Dear Disney As You Plan Future Rides And Experiences

I agree. It’s one of those things that was cool the first few times b/c it had never been done. But, I don’t want all future new rides to be like that. While I really enjoyed the remy ride, I prefer it have been more like the little mermaid than mostly screens.

As long as folks will pay for those new Lightning Lane passes Disney won't care how lazy or boring the ride is. I'm convinced that if Disney built a ride themed on Love Canal, NY, the virtual que would be full within 15 seconds of opening every day.

I really enjoy this type of ride, until a park gets overwhelmed with them. It amazes me how you can trick the mind into thinking there are falls that aren't there.
Yeah, my entire family are "meh" on coasters. We ride them occasionally but we prefer rides with immersion. Heck, I liked the Mickey and Minny ride at DHS better than 7 dwarfs.

Screens certainly have their place, but are best when mixed in with physical sets and animatronics. The screens can add a layer of depth in backgorunds or create immersive illusions when up close, but they can't be the only thing to rely on. Disney has generally done a good job of this (can't speak for Ratatouille), but I agree I would hate to see the trend move that way.

Yep-- that is one of the reasons while we like Universal, we don't rank it in the Disney ball park. It is fun for a while, but it feels like almost everything at Universal is screen related. It all starts feeling the same by the end of the day.

Yep-- that is one of the reasons while we like Universal, we don't rank it in the Disney ball park. It is fun for a while, but it feels like almost everything at Universal is screen related. It all starts feeling the same by the end of the day.
Especially when all the screen rides throw you around.

You will get what they tell you'll get and you will pay for it! :)

I don't mind a few but I think we can mix it up a little more now. Tron and Guardians seem like a good correction.

I think Disney does a better job of 'disguising' their screens than Universal does. Almost everything they have/do these days uses projections and screens, whether it's Ratatouille or Rise. I am starting to believe that whatever your first 'trackless' ride is will be your forever-favourite and the rest will feel 'meh', because after years of people obsessing over ROTR and MMRR, people are lukewarm about Rat. I rode Rat in Paris and really enjoyed it but was ambivalent about ROTR and not a fan of MMRR. I'm curious what people's reaction would be to Mystic Manor in Florida: if people would adore it the way international park-goers have been (prior to ROTR/MMRR), or if they would find it too tame and "similar".

It's definitely not unusual for a bunch of rides in a row to feel/be similar in their mechanisms, though. You can practically guess which rides at Disney were developed in a similar time period. First it was zig-zagging tracks through dark rooms with black-light-painted story elements. Then it was slow-moving, continuous-loading rides through animatronic show scenes with catchy music. Then it was coasters. Then it was a lot of simulators. Now it's screens/projections as you ride trackless vehicles through physical sets. It's the latest big technology jump, and it makes sense that they would want to use as much of that development as possible to get various versions out of it. As long as they continue to 'feel' different enough through not only the theming but the ways they use the technology, I don't mind too much.

That said, I do like a mix of things and am looking forward to the next few projects because they're different. With Tron (which technically *has* screens, but more in the same way that Space Mountain's Star Wars overlay does) and Guardians (which to me sounds similar to the mechanisms of Gringotts TBH), I hope they avoid the Universal trap of two types of rides: fling your car towards 3D screen scenes, or watch a 3D movie wherein they fling water at you.

Disney simply does screen rides better than Universal. Yes we don’t want halfassed screen rides like Fallon, Kong, and Fast and Furious, but I have no problems with FoP, MMMR, ROTR, RAT, or any of the Disney based screen rides. I’d also take anything over more spinners. I hope the Mary Poppins spinner plans die forever.

Disney simply does screen rides better than Universal. Yes we don’t want halfassed screen rides like Fallon, Kong, and Fast and Furious, but I have no problems with FoP, MMMR, ROTR, RAT, or any of the Disney based screen rides. I’d also take anything over more spinners. I hope the Mary Poppins spinner plans die forever.

Yeah, some screen rides at Universal, like Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey are pretty good, but the overreliance on them may have become lazy. Kong and F&F were both originally jsut part of the Backlot Tour at Uni Hollywood - they were just a few added stops with something to see, but turning them into full rides (and not changing much - granted I have not ridden either in Orlando) wasn't the best idea. They come off as filler because, well, they were filler for the Backlot tour (fun though!).

Spinners serve a purpose though, and Epcot could use one. It's for the kids, you know. That said, I would like it if they did something unique with it and not jsut a Dumbo clone or even an Alien Swirling Saucers clone. They could do soemthing a little unique with it for sure.

Yup. This was what we didn't like about US. I know that Remy is heavy on this, and it's a cute ride (rode it at DLParis), but I'd rather have real scenes that highlight the creativity of Disney.

Yeah, some screen rides at Universal, like Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey are pretty good, but the overreliance on them may have become lazy. Kong and F&F were both originally jsut part of the Backlot Tour at Uni Hollywood - they were just a few added stops with something to see, but turning them into full rides (and not changing much - granted I have not ridden either in Orlando) wasn't the best idea. They come off as filler because, well, they were filler for the Backlot tour (fun though!).

Spinners serve a purpose though, and Epcot could use one. It's for the kids, you know. That said, I would like it if they did something unique with it and not jsut a Dumbo clone or even an Alien Swirling Saucers clone. They could do soemthing a little unique with it for sure.
Emotional whirlwind clone but with balloons from MP reruns vs core memories

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter