Deciding between BLT and AKV for resale purchase

JessLCH

DIS Veteran
I have narrowed down to interest in only these two properties for various reasons.

If you were choosing to purchase, which, between these two would you buy?

Our kids are 11 and 8 and we often travel to Disney with extended family.

We will almost always travel during a peak time (New year, Thanksgiving, Feb. school vacation).

Thanks!

we love Kidani and bought AKV but we have since discovered we love BLT as much for completely different reasons, so if we were buying our points now i would do half and half BLT AKV.

We chose BLT because our kids are younger ds(2) dd(6). For us, being able to walk to MK and being on the monorail, were top priorities. Your kids are older, and in ten years, they will be out of the house. I would definitely consider were you want to be, once they've moved on. I could see myself staying at either one of these. One thing to consider is that AK will have higher mf's because they have live animals to care for, but of course that's a selling point as well. Good luck with your decision

If you want AKV value or CL you will need to have AKV points. Everytime I have looked at traveling, AKLK savanna view has been available. I do not own there and I have never seen AKVJ available but that may be just me.

BLT same thing if you want standard view will need to own. I can speak from experience this year. The week between Christmas and NYE sold out at 11 months for all views. I could not get a TP view for NYE after the 29th of January as people were booking 11 mo. +7. I did get a 2 bedroom LV at the 11 month mark.

Own where you will stay the most for the next 30 years.

Someone who owns at AKV could give you a better look at what they were like for peak times, but BLT books up at 11 months.

We just added on at AKV so I'd say AKV. While I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to stay at BLT (location location location), it is high in point cost to book a 2BR where you can get the lower point cost values at AKV. And you can buy more points at AKV since it's cheaper to buy there compared to buying BLT.

So, do you want more points for your money and the ability to book lower point values and save points (so more nights at WDW per year...or the ability to book concierge and do the sunset/twilight safari)...or do you want a lovely view of the castle and a short walk to MK or monorail ride to Epcot and MK?

Thanks all. Our family would be happy at either. Which property would be more sought after on the rental market on the occasional year we might skip a trip and rent out our points?

Have you stayed at either? They are two very different feeling resorts. When we purchased (direct) in 2008, we could have had either. We were able to tour the models at the SSR sales showroom, and AKV appealed to us more. It was also nice that is was about $8/pt less and the points for a weeklong stay in Magic season was less. We have not regretted our purchase. In fact, we have added on more points four times (all resale) and have doubled our ownership at AKV. We love the feel of the resort and we do not mind the dues.

We have stayed at BLT twice over the past two years and have another 4 day stay this summer. While we like the proximity to MK, there is not much else we like about the place. The decor is fine, although a little bland for us. The pool is just okay. Getting to the other parks is about at painful as bussing from any of the other resorts; and that includes Epcot (which in our experience is about a 40-45 minute commitment by monorail). We don't spend much time dining around the monorail resorts, so that proximity is not important to us.

AKV is definitely our favorite. We have done concierge once (and loved it) and we are doing two nights in a value studio this summer before moving over to our BLT 2BR. Then it's back to Kidani for another 4 nights in a savanna view 2BR. The savanna view rooms are awesome!

AKV has good availability for savanna and standard view rooms most of the year. BLT is sometimes harder to get into, particularly during Christmas. For renting, you might do better with BLT, since everyone is starstruck about a monorail resort.

With the current resale prices, and the larger point cost of a BLT stay, I think I would still be inclined to purchase AKV. But, if you have to have a theme park view on Christmas eve every other year, then you absolutely have to own at BLT.

Depending on how many points you are thinking about, the suggestion of buying points at both may be a good one. I don't think I would advocate that if you are looking at less than 200 points. But then with that you will have two closing costs, which drives up the overall costs a little. Plus the smaller contracts come at a higher price per point.

It really is a very personal choice. Good luck with your decision!

Don't know the rental market likelihood although I might guess BLT may have somewhat more demand than AKV.

As to the resorts, if you want to be able to get BLT standard view, you better own at BLT because it is seldom available at 7 months out. The same applies to owning at AKV if you want to AKV club level or value rooms.

If you are evaluating from what is easier to get at 7 months out and thus you do not need to own there, the answer is AKV savanna and standard view which is open almost year round at 7 months but the one risky time of year will be Thanskgiving and into first half of Dec. For BLT you will have that risk at the same time and also around New Years and thus if you want BLT those times of year you are better off owning there. Presidents' week is actually not a a very high DVC demand time and you can usually get BLT lake and theme park view and AKV standard and savanna at 7 months at that time.

BLT has a higher price in the resale market and through Disney but AKV has the higher annual dues and that is likely to continue.

Don't know the rental market likelihood although I might guess BLT may have somewhat more demand than AKV.

As to the resorts, if you want to be able to get BLT standard view, you better own at BLT because it is seldom available at 7 months out. The same applies to owning at AKV if you want to AKV club level or value rooms.

If you are evaluating from what is easier to get at 7 months out and thus you do not need to own there, the answer is AKV savanna and standard view which is open almost year round at 7 months but the one risky time of year will be Thanskgiving and into first half of Dec. For BLT you will have that risk at the same time and also around New Years and thus if you want BLT those times of year you are better off owning there. Presidents' week is actually not a a very high DVC demand time and you can usually get BLT lake and theme park view and AKV standard and savanna at 7 months at that time.

BLT has a higher price in the resale market and through Disney but AKV has the higher annual dues and that is likely to continue.

Thanks, this was helpful.

So, would you say if we own at BLT but want to stay at AKV we have a better shot at the 7 mark than owning at AKV and trying to stay at BLT at 7 month mark? Like I said, most likely will be travelling peak weeks. Trying to figure out which scenario gives us more options. I do already have a sense of the cost differences.

We are in the process of adding on at AKV now. Loved Jambo and looking forward to staying at Kidani. I personally have no interest in BLT. The location is great but I would always be waiting for Marcia and Gregg to come around the corner.

You could buy half your points at AKV and the other half at BLT. By Banking and Borrowing you would have priority at both.

There decision solved.

I have not stayed at BLT but have stayed at the Contemporary Concierge Level. The monorail access was nice but I did not love the hotel. Personally, I would rather have my points go further at AKL which I have not stayed at yet. I have heard from other DVC members that they prefer AKL over BLT. It seems like if you want the value rooms, go for AKL. If not, then go for BLT because AKL is one of the bigger resorts along with SSR that have better availability than others. Someone mentioned MF- I heard only 0.30/pp of MF goes to the animals. If you look at the resale sites, the BLT resales don't seem to sell as fast and their is much more availability. Not sure why. AKL seems to sell faster- not sure if it is the pricing or preference?? You can also look at detailed pics of both resorts at www.allears.net

We own at AKV, and OKW, and the kids were young when we bought.:scared:They are now on their own.:worship: They travel with us in June and Oct. with their children.:crazy2: We have stayed at other places, but always seem to like AKV the most.:thumbsup2 It takes less points then BLT so we now can get a 2br for the kids and their children and still get a room for us, down the hall, or different floor.:rotfl: BLT was nice and close to MK but we park hop alot. AKV does book up at 11 months out, for the value and club level. Good luck in what ever you decide.pixiedust:

We own at AKV, and OKW, and the kids were young when we bought.:scared:They are now on their own.:worship: They travel with us in June and Oct. with their children.:crazy2: We have stayed at other places, but always seem to like AKV the most.:thumbsup2 It takes less points then BLT so we now can get a 2br for the kids and their children and still get a room for us, down the hall, or different floor.:rotfl: BLT was nice and close to MK but we park hop alot. AKV does book up at 11 months out, for the value and club level. Good luck in what ever you decide.pixiedust:

What is club level @ AKL? Is it the same as concierge level?

In my experience it is harder to get BLT at 7 months than AKV.

Thanks, this was helpful.

So, would you say if we own at BLT but want to stay at AKV we have a better shot at the 7 mark than owning at AKV and trying to stay at BLT at 7 month mark? Like I said, most likely will be travelling peak weeks. Trying to figure out which scenario gives us more options. I do already have a sense of the cost differences.

As much as I love AKV I know MOST of the time I will be able to get a room at 7 months and not have to pay higher MF. BLT for me is all about location, location, location! We travel during school breaks and always rent a car and what we found is all parks and DTD are easily accessed with a car EXCEPT MK. We love walking to the MK, monorail to Epcot and drive to HS and AK. I prefer the rooms at AKV but would not EVER trade the location of BLT. Having stayed 6 ni. in the GV at BLT over NYE was a dream come true - all 3 DD's had a friend/BF's and it was so easy! Good luck in your decision!

We are doing our third AKV/BLT split stay this year. Currently, we own at BLT and are thinking of adding more points at AKV. Our split stay this year will be 5 nights AKV / 6 nights BLT. The ammenities and experiences are so different. We love our balconies. I love morning coffee looking at the animals and relaxing evenings watching fireworks without fighting crowds. I'm glad I don't have to pick just one!

AKV is the most unique place we have ever stayed. It is very relaxing and beautiful.

BLT is fun and convenient. My DD loves Mickey's BBQ, which is just a boat ride away from CR. My DS could spend all day on the monorail. I like not having to worry about how we will get to our breakfast at Ohana on time.

We've owned at BLT since it first opened and have just passed ROFR on an AKL contract. We love BLT for the location and the convenience of being able to walk to MK or hop on a monorail to Epcot. Owning there means we've always been able to get a 1 bed standard view (even this past Holiday season when we were there for 10 nights) and we only ever use our BLT points to stay there. We also own at OKW and use those points to stay at other resorts.

The reason we bought an AKL add on is that we also spent some time there this past Christmas and loved the resort (I'd rented points from a friend to book a standard view before the 7 month window) We are hoping to go back for Christmas 2014 and I'd have to rent points again so it made more sense to buy there. Hopefully we'll be able to get club level booking at 11 months but if not I'll still be happy with what ever we get.

I don't know how many points you're looking to buy but I'd probably pick one resort and buy them all there and if it were me my first choice would be BLT. The points are more expensive but I think they'd hold their value.

I have narrowed down to interest in only these two properties for various reasons.

If you were choosing to purchase, which, between these two would you buy?

Our kids are 11 and 8 and we often travel to Disney with extended family.

We will almost always travel during a peak time (New year, Thanksgiving, Feb. school vacation).

Thanks!

First - those resorts are SOOOOO different in character!!

If you're travelling during those peak periods, you definitely need that 11 month booking window - so choose the Home Resort that you really want to stay in ...

From a practical standpoint, AKV will cost less up front in $$ (and maybe for MF over the years) and you need less points for each trip - so overall less cost ...

Personally - we LOVE AKV and it was the only Home Resort for us ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter