Delay Pregnancy?

kirinafa

Earning My Ears
My husband and i will be visiting Disney World for the first time (My first visit to a disney park ever!)

I am a 27 year old and i feel like my biological clock is ticking lol. We have our reservations for 9 days parkhopper staying onsite at the first week of October. Now, should i just go ahead and start trying, or wait afew months, or just not try at all until after the trip?

*I dont like big rides, as i get motion sickness pretty bad but hubby really wants me to go on everything
*We dont have any children and i have no idea what pregnancy is really like
*Its a 8 hour flight, we are from Oregon.. not sure what the rules are on how far along you can be
*We have already been trying for 3 months and no luck yet, so i'm worried about not trying for 6 months... if that makes sense

Given those facts, what would you do? Have you been to Disney World pregnant and was it still enjoyable? How far along were you?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My husband and i will be visiting Disney World for the first time (My first visit to a disney park ever!)

I am a 27 year old and i feel like my biological clock is ticking lol. We have our reservations for 9 days parkhopper staying onsite at the first week of October. Now, should i just go ahead and start trying, or wait afew months, or just not try at all until after the trip?

*I dont like big rides, as i get motion sickness pretty bad but hubby really wants me to go on everything
*Its a 8 hour flight, we are from Oregon.. not sure what the rules are on how far along you can be

Given those facts, what would you do?

Thanks!

If it were me I would just start trying when you got back. Lol.

I did Disney 7 months prego. Mostly it was fine. I just didn't go on the super fun rides.

And I was in a wheel chair by the end of the week. With ankles so swollen they looked like clubs.

So there's that.

If you get motion sick, I would not recommend going on the big rides even if Hubby wants you to. My Hubby gets motion sick and that will knock him out for hours and then he would not be able to enjoy his day at all. Much better to let your Hubby go solo on those and feel well to enjoy the things that aren't going to bother you. Or at least wait until late in the day to try them. And if you were pregnant, the rides likely to give you issues will have a lot of overlap with the ones you can't ride while pregnant.
No one knows if they're going to have morning sickness or how bad it's going to be until you have it so, yeah, not much you can do to plan around that.
As others have said, it's your decision. I know it's not an easy one - planning around maybe being pregnant is annoying.
Enjoy your trip and good luck getting pregnant.

We had the same question with child #2, did we want to wait until after our trip or not? We ended up not waiting and now my wife will be 5 months pregnant while at Disney. We're still excited about the trip, but as one of the posters above said, she can't do the really fun rides. It's not our first time to WDW or Disney in general as we're AP holders for Disneyland. However, also as someone else mentioned it is a personal question that you'd had to answer for yourself.

As someone who went through years of infertility and multiple cycles of IVF, my advice is that you should not plan your life around a potential pregnancy. That will just drive you crazy.

So, you plan on Disney in October, and you keep trying to get pregnant. If you get pregnant between now and then, great! You go to Disney pregnant, which lots of people do (I did it with my second), and you have a great time. Or, you cancel the trip because you don't feel up to it or because you're having complications (we cancelled our planned Hawaii "babymoon" when I was 6 months pregnant with my first due to complications). If that happens, bummer. BUT, that just means that you'll get to experience Disney for the first time later on, with your little one in tow, which I am willing to bet will make it even more special for you. Disney is one of the very best places you can go with a baby or young child!

So, my advice is not to delay trying, because a 7 month delay is something that you are really likely to regret if you end up having serious infertility issues (which i am not saying you will, but I never thought I would either), whereas you are extremely unlikely to regret a cancelled or altered vacation resulting from a much wanted pregnancy. Good luck to you!

Is Zika an issue in Florida still/right now? I haven't worried about it, but then again, I am done with my baby years. That might be something to ask your doctor about.

I'm probably not the best person to ask. We ended up pregnant very quickly. I didn't know it at the time, because it was only a matter of days, but I was pregnant when we did our second autoracing school, which is usually a no-no. I definitely didn't feel right. I don't normally get motion sickness, but that big van going really fast, without seat belts, around the tight track was making me downright green. Plus, I felt more tired than normal.

I'd be more worried about Zika than anything else. You definitely don't want to be pregnant and contract it, but then you should also wait 6 months AFTER your trip to get pregnant, just in case you or your husband were exposed and didn't know it.

Have you been to Disney Land? Here's a thought. Keep your October WDW trip booked but also book a Disneyland trip for the same time period. If you get pregnant, switch to Disneyland (no Zika here). If not, go to WDW as planned.

As for the plane trip, domestic airlines will cut you off after 36 weeks. However, flying for 8 hours while pregnant carries risks as well, namely blood clots and potential dehydration that can trigger preterm labor, so a trip that long would be something you would need to clear with your OB. Assuming your pregnancy is going well, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

As for being pregnant at WDW, I did it once at the end of Sept at about 15 weeks along. I was really tired most of the time, didn't sleep well in the hotel and was SO hot and uncomfortable. October in Florida can be either really mild or brutally hot and humid. It's a toss up. So staying comfortable and getting enough rest will be key. It can be fun but I think I'd feel pretty disappointed if that was my first trip ever and I couldn't ride much. You will have YEARS of that once you have a kid and have to wait until they are tall enough for all the thrill rides.

And October is Food and Wine festival. How will you feel having to skip all the drinks and potentially have food aversions that make the food items unappealing. It happens. During my pregnancies I could NOT eat poultry of any kind. The smell of it made me SO nauseous. Chicken is a staple food for me. And I didn't eat it for 9 months.

One thing you can do now is start temping to check your cycles. That way you can work out when you are ovulating, so that you can be sure that there are no obvious issues with your cycle and when you do decide to start trying, you will know your fertile window. I did this because my cycles are irregular, so I needed to know when to try, and how to read my body. And we actually managed to conceive the first month of trying, because we knew exactly when to try (and luck too of course). An October conception is a June/July baby, which was perfect for us! (I used a website called fertility friend, and still do to track my cycle to this day, even though we don't want anymore kids. The free version was sufficient for my needs).

I'd be more worried about Zika than anything else. You definitely don't want to be pregnant and contract it, but then you should also wait 6 months AFTER your trip to get pregnant, just in case you or your husband were exposed and didn't know it.

Have you been to Disney Land? Here's a thought. Keep your October WDW trip booked but also book a Disneyland trip for the same time period. If you get pregnant, switch to Disneyland (no Zika here). If not, go to WDW as planned.

As for the plane trip, domestic airlines will cut you off after 36 weeks. However, flying for 8 hours while pregnant carries risks as well, namely blood clots and potential dehydration that can trigger preterm labor, so a trip that long would be something you would need to clear with your OB. Assuming your pregnancy is going well, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

As for being pregnant at WDW, I did it once at the end of Sept at about 15 weeks along. I was really tired most of the time, didn't sleep well in the hotel and was SO hot and uncomfortable. October in Florida can be either really mild or brutally hot and humid. It's a toss up. So staying comfortable and getting enough rest will be key. It can be fun but I think I'd feel pretty disappointed if that was my first trip ever and I couldn't ride much. You will have YEARS of that once you have a kid and have to wait until they are tall enough for all the thrill rides.

And October is Food and Wine festival. How will you feel having to skip all the drinks and potentially have food aversions that make the food items unappealing. It happens. During my pregnancies I could NOT eat poultry of any kind. The smell of it made me SO nauseous. Chicken is a staple food for me. And I didn't eat it for 9 months.

The closest Zika ever came to Orlando was Miami and I believe it is not longer in Miami. We don't know 100% yet but very slim chance it spreads this summer.

The closest Zika ever came to Orlando was Miami and I believe it is not longer in Miami. We don't know 100% yet but very slim chance it spreads this summer.

That's good. I wasn't sure about the status of that. I'm done having kids so I haven't followed it too closely.

Start trying to get pregnant now. If you are pregnant when it's time for your trip to Disney World, and for some reason you can't go to Disney World, then so be it. Cancel Disney and get refund (assuming you purchase travel insurance.). The pregnancy would take priority, for me personally. These are just my thoughts. Do what is best for you.

It could take months or even years (if you end up having fertility issues) to get pregnant so I would never recommend trying to manipulate the timing around something like a vacation because you just truly never know and that is the type of thing you could end up regretting.

If you do get pregnant between now and your trip you can still have a great time. You said you don't like thrill rides so you won't be missing out on much there.

Obviously this is a very personal decision and ultimately you'll know what best to do. I'm approaching this question as a woman who suffered infertility for many years and went through multiple rounds of IVF to have a baby, so that is definitely influencing my opinion.

Don't put off something as huge as starting a family over something as small as a vacation. Creating my family took way longer than I thought it would due to infertility. Fourteen months to conceive our first and nearly six years before our twins arrived. Two failed ivfs, four miscarriages. I'm grateful I didn't wait to start trying. I needed time.

*We have already been trying for 3 months and no luck yet, so i'm worried about not trying for 6 months... if that makes sense

Given those facts, what would you do?

Thanks!

As someone who held off trying for a trip to the Dominican Republic last spring (where the Zika threat was real though we only saw about 1 mosquito while there!) and is still trying a year later... go for it. It can certainly take a long time to conceive so don't put your life on hold - it will just be more disappointing if it doesn't happen (again, personal experience).

I've been putting our next Disney trip on hold for this reason but finally just booked for the last week of August. If I do end up pregnant, I would still be able to fly at that point and can just take it easy (I have this hope of taking some awesome baby announcement / gender reveal photos while there) If not, we overlap with the beginning of Food & Wine so I can totally make good use of that and will be able to go on all my favorite rides.

Good luck TTC! It sucks but hopefully it will work eventually! I recommend the Glow app for tracking fertility if you need one

I'm going to sound like I'm saying yes and no.

I'm with the ppl saying to just keep trying bc you never know how long it may take.

On the other hand, the first 4 months of both of my pregnancies I felt so sick. I could barely suffer through sitting at work all day, nevermind walk all over WDW. Not everyone gets sick like that (or has significant food aversions and constantly feels exhausted) and I certainly didn't expect it, but it is not how I'd want to spend a WDW vacation.

In the end, the decision is yours obviously.

Last edited:
How big of an event is the trip? Is this something you have been saving for and dreaming about for a long time? How will you feel if you have to cancel?

Only you can decide if you want to schedule life around a theme park or schedule a theme park around your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!