DDP newbie questions

minoh

Somewhere over the rainbow
So it's my understanding that you get credits for the nights that you're staying. By the time we reach our resort on the arrival day, it'll probably be ~10pm. I'm assuming that we'll have eaten by then and will just want to go to bed to rest up for our first WDW day. The day we check-out we have an impossibly early departure from our resort, since our international flight is at 7am and I think that means that the Magic Express will be picking us up at 3am (gah!).

Anyway, how would the DDP work in our case? Would the DDP cover us for those 5 days or would it include the days that we're checking in and out, too?

It's a separate question but with so many TS reservations, I'm still trying to figure out if the DDP is a better deal. Does it tend not to be if we go with the standard plan, seeing as we have planned for so many TS meals? We've got ADRs for our 5 days at WDW, with at least two, sometimes 3, TS meals/day. There are 8 of us, 5 considered adults on the plan, and 3 younger kids.

The DDP starts the day you check in, and you have until 11:59PM of your check out day to use all the credits. The credits are awarded based on nights of paid accommodation.

You keep saying days. But the credits are awarded based on nights.

Standard DDP can be a good deal if you have a balance of adults and children, and a lot of character-type meals and one-price dining experiences (i.e., buffets, dinner shows, etc.). If you're doing 3TS per day, DxDP is more likely to cover your needs.

Ok, thanks. So the first day credits would likely be wasted. They're not transferable to another day, right?

We do have several buffets booked. I guess without going through and pricing it all out, there's no way to guess whether or not it's worth getting the plan.

If we don't opt for the DDP, is it ok to share meals? I've heard the portions at most restaurants are really huge.

No - not wasted. You can use all of the credits from your plan any day of your trip.

That's good, I didn't realise they could be transferred to other days. Do we HAVE to pay for that first night, though, or could we just get a 5 day plan for the days that we'd actually make use of it. If we were to get the deluxe plan (which probably wouldn't happen, but just wondering), I know we wouldn't need those extra credits from our first night and it would save us over $600.

You have to get the dining plan for every night of your stay no matter which plan. The only way around this is to book 2 separate hotel reservations. The first night as a room only reservation. You may have to go to the front desk in the morning to check into your package stay with the dining plan and there is a small chance you would have to switch rooms ( not highly likely). You could use those credits for a ts breakfast or lunch however. You really have to do the math to see if it is cost effective. Allearsnet has accurate menus and prices for all Disney restaurants.

From your original post it looks like the deluxe plan would be more cost effective for you .are you sure you want to do 3 TS in one day though? That is A LOT of food and at least 4 1/2 hours per day in restaurants, not including travel time if you are eating outside of the park you are in.

That's good, I didn't realise they could be transferred to other days. Do we HAVE to pay for that first night, though, or could we just get a 5 day plan for the days that we'd actually make use of it. If we were to get the deluxe plan (which probably wouldn't happen, but just wondering), I know we wouldn't need those extra credits from our first night and it would save us over $600.

If you can tell us exactly how many NIGHTS you are staying (including the 10 pm one) and the TS meals you're planning, we could help you do the math and figure out which, if any dining plan makes the most sense for you.

From your original post it looks like the deluxe plan would be more cost effective for you .are you sure you want to do 3 TS in one day though? That is A LOT of food and at least 4 1/2 hours per day in restaurants, not including travel time if you are eating outside of the park you are in.

I never really thought about the time it would take for all the meals. We were just hoping for good quality food, but certainly don't need huge meals all day long. Do all TS meals tend to be really large portions?

If you can tell us exactly how many NIGHTS you are staying (including the 10 pm one) and the TS meals you're planning, we could help you do the math and figure out which, if any dining plan makes the most sense for you.

We're going to be in Disney for 6 nights in total.

The deluxe plan comes with appetisers, entree and dessert. Most people who buy this plan use it for either breakfast or early lunch and a signature ( 2 dining credit) dinner. It is still a lot of food even using it for 2 meals like that. It also comes with 2 snacks per day. I would never recommend 3 TS meals per day for first time or seldom visitors. Way to much time taken up eating. You will sacrifice rides and shows.

Do you think this will be way too much food then? The 2 days we have 3 TS meals planned I have the following ADRs:
Day 1: Kona breakfast, Crystal Palace lunch, and The Wave dinner
Day 2: early Captain's Grille breakfast, mid-afternoon Akershus lunch, Tokyo Dining dinner

We definitely don't want to waste money or food. I'm just having a hard time deciding which ADRs to keep.

If you want to list your ADRS we can help you plan a good balance of good fun meals ( because that is part of the experience) with adequate time to enjoy the park highlights.

We're staying at CR. Day 1 mentioned above is going to an MK day, whereas Day 2 will be at Epcot.

Here's the full list of ADRs I have:
First day (AK day): The Wave breakfast, QS lunch, Boma Dinner
Second day (MK day): EMM buffet breakfast, QS lunch, Liberty Tree Tavern dinner
Third day (HS day): Contempo Cafe breakfast, Mama Melrose's lunch, Sci-Fi dinner
Fourth day (MK again): Kona breakfast, CP lunch, The Wave dinner
Fifth day (Epcot): Captain's Grille breakfast, Akershus late lunch, Tokyo Dining dinner

I do think it's too much food and time away from the parks. I would pick 2 ts at most and spread them out at least 6 hours apart. How did you plan on getting to Captains Grill for breakfast?

I do think it's too much food and time away from the parks. I would pick 2 ts at most and spread them out at least 6 hours apart. How did you plan on getting to Captains Grill for breakfast?

That's very helpful advice. And I'm sure we'll save a lot of money, as well as food. Getting to CG was the only part I wasn't quite sure about. I thought perhaps we could walk to MK and take the YC bus?

Day 1: do you plan on returning to AK after dinner or ending your day after dinner?

I'm pretty sure we'd be done with AK by that point. We will take the bus to MK and walk to CR for a restful evening. The kids will be ready for an early bedtime, I'm guessing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter