DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Happy (?) Monday. Spent a nice Sunday afternoon driving out to a town called Cupids, which was the first English settlement in Canada (1610) and second in North America after Jamestown, Virginia (1607). Did the museum and archaeology dig tour. The difference between Cupids and Jamestown is that in the first year 2/3 of Jamestown settlers died, while in Cupids 4 of the 30 died, which they consider more successful. Not sure people dying was a success, but it makes you realize what conditions those early settlers had. OK, history lesson over.

Sounds interesting. I'd like to get up to Massachusetts in 6 years to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the arrival of my ancestor who came over from Merry Old England.

Vacation. That is all.
Safe travels and no pictures of budgie smugglers or this will become the 2nd thread that shall not be named.

... More yard work today and for a few more days yet. Most of the weeds and vines are gone and I laid a couple of bags of pine bark. I think it will work..
Don't push it. The food in the cardiac unit leaves a lot to be desired.

Top O the Mornin Dads

Boy can't go wrong with either when thinking about food options for a 14 yo while on his own as both have good options. If he is doing park time on his own, Poly may be better with Monorail for both MK & Epcot rather than him walking or bus from BWV. Not sure if you stayed at Poly before, but if not short walk to EPCOT monorail at ticket and transportation center.
Not sure what he will want to do that is my problem. Being first time without someone other than mom and dad could have him at a loss.

I'm guessing this probably depends on you.
I think MK is the hardest park to get so I'd rank them BLT > BW > POLY if the ranking was strictly location and you are planning on doing MK days. (And I weight this criteria more heavily when it's crowded)
Not sure which size rooms your comparing but since Poly is included I'm guessing studio in which case I rank them POLY, BW (refurbished with the pull down bed), BLT
For value I'd probably rank them BW, POLY, BLT ( I really like the second shower/sink area)
For resort themeing I'd rank them POLY, BW BLT

Most importantly I rate them BLT, POLY, BW on the distance from the creepy clown scale.

Good points
We have stayed at all three of these in past. I have my favorites but I am trying to think for him. I just feel he will get bored easy and will need the most activities I can find for him.he will be done with parks fast so not worrying about them. Resort time for a single kid is what i need to find. Thinking of adding Beach club to the mix so he has storm along bay

Good morning fellas. Atlanta is not as terrible as I imagined. But, we are also only staying within walking distance of the hotel. We are at the Johnson O'Connor Foundation for testing for our oldest. We were the first one in today, and we will have our results meeting tomorrow AM before going to the Poly.

I've been able to enjoy the visual attractions in Atlanta. I thought i could see the color of a woman's thong underneath her yoga pants. Life in the big city.

Well we finally got our summer vacation plans hammered out. Alas no Disney this year, couldn't make the budget work.
Gonna use our Worldmark points to stay in New Braunfels for 4 days. We renewed our annual membership to Six Flags so I figure we will spend 3-4 days that week down there at Fiesta Texas. Also going to take the girls to the drive in, they have a great set up where you have room to back into the spots and set up chairs to watch the double feature.

Been to six flags Chicago. Did the one in Louisville ever become a six flags? Been to that one as well. Have a good vacation.

Safe travels and no pictures of budgie smugglers or this will become the 2nd thread that shall not be named.

No need to worry about that. Alcohol is expensive in WDW, and Dan can't afford to buy me enough of it to get a picture of me in those.

Good morning fellas. Atlanta is not as terrible as I imagined. But, we are also only staying within walking distance of the hotel. We are at the Johnson O'Connor Foundation for testing for our oldest. We were the first one in today, and we will have our results meeting tomorrow AM before going to the Poly.

I've been able to enjoy the visual attractions in Atlanta. I thought i could see the color of a woman's thong underneath her yoga pants. Life in the big city.
If you're near the Johnson O'Conner location, you'd be in Buckhead, which is one of the better/ritzier areas of Atlanta. Not quite the same as downtown Atlanta.

I hope the changes are in a good way.
Enjoy your trip! Looking forward to seeing some updates as you go, if you get the chance.
Yeah mate, all good, if a bit risky.
Cheers, I'll probably update in the other place, I can't seem to get my pictures up on here, and I'm not taking the laptop.
Ah man, now I've got to re-pack.
I'd like to get up to Massachusetts in 6 years to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the arrival of my ancestor who came over from Merry Old England.
Or you could come to merry old England in 6 years less one week and celebrate his life here? And then take a cruise back to follow in his footsteps? I'll wave at you tearfully from the dock if it helps....
Alcohol is expensive in WDW, and Dan can't afford to buy me enough of it to get a picture of me in those.
This is what crowdfunding should be for.

OK boys. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. I cannot in all faith besmirch a Princess' reputation on Tuesday and do a meet and greet on Friday, so I'll leave it there. Have a great week chaps I'll see you on the other side with a couple of cranky kids. I'll be the one wandering round the Poly at 5:00am Thurs because the kids are awake on UK time.
London out.

If you're near the Johnson O'Conner location, you'd be in Buckhead, which is one of the better/ritzier areas of Atlanta. Not quite the same as downtown Atlanta.

You are correct. We are less than a mile away at the Hyatt and just doing whatever is in walking distance. It is a really nice area.

OK boys. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. I cannot in all faith besmirch a Princess' reputation on Tuesday and do a meet and greet on Friday, so I'll leave it there. Have a great week chaps I'll see you on the other side with a couple of cranky kids. I'll be the one wandering round the Poly at 5:00am Thurs because the kids are awake on UK time.
London out.

I'm usually awake around 6 AM. You can buy me a drink if they are serving that early. :drinking1 :lmao:

Top O the Mornin Dads! Wedding pictures became available - over 600, this is gonna cost me more money .......... Oh well, as DW said only got 1 daughter. Have a good one fellas.
Vacation. That is all.
London out.
Safe travels and enjoy the vacation and the Poly for me guys. When's the meet up scheduled. And Norm, Captain Cook's might be able to get a beer out of the grab and go refrigerators at 6:00 a.m.
Eventful week over here with some life changin' stuff going on. 36 hrs till Disney time. I can almost smell the jet fuel. And the bloke in front who took his shoes off.
Yeah mate, all good, if a bit risky.
Cheers, I'll probably update in the other place, I can't seem to get my pictures up on here, and I'm not taking the laptop.
Hope all is good with the life changing stuff, keep us posted.

Me to colleague: So I have to take next Thursday and Friday off to go to Florida.
Co-Worker: <Massive Eye Roll> Are you going to Disney again, don't you do anything else?
Me to colleague: Actually my grandfather passed away so I'm going to Florida for the funeral.
Co-Worker: <Very embarassed> I'm so sorry.
Me: And since we are going to be in Florida, I thought we'd go to Disney World for a couple of days....

We have stayed at all three of these in past. I have my favorites but I am trying to think for him. I just feel he will get bored easy and will need the most activities I can find for him.he will be done with parks fast so not worrying about them. Resort time for a single kid is what i need to find. Thinking of adding Beach club to the mix so he has storm along bay
Beach club could be good. I think that's a tough Call. I think if it's just purely the resort I would go with Poly, but when you factor in the whole Boardwalk area I think there is a lot more to do a BW. If there isn't park time, BW or BC would probably be my choice.

Okay, I've offered to a couple of guys on here, but I'll make a broader offer to all DISdads...

I live in Marietta, GA (suburb of Atlanta on the NW side). I'm about 1.5 miles from I-75. If you're coming through on your way to the mouse or heading home from the mouse and you need a pit stop, let me know. We have a couple extra rooms now we're almost empty nesters. DW and I are both good cooks and although we don't drink a lot, we do have a few selections and the store (grocery and package) are less than 5 minutes away, so I'm sure we could find something ya like. For travel planning, if not leaving during rush hour, we are about 7 - 8 hours (depending on how fast you drive) from the mouse. Usually takes me about 7.25 hours, but I have the sunpass so I don't have to stop for the toll booths on the turnpike.

On a different note, we'll be heading down to the most expensive (err magical) place in the world. :lmao: September 22nd - 25th. So, if any DISdads are there during that timeframe, would love to meet up for a dole whip or beer (or both, but not at the same time...eww)

Last edited:
Me to colleague: So I have to take next Thursday and Friday off to go to Florida.
Co-Worker: <Massive Eye Roll> Are you going to Disney again, don't you do anything else?
Me to colleague: Actually my grandfather passed away so I'm going to Florida for the funeral.
Co-Worker: <Very embarassed> I'm so sorry.
Me: And since we are going to be in Florida, I thought we'd go to Disney World for a couple of days....

That's too good!!!! There are a few of us at work who are Disney fans although I think I'm able to go less often than they are. :sad:

I have family about 40 min from Disney, so every trip to Dis, I see them as well. Every trip to see them, I see Dis as well.

That's too good!!!! There are a few of us at work who are Disney fans although I think I'm able to go less often than they are. :sad:

I have family about 40 min from Disney, so every trip to Dis, I see them as well. Every trip to see them, I see Dis as well.

I have one colleague that is a Disney fan, (His daughter was a CM) but for the most part the people I work with view Disney as kind of a 1 and done place. However, at church the small group we are involved with is a collection of people that really like Disney and running. A section of that group usually goes to Disney together for Marathon weekend. I think this year we have a group of 19 going.

Continued back yard work going on down here. Lasted a couple of hours this morning and gave up. Maybe I should go to Home Depot where day laborers hang out and just pay them to do it.

I think that call is unanimous.

Spent enough time in a hospital once so I know from real experience that food is even worse than Tony's.

Johnson O'Connor Foundation for testing for our oldest? Never heard of it, is everything OK?

London out.

Have a blast mate.

I'm usually awake around 6 AM. You can buy me a drink if they are serving that early. :drinking1 :lmao:

You might be able to get a Mimosa or Bloody Mary at Kona to go with breakfast.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Wedding pictures became available - over 600, this is gonna cost me more money .......... Oh well, as DW said only got 1 daughter. Have a good one fellas.

Feel free to post some here if you want.

Beach club could be good. I think that's a tough Call. I think if it's just purely the resort I would go with Poly, but when you factor in the whole Boardwalk area I think there is a lot more to do a BW. If there isn't park time, BW or BC would probably be my choice.

If Drive By reads this, I second the Beach Club. Storm Along is a place where he can kill a bunch of time and not even know it. Lunch at ESPN, walking around the BW, maybe hit some of the arcades could be a good day.

I live in Marietta, GA (suburb of Atlanta on the NW side). I'm about 1.5 miles from I-75. If you're coming through on your way to the mouse or heading home from the mouse and you need a pit stop, let me know. We have a couple extra rooms now we're almost empty nesters. DW and I are both good cooks and although we don't drink a lot, we do have a few selections and the store (grocery and package) are less than 5 minutes away, so I'm sure we could find something ya like. For travel planning, if not leaving during rush hour, we are about 7 - 8 hours (depending on how fast you drive) from the mouse. Usually takes me about 7.25 hours, but I have the sunpass so I don't have to stop for the toll booths on the turnpike.

Very generous offer. Much preferable than my SIL's place in Savannah but she would cut the kid out of the will if we skipped her house. In fact, we are thinking about driving up there next month to see the eclipse.

A section of that group usually goes to Disney together for Marathon weekend. I think this year we have a group of 19 going.

Rivalling the DDC as far as numbers go. Maybe a shrimp wall competition at Ohana's between the two groups.

Very generous offer. Much preferable than my SIL's place in Savannah but she would cut the kid out of the will if we skipped her house. In fact, we are thinking about driving up there next month to see the eclipse.

Well, if you decide to, just PM me and I'll give ya my contact info. I don't want anyone to be cut out of a will, but considering I just finished reading your TR from a few years back (taking 16yo DD and friends to WDW) and I'd like to at the least shake your hand and buy you a drink. Yes, I think you were nuts, but in the good DISdad way. I'm sure your DD will remember that fondly forever and I'm sure your time in your room and your bath and your balcony will forever be etched in your fond memories department. :worship::worship::worship:

My wife and youngest dd are shopping..... at mall.... in Atlanta.

Is the extraction team still available? :scared1:

Safe travels and enjoy the vacation and the Poly for me guys. When's the meet up scheduled. And Norm, Captain Cook's might be able to get a beer out of the grab and go refrigerators at 6:00 a.m.

Hope all is good with the life changing stuff, keep us posted.

Good to know. And, you don't want pictures of your son's wedding? Don't worry - we won't say anything. :lmao:

SAB was fun. I hoped the lazy river would be bigger. I think clown mouth water slide at BWV is better though.

Okay, I've offered to a couple of guys on here, but I'll make a broader offer to all DISdads...

On a different note, we'll be heading down to the most expensive (err magical) place in the world. :lmao: September 22nd - 25th. So, if any DISdads are there during that timeframe, would love to meet up for a dole whip or beer (or both, but not at the same time...eww)

Thanks for invite. We'd like to join you in September as well, as it is a great time with low crowd levels. Until dds are out of school, no chance at that.

Johnson O'Connor Foundation for testing for our oldest? Never heard of it, is everything OK?

Have a blast mate.

You might be able to get a Mimosa or Bloody Mary at Kona to go with breakfast.

Feel free to post some here if you want.

If Drive By reads this, I second the Beach Club. Storm Along is a place where he can kill a bunch of time and not even know it. Lunch at ESPN, walking around the BW, maybe hit some of the arcades could be a good day.

Rivalling the DDC as far as numbers go. Maybe a shrimp wall competition at Ohana's between the two groups.

Everything is good. It is aptitude testing. You can google them for more info. It is a 6 hour series of individualized tests, comparing intelligence, interests, and aptitudes, with some career or education recommendations. Back story - this was how GE originally tested new employees to match them with best job.

They do all sorts of tests - hand-eye, listening, colors, vocabulary, etc. She had her lunch break and said she scored really high on the hand-eye coordination test. The instructor commented that was in the surgeon range. My daughter laughed since she can't stand seeing blood. More tests this afternoon and Final results tomorrow.

My wife and youngest dd are shopping..... at mall.... in Atlanta.

Is the extraction team still available? :scared1:

I can be there in an hour. Oh wait, it's almost rush hour time in the ATL..maybe 2 hours.
:lmao:

Thanks for invite. We'd like to join you in September as well, as it is a great time with low crowd levels. Until dds are out of school, no chance at that.
Our DD has that week off from school. Questionable whether she'll be off from work, so we may be child-less for the first time in years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter