DDP and purchasing tickets

Ariel on Land

DIS Veteran
Help me make sure I'm following this right:

In order to get DDP you have to have at least one day full priced ticket on your ressie? But then you can buy your other days tickets elsewhere but still get the DDP throughout the entire stay?

Here's what I'm thinking: We're military, so we can get *slightly* discounted tax free tickets from base or at SOG. (We're having to go after the military offer expires DH's deployed until beginning of Oct... bad timing huh?) But we want to get the dining plan for our stay. I'm just wondering if it would be cheaper to get the one day ticket w/ the package and then get the other's elsewhere. But we just have to have the DDP the whole time of course!! :)

SO am I following things right?

Well, nevermind... I think the whole tiered pricing makes it not worth it.

The normal rule is that you must purchase a package deal to get a dining plan. As you noted, that mans a minimum 1 day base MYW ticket per person.

But there are exceptions. Annual passholders can book a ticketless package, and DVC members staying on points can add a dining plan without a ticket purchase.

With last year's military promotion, I know they were running special packages including dining for military guests. I don't know if they run anything similar now that that particular promotion is over. Your best bet would be to call Disney reservations and see what they've got.

As far as "get a 1-day ticket for the package and the other days from a military discount" idea, I'd suggest you check your math carefully before doing that. The first day on a MYW ticket is the most expensive, and even with discounts, having to repeat that first day cost may wind up costing you more than you save.

The more days you get the cheaper per day it gets. Several years ago we had a 7 day pass and were there for 7 nights, using it on arrivel day and every day ment no ticket on leaving day, we didn't leave till later in the day and went to see if we could add the 8th day to our pass that now had no days remaining and the price was only like $3 each for that 8th day so we went for it. Also the places you get the discounted tickets, check the shipping till they add that in that briongs up the price. Like mentioned do the math, maybe they would extend the military discount, is this the free dining I think you may have to buy a 2 day pass this year, I attached info from Mouse Savers. Have a great trip.

http://www.mousesavers.com/packages.html#freedine

Like Cheshire Figment said, they have been running a special promotion for military - room discount plus dining, no tickets required. (Unless I am remembering incorrectly you can't get deluxe dining with this package though). Call Disney and ask about the promotion.

Thanks everyone-- and yes, I think you all are right, the tiered pricing system really prevents any savings by buying remaining tickets elsewhere.

As for the military deal- yes, that works very well, we used it last year, except it expires end of September, and my hubby will be deployed until a week or so past that date, so we will be prevented from taking advantage of it. (Although I'll probably ask anyways and cross my little fingers that they extend the dates out some-- that would be ideal!)

And just to clarify, it's not just one ticket that would need to be purchased, it's a ticket for everyone in your party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter