you think there is a chance of the flight getting full.

Jet Blue just released fares for August and I will be booking that trip today - no waiting around for me! :) I really miss Delta's SONG flights.. :(

Jill

Just wanted to add...I am not sure where you are from Lostincyberspace, but i don't think r/t from Boston to MCO for $300. is all that outrageous..

Just wanted to add...I am not sure where you are from Lostincyberspace, but i don't think r/t from Boston to MCO for $300. is all that outrageous..

Until recently, Logan was my home airport and I would never pay $300 for a RT ticket from there to Orlando. However, you are certainly free to pay as much as you please.

Guess what: 198 RT BOS - MCO is a very good fare

Did I indicate that it was not a decent fare?

I booked 10 months in advance with Delta and it was $172 (includes all taxes) each from Bos-MCO. I had to cancel and rebook TWICE and although I had to pay the $50 change fee twice, the fare different changing it from May 07 to Feb 07 was approximately $30. I rebooked Nov 14.

Well we booked too. The flight times are right, and the price is right. Last year Jet Blue and SWA never dropped this low so its seems silly to wait for them. We have five flying so we are also fairly price sensitive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!