DEBATE: USA vs France: What affect will it have on DLP ?

KNWVIKING

DIS Veteran
There is obviously a lot of resentment towards France in this country right now and I'm certain the feeling is mutual in France. The rest of Europe seems to have taken sides also. Do our "friends" boycott DLP in an attempt to deny France their tourist dollars? Do our "foes" boycott DLP because it is an All-American icon ? If we Americans boycott DLP, who are we hurting more ? Us or them ?

If you boycott DLP you will be hurting us worse... since Disney is an American company, it will only make their revenue decrease, causing a strain on the rest of the company, thereby causing more cutbacks.

Now, we really don't want THAT...do we???

When I was at EPCOT last week, the restaurant did not look busy. I guess people will just resent French us much as they resent us.

Americans make up a very small percentage of DLP visitors, and would not have a major impact on Euro Disney's bottom line. But the whole idea of boycotting DLP or anything French is ludicrous from the start if you ask me (and I am not exactly what you would call a supporter of French policies).

Those who decide to boycott DLP will deprive themselves of visiting the best-themed Magic Kingdom-type theme park anywhere. That loss is greater than that to the company in any case.

But the whole idea of boycotting DLP or anything French is ludicrous from the start if you ask me (and I am not exactly what you would call a supporter of French policies).

I quite agree! There are many French products that I would never consider boycotting, even if I was of the mind to boycott French products (which I am not)... one being that wonderful antihistimine, Allegra... I was totally miserable until it came into my life...lol!

That being said, if it makes you feel better, or like you are doing your part to help the country more power to you.

I doubt that the French will even notice, or really care!

Why so ? Boycotting is basically one of the few ways the common man gets to express his displeasure with an issue they feel strongly about.

A Disneyland in Paris? I never knew that!;)

Personally its only the diehard Disney fanatics that would travel there, IMHO Americans stay American, even though Tokyo DisneySea is the best Disney park on earth has there been a mass migration of Americans traveling there? So why bother with DLP? Never interested me to even consider the expense to travel that far to France for a park smaller than Walts original.

DisneySea though I would....:cool:

I will most definetly boycott French Products...I'd never go to Disney in Paris anyway. I have no desire to go to a country who so obviously looks down on Americans..and our president.
The French not only dissagree the American/UK resolution but they went out of there way to stick their fingers in our eyes.
Rejecting it ..even before Iraq. I'll have nothing to do with anything French.
Even the French Hotels in NYC took down their own flags outside the hotel...supposedly to make the patrons feel more comfortable...how about to not loose a buck? They don't mind sticking it to us ...but they still want our money...well, not mine.

Originally posted by eeyore0062
I doubt that the French will even notice, or really care!

I doubt that is true. The French economy is growing at a rate of about 1%, and the U.S. is the biggest importer of French goods. I heard an economist say that if only 10% of the country attempted even a half-hearted effort to boycott French products, it could send their economy into recession. I do believe they would care, and they certainly would notice.

And if you consider the Iraqi contracts they are going to lose after the Saddam issue is resolved, I think they will be outright desperate for some good ol' Yankee dollars.

boycotting DLP makes about as much sense as freedom fries and freedom toast and if you approve of those concepts then we really can't have a conversation.

I thought it would be better to change "french fries" to "chips" on all the menus. That way you could express out outrage with the French and support our British allies at the same time. :)

:bounce: :D :bounce: :D :bounce: :D :bounce:

Originally posted by YoHo
boycotting DLP makes about as much sense as freedom fries and freedom toast and if you approve of those concepts then we really can't have a conversation.

I agree.. perhaps we should send back their statue also... ;-)

if you consider the Iraqi contracts they are going to lose after the Saddam issue is resolved, I think they will be outright desperate for some good ol' Yankee dollars.

That is what I hope will happen:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter