Deadline to Obtain Refund from Cancelled Cruise

BrerNashville

DIS Veteran
Is there one?

I had a cruise cancelled, and have not booked any subsequent cruise with my 125% credit. Is there any deadline for me to give up and just ask for my money back? I was paid in full at the time of the original cancellation.

This has probably been asked and answered, so apologies in advance.

I believe the FCC is good through next May (2022), so I would assume you have until then to claim/use the FCC. Presumably if unused, the 100% refund would then be issued, though maybe it would continue to hold as a credit (but not 125%).

I could see that, but in the email telling me about the FCC, there was not a mention of a deadline by which I had to choose. In other words, could I, today -- 7 months after my cruise was cancelled on account of COVID issues, request a cash refund?

Yes, you can request a refund today. The cash is yours to take at any time, DCL doesn’t have any rights to your money that you paid for a cruise which didn’t occur. Once you decide to give up the extra 25% FCC, you are entitled to a full refund.

I could see that, but in the email telling me about the FCC, there was not a mention of a deadline by which I had to choose. In other words, could I, today -- 7 months after my cruise was cancelled on account of COVID issues, request a cash refund?

Yes, you can. Just did the same thing. Our May, 2020 cruise was cancelled, so we took the FCC and booked the same cruise for May, 2021. After much consideration, we decided the May cruise probably won’t sail, or if it does, will have severe restrictions.

We had 2 cabins - PIF. Called Monday and moved one cabin to September, 2021 and cancelled the other. Will get a full refund of what we originally paid for that cruise. DCL had the exact amount of the refund, and it was correct.

Yes, you can. Just did the same thing. Our May, 2020 cruise was cancelled, so we took the FCC and booked the same cruise for May, 2021. After much consideration, we decided the May cruise probably won’t sail, or if it does, will have severe restrictions.

We had 2 cabins - PIF. Called Monday and moved one cabin to September, 2021 and cancelled the other. Will get a full refund of what we originally paid for that cruise. DCL had the exact amount of the refund, and it was correct.

I am concerned about our cruise in September ‘21. We originally were booked for a honeymoon cruise in July ‘20, but that was cancelled. Will Disney allow us to move again without penalty? We would just lose the 125% credit, correct?

I am concerned about our cruise in September ‘21. We originally were booked for a honeymoon cruise in July ‘20, but that was cancelled. Will Disney allow us to move again without penalty? We would just lose the 125% credit, correct?
If DCL cancels the cruise, you can move it again. AFAIK, the 125% credit (from the original canceled cruise) remains that - 125% of the first cruise price. You don't get additional 25% on the second canceled cruise. So, for example, if the original cruise cost $1000, you have $1250 future cruise credit that you apply toward a second cruise. If that cruise gets canceled, you can move your reservation to a third cruise using the $1250 future cruise credit.

If DCL cancels the cruise, you can move it again. AFAIK, the 125% credit (from the original canceled cruise) remains that - 125% of the first cruise price. You don't get additional 25% on the second canceled cruise. So, for example, if the original cruise cost $1000, you have $1250 future cruise credit that you apply toward a second cruise. If that cruise gets canceled, you can move your reservation to a third cruise using the $1250 future cruise credit.
I view this differently. Get your money back ASAP. I never let anyone hold my money and no one knows what uncharted waters are yet to come.

Are you asking about DCL cancelling again? Or are you looking to move it now? You can do that without penalty before the PIF. I believe you can keep the FCC for any cruise through May 2022; if you move it later than that you would lose the extra 25% (you'd keep what you paid for the original July 2020 cruise plus any extra you may have paid for the Sep. 2021 cruise).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter