Debit card - can I get a rental car?

billwendy

DIS Veteran
Hi - I have a debit card (issued from my bank with the visa stamp on it) that I'd like to use to rent from Dollar or Thrifty. We usually rent from National (executive emeralds club) with no problems as they only require proof of return with a return airline ticket. Im going to LAX in November, and the prices for dollar and thrifty are like 1/3 of what National is charging!~!!!!! So I was wondering if anyone had experience with using their debit card with either of these companies?

Also, can you bargain with National at all? Seriously, their fee for a compact is over $400 when dollar is $179???? Whats up with that????

Thanks so much for your help!!

Wendy

When you book a rental car that company will make sure that there is enough creidt in case there are damages on car. They will charge you the price of the car pluss they will hold a few hundred extra. Please use a credit card if for some reason you do not have one get a pre paid creidt card. It will protect you and your bank account from unauthorized charges. It is very difficult to get money back from your bank it can take months. Credit card companys are much better about issuing refunds. My credit card info has been stolen several times, I now have a card that I use just for travel. I have not used that card for months and I used it over the 4th to book a rental car from Hurtz. Within Two days they made over 15,000 in charges. Please be carefull when using your debit card!

The policies vary by agency, but if allowed, be advised that you will have several hundred dollars held from your account until after you return the car. This is money that you will have no access to until then.

Dollar Debit card policy:

If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

Thrifty are the same company and have the same policy. The main point is the credit screening. I would keep the Dollar/Thrifty reservation unless your credit is really bad. Keep checking National rates as they will come down significantly between now and November unless you are renting over Thanksgiving. You might also keep an eye on Alamo rates as they are owned by the same company that owns National, and have the same debit card policy. With Alamo you can use the Kiosk to skip the counter and pick your vehicle.

Dollar Debit card policy:

If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. The credit inquiry is posted on the customer's credit report and may have an effect on the customer's credit evaluation. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

Thrifty are the same company and have the same policy. The main point is the credit screening. I would keep the Dollar/Thrifty reservation unless your credit is really bad. Keep checking National rates as they will come down significantly between now and November unless you are renting over Thanksgiving. You might also keep an eye on Alamo rates as they are owned by the same company that owns National, and have the same debit card policy. With Alamo you can use the Kiosk to skip the counter and pick your vehicle.

All good info - thank you!!!

Im happy to hear that National prices will come down. We are going to be there the week before Thanksgiving which everyone says is a slow time - so hopefully it will all work out. We like national because we are executive emeralds club and its just so easy to grab a car off the isle and GO!!! lol:woohoo:

I work at a financial institution. Do not use your debit card if you have a credit card. If you have to use your debit card, and unmentioned charges go through, contact your finanacial institution as quickly as possible.

I work at a financial institution. Do not use your debit card if you have a credit card. If you have to use your debit card, and unmentioned charges go through, contact your finanacial institution as quickly as possible.

We dont have any credit cards due to identity theft several years ago. Is there a credit card you would recommend? I dont want to get into a lot of fees and stuff, it would be just for situations like this.....

We just rented from Dollar for our last trip and used a major credit card and they charged the amount of the rental and a hold of $250 on the card my credit card company actual called us because they thought it was a bogus charge. I have never had that before but this was the first time we ever rented with Dollar and the last. Next time we will use National, Avis, or Hertz.

Have you checked Alamo prices? You can use your debit card as long as you bring proof of an outgoing flight.

Debit Cards: Debit/check cards are considered to be any non-credit card bearing the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo. Any other non-credit card without the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo is not accepted. Please review the following guidelines:

§ When renting in the U.S., with proof of a round trip travel ticket (airline, cruise ship or train) at time of rental.

§ For pick-ups in the United States, without proof of roundtrip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted when returning the vehicle. A credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of pick-up.

§ In Canada & Puerto Rico, a credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of pickup. Debit/check cards are only accepted for payment at time of return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter