DDP - Which meals to pay out of pocket?

e_yerger

DIS Veteran
So I have a question about when you are going to be doing an "extra" TS meal - which should you pay out of pocket for?

We are on the DDP for 3 nights, so 3 TS credits. Our reservations are:
Boma
California Grill
La Hacienda de San Angel

Since Cali Grill is 2 TS credits, we will be short 1 TS credit for our trip. Which meal should we pay out of pocket for and why? TIA!

You need to look at what you'll likely get at Cali Grill and La Hacienda. General rule is that you would pay for the signature OOP because the value of that meal is generally less than the cost of two other TS meals. However, that would then leave you with an extra credit.

How big is your party (adults and kids)? You could look at menus for both La Hacienda and Cali Grill and do a combination of OOP and DDP at those two locations in order to pay for the cheapest meals and use credits on the more expensive entrees.

Actually, is Boma breakfast or lunch/dinner? That factors into things, too.

You need to look at what you'll likely get at Cali Grill and La Hacienda. General rule is that you would pay for the signature OOP because the value of that meal is generally less than the cost of two other TS meals. However, that would then leave you with an extra credit.

How big is your party (adults and kids)? You could look at menus for both La Hacienda and Cali Grill and do a combination of OOP and DDP at those two locations in order to pay for the cheapest meals and use credits on the more expensive entrees.

Actually, is Boma breakfast or lunch/dinner? That factors into things, too.
great questions! I should have probably included that.

We are two adults, who appreciate good food and a good drink or two (we're both in our mid 20's)

All reservations are for dinner! We also have a BOG breakfast but that will be a QS credit.

This will be my 3rd time eating at Cali Grill and each time my bill has come to about $200 (2 people each time). But both times that included appetizers and drinks. I know with the DDP we will have to pay for any appetizers out of pocket if we want those.

Edit: Since we don't want to have an extra TS credit, this would mean we have to decide between Boma and La Hacienda and compare meals there?

This will be my 3rd time eating at Cali Grill and each time my bill has come to about $200 (2 people each time). But both times that included appetizers and drinks. I know with the DDP we will have to pay for any appetizers out of pocket if we want those.

Edit: Since we don't want to have an extra TS credit, this would mean we have to decide between Boma and La Hacienda and compare meals there?

OR you pay one person OOP at Cali Grill. That gives you enough credits to do both of the others. Just put the highest price entree, dessert and alcoholic drink on the DDP and pay OOP for the other entree. Or maybe you get two apps and share everything. I think this gives you the most flexibility.

OR you pay one person OOP at Cali Grill. That gives you enough credits to do both of the others. Just put the highest price entree, dessert and alcoholic drink on the DDP and pay OOP for the other entree. Or maybe you get two apps and share everything. I think this gives you the most flexibility.

I second this, especially if you like the apps at Cali.

oh wow I never thought of that!!! That is really smart and I think that would work for us. Have you ever done this before? Are the waiters accommodating with adjusting the bill so we can finesse which goes on with order (OOP vs DDP)?

oh wow I never thought of that!!! That is really smart and I think that would work for us. Have you ever done this before? Are the waiters accommodating with adjusting the bill so we can finesse which goes on with order (OOP vs DDP)?

You will have no problems whatsoever. They're used to it.

You will have no problems whatsoever. They're used to it.
but it's probably easier and faster if one person orders all the expensive stuff on the Dining Plan and the other orders the less expensive stuff OOP. Just let your server know which order is DDP.

Example:
Person A order the Surf & Turf or the Dry Aged Strip Steak; the Artisanal Cheeses; and a Hoenig Cabernet Sauvignon.. Person B orders the Ramp Tagliatelle, the Guava Sorbet, and an Ace Joke Cider.
DDP $111.00-$116.00
OOP $53.00

Last edited:
So help me out here.

We have 9 nights dining, doing two sigs, so really 7 nights on plan, 2 oop. One of the signatures is Boathouse. Micky will make the plan worth it, I will be getting the burger, so kind of a not worth a sig. Maybe have him use his two credits for his part, pay mine out of pocket, and that would give us 8 nights of dinners instead of 7 because I will have two extra?
Can I just pay for both of us with two of my credits one night?

So help me out here.

We have 9 nights dining, doing two sigs, so really 7 nights on plan, 2 oop. One of the signatures is Boathouse. Micky will make the plan worth it, I will be getting the burger, so kind of a not worth a sig. Maybe have him use his two credits for his part, pay mine out of pocket, and that would give us 8 nights of dinners instead of 7 because I will have two extra?
Yes. The credits are pooled.

Maybe have him use his two credits for his part, pay mine out of pocket, and that would give us 8 nights of dinners instead of 7 because I will have two extra?

This is 100% what you should do, unless you think the drink/meal/dessert combination that one of you gets at the other sig is going to be less than your Boathouse dinner (sounds like it isn't).

This is by far the best way to handle overage when you have an even number of adults eating on the DDP. It gets more complicated when you have odd numbers, start mixing in kid credits, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter