DCL vs. other cruise lines... my thoughts after sailing on the Disney Magic 9-Night Mediterranean

whatlevelisthis

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
I recently got off the 9 night Italy/Greece June 27 - July 6 voyage on the Disney Magic and am posting my thoughts here, especially from the perspective of someone who has never sailed DCL before. Prior to my voyage, I spent lots of time on the DIS and CruiseCritic boards reading about DCL and how it compares with other lines. I hope this helps anyone who's on the fence of whether Disney is worth trying, especially given their fares are easily 2-3x higher than other cruise lines.

About me and my traveling party:
Childless couple in mid-30s/40s. Previously sailed on Royal Caribbean (Allure of the Seas; 7 night Caribbean in 2017) and Princess (Regal Princess; 9 night N. Europe in 2018).

Ports of call:
Rome (Civitavecchia), Katakolon (Olympia), Heraklion, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples

Overall I had a great time, and I would happily sail with Disney again. Whether it's worth the premium is of course subjective. The atmosphere onboard DCL is nice— I loved the nautical, 1930s ocean liner feel. I liked the light Disney touches and theming throughout. There was none of the aggressive upselling that we experienced on Royal Caribbean. The food on DCL was slightly better (with the exception of Cabanas). Entertainment was, not surprisingly, excellent. That said, I’m not sure if it was due to Covid, but I was expecting more of a “Disney Difference” in the service, but instead it felt very similar to other cruise lines, with the exception of a couple really outstanding cast members. I also felt like there were more maintenance and attention to detail issues than I would have expected from Disney, but this might have been due to the newness of the crew onboard.

Embarkation in Rome
This was a disaster and a big black eye for Disney. It took 2.5 hours from start to finish. When we arrived at 1:30 there was a huge line that wrapped around the terminal. It was so backed up that Port Arrival Times weren’t being enforced.

The biggest problem was that the Rome port personnel and the Prenetics COVID testing people were poorly trained. The Prenetics people who ran the Covid testing were bored and clearly didn’t like their jobs and didn’t tell us anything about what to expect next (i.e., you had to go upstairs and wait until you get an email with your test results). I was expecting to get an email with my results in 20 mins, instead we had to wait in the terminal over an hour with total chaos, broken down WiFi, no power outlets, no water, no Disney personnel anywhere to tell us what was going on, and many confused passengers milling about. The WiFi in the terminal couldn’t handle 2,000 people checking their email simultaneously for their test results. I was lucky that occasionally I could get some 3G cell signal if I held up my phone, but it didn’t work most of the time and drained my battery. The port had set up an alternative WiFi network and had hastily scribbled the password on a piece of paper and taped it to the wall without any explanation that it was the WiFi password. Plus, this alternative WiFi network *ALSO* didn’t work. It took 70 minutes for us to get our test results; there were others in our cruise Facebook group who waited two hours only to find that Prenetics lost their test results. Because embarkation took so long, by the time we got onboard Cabanas was closed already.

I understand that the people who work at the port terminal are not Disney employees, even though they were wearing Disney neckties and scarves. However, I was surprised there were no DCL managers or anyone trying to take charge of the situation, or at the very least making announcements telling everyone that test results were delayed, or at the very least providing service recovery by providing water. Embarkation was not up to Disney standards and this was not a good first impression. Thankfully, things improved once we got onboard!

Ship impressions
Despite the disastrous embarkation, first impressions stepping onboard were great. I liked how they announce your family name when you step into the atrium. The Disney Magic is beautiful and I love the nostalgic ocean liner feel of the ship, as opposed to the neon / mall like glitziness of a RCCL ship. The Magic is showing its age in some spots if you look carefully enough (rust spots, flaking paint, etc.), but for the most part the ship feels well maintained. The A/C was broken in the forward elevator lobby on decks 6 and 7 and remained broken for the first half of the voyage until I reported it to Guest Services, after which it was promptly fixed. I’m surprised no other crew reported it as it was noticeably hot in the lobby.

Stateroom (Category 9A oceanview on Deck 6, starboard)
Overall the stateroom was in very good condition. It’s showing some wear and tear in some areas. The room is noticeably larger than the typical stateroom on Royal Caribbean or Princess. The split bathrooms are a godsend. The bed was extremely comfortable and the Frette linens were a nice touch. I liked the privacy curtain dividing the couch area from the bed, which is not something you’ll find on other cruise lines. The A/C worked ok, but I felt like the room was a bit on the warm side. Also, the A/C dripped water onto the carpet sometimes.

The room was quiet, with no noisy neighbors on either side of us (we had noisy neighbors from hell on our last Princess cruise). Note that you absolutely can hear the thrusters when docking each morning in port and it will wake you up. If you’re a deep sleeper it might not bother you, but in the future I would probably pick a verandah stateroom midship because we’re sensitive to noise.

Our stateroom host was exceptional and had been with DCL for 10 years. His towel animals were incredible ! He was from Indonesia and was very personable and efficient. I noticed that the crew on DCL tend to a bit friendlier and more willing to chat than the crew on other lines.

I read that Princess has recently been cutting back by getting rid of nightly turndown service and chocolates on the pillow. I'm glad DCL is still keeping up the tradition.

Food
I read lots of threads and reviews comparing DCL with other cruise line food, and so I was eager to judge for myself. Overall I’d say in the main dining rooms, DCL food can be hit or miss but it’s generally a step up from RCCL and Princess. I remember on Royal, we had spongy watery prime rib, whereas the prime rib and steaks on Disney were higher quality. Royal Caribbean food tends to be on the simpler side whereas DCL is aiming to be a bit fancier; whereas on Princess, there was more variety of options than DCL, however, the food just wasn’t executed very well on Princess.

I had a few entrees on Disney that were surprisingly good and even rivaled food in a restaurant on land (for example, the Crispy Roasted Duck or Lamb Shank in Lumiere’s, and the sirloin steak on the Let the Magic Begin menu in Animator’s Palate was shockingly good). Desserts however tended to be disappointing. I was surprised because Disney has 50 years of experience creating desserts in their parks.

That said, the buffet food in Cabanas was just not that great. There just wasn’t much variety from day-to-day, and the meats were often overcooked. It isn’t fair though to compare it to the buffets on Allure of the Seas and Regal Princess, which are much larger and newer. I think Cabanas could use a reimagining in the near future, as it seems cramped and dated compared to the competition. Also, Cabanas closed way too early at 2PM. We’d often rush back from our excursions and would miss out on lunch. Buffets on other cruise lines are often open most of the day, sometimes until midnight. The crab claws in Cabanas were a nice touch though.

We didn’t try Palo; but we hope to next time.

Quick service options were excellent. I liked how clean and efficient Duck-In Diner was. You place your order and you get your food almost immediately. On Regal Princess, it was an agonizingly slow wait to get a burger, which ended up being such a hassle that I didn’t bother going there anymore. And on Allure of the Seas, their quick service place was a mess with fries and ketchup and food all over the floor and they were always running out of food.

Dining Rooms and Dining Service
Dining Rooms - There’s simply no comparison here to other other cruise lines. Disney really knows how to make your dinner special. Animator’s Palate (both shows) was my favorite. I got goosebumps from the “Drawn to the Magic” show in Animator’s with the stirring music and the walls changing color and Sorcerer Mickey's grand entrance. I could watch that show over and over again. Rapunzel’s was fun, though you should watch the movie to fully appreciate it. And Lumiere’s still looks good, if a bit dated.

Service— There was absolutely nothing wrong with our servers, but they didn’t feel particularly “Disney”. They felt similar to the the servers we had on Royal or Princess. Our server was brisk and efficient and had been with DCL for 5 years. Our assistant server was on his first contract with DCL and had previously been with Holland America. There were some moments where service was slow, but it might have been due to backups in the kitchen. Also, our serving team had 4 tables (14 heads), which might have slowed them down. That said, they got our food and drink orders 100% correct each time and there were no service mistakes or issues.

Entertainment
This is again where Disney shines, as expected. The variety acts (juggler and ventriloquist, and Hector is Magic) were generally a step up from variety acts on Royal / Princess. In terms of Broadway style shows, Tangled and Twice Charmed were excellent. Disney Dreams was a bit hokey, but who doesn’t love a good medley of Disney songs? I wasn’t a fan of Once Upon a Song.

Weirdly enough, there was no Welcome Aboard show the first night. Is this normal for DCL? The theater was also dark one of the other nights.

Here is a schedule of the shows I took on embarkation:
IMG_8972.JPG

I was excited to find out Tisa was onboard our cruise, and she didn’t disappoint! We attended Match Your Mate and she had the entire room laughing in tears. Tisa is a gem.

Our cruise director was Peter, who struck the perfect balance between getting passengers excited for the daily activities without being obnoxious.

Pirate Night was fun though there were no fireworks, supposedly to the Greek restrictions. There was a Pirate Night buffet at Cabanas; however, there were no special fruit carvings like I’d seen online (did DCL lose those crew members due to COVID?) Also, there were no turkey legs, instead they were chicken drumsticks.

Ports of Call and Port Adventures
It was very, very crowded and hot in Italy/Greece, but we had an awesome time. We took two Port Adventures— Ancient Olympia in Katakolon (Adult Only Departure), and Knossos and the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion (Adult Only Departure), and I thought the Port Adventures were organized well. The quality of the local tour guides is always a bit hit or miss, but overall we enjoyed the convenience and comfort of the Port Adventures. We explored our own in the other ports.

Passengers
There were 1,828 passengers aboard the Magic (according to the iPad I snuck a peek at on the gangway). The ship did not feel crowded, especially in contrast to our time on Allure of the Seas where you felt like you were just a number and it was a constant fight to get seats in the theater, reservations were required for any activities on Allure, and pools and hot tubs were jam packed. The Quiet Cove adult area on the Magic would get busy but never overflowing with people, and it wasn’t hard to find a time when the whirlpools and pools were empty. It also didn’t feel like there were a ton of kids onboard, and the kids onboard seemed well behaved, with none of packs of kids/teenagers running up and down the halls like we had on Royal Caribbean.

The atmosphere onboard DCL feels more relaxed, and the passengers are in a good mood and are more polite to each other. This was one of my favorite parts of DCL— there is a culture of everyone trying to have a magical time. On Allure of the Seas, I recall running into crew who were in a bad mood and also passengers yelling at each other for saving seats in the theater, etc. Also worth mentioning, there were definitely fewer smokers on DCL.

Crew, Service, and Upkeep
Everyone onboard was helpful and we didn’t have any issues with the service; however, the average crew member onboard the Magic didn’t feel exceptionally different from a crew member you’d find on Royal or Princess. Our assistant server did mention that half of the crew on the ship were on their first contract with Disney. I’m not sure if that’s an exaggeration, but it’s possible a lot of them are still “earning their ears” and learning the Disney way of doing things. He also mentioned that DCL had cut their vacations from 8 weeks down to 7, so it seems like there are some staffing issues with Covid still rampaging through the ships and with experienced crew being poached for the Wish.

There were some little “attention to detail” issues I noticed during the cruise that were no biggie. However, Disney holds itself to higher standards, so I’ll mention them. For example, the soda machines were sometimes broken and ran out of ice often. In the gym, the pitcher of cold water and the paper cups would run out with no one refilling it. For some reason, there was a long line in the hot sun to get on the tenders back to the ship in Santorini and no cold towels or water were offered, whereas the nearby Norwegian Jade had no line and was offering cold towels to their passengers.

That said, the ship was spotlessly clean. And it was impressive to watch the crew in port constantly touching up the Magic’s beautiful paint and cleaning the windows, whereas the ships from competitor lines looked like rust buckets by comparison.

Environment
I like how DCL is the highest ranked cruise line on the Friends of Earth report card, especially for voluntarily using low sulfur fuel to reduce air pollution even when they’re not required to by law. I noticed this in ports. In Santorini we were anchored next to the Norwegian Jade, which was belching out acrid clouds of dirty smoke from its smokestack all day, whereas the Magic’s smokestack was clean as a whistle.

Not a good look for the Jade:
IMG_09F73EFFC8F0-1.jpeg

Overall Thoughts on DCL vs. Royal Caribbean and Princess:

Overall I would give DCL a 4.25 out of 5, and I would absolutely prefer to sail with DCL over other cruise lines. Royal Caribbean has many more activities on their ships, but DCL offers a more relaxed and classy vibe that some families might prefer over the more frenetic atmosphere on Royal. Also, I like how there is basically no upselling on DCL. On Royal (and to a lesser extent on Princess), you’re constantly dodging poor crew members pitching drinks packages, specialty restaurant offers, and so forth. I’ll never forget that on Allure of the Seas, during the ice skating show they turned the rink into a Monopoly board and had their ice skaters land on “Giovanni’s Table” as a way of pitching their specialty restaurants 🙄. Royal’s ships are big and innovative with lots of activities, and they do lots of things well, but I felt like I was living in a commercial onboard their ships. On DCL, there is blissfully none of that other than photographers offering to take your picture.

On the other hand, DCL is not perfect, especially given the prices they charge, and I’ve outlined a couple things here where I think they could do better. I’m not sure if the crew we had was newer than normal due to Covid or some of them being moved over to the Wish. Also, another thing to consider is that DCL ships are very quiet after 10PM (a plus for me), but it might not be the right fit for others looking for more activities onboard.

DCL strengths:
General atmosphere and ambiance; entertainment, stateroom quality, food was slightly better than RCCL/Princess (subjective opinion), Peter the cruise director and the activities hosts (Tisa!) were great. Basically no upselling onboard.

DCL weaknesses:
Most food options close after 6PM; buffet closes early and could use more variety; service was good but Disney markets itself as offering a “magical” voyage and I felt like it didn’t always meet that mark. WiFi seemed slower / more unreliable than other cruise lines. Embarkation could have used better communication and organization.

I hope to sail DCL again and perhaps try the Disney Dream when it takes over the European itineraries from the Magic starting next summer.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below and I’ll try to answer.

Love this write up. Glad you have been able to experience DCL. We have only ever cruised Disney but would like to try Royal Caribbean just for comparison. We will see if we do. This was simply an amazing cruise that I will remember so fondly.

Thanks for the detailed review! A friend of mine is trying to convince myself and our other friend to book RCL for an adults-only trip, so it was interesting to hear your perspective as cruisers who didn't bring kids. I would feel a bit guilty sailing DCL without my kids, but RCL really doesn't appeal to me for the reasons you mentioned.

Hi everyone,
I recently got off the 9 night Italy/Greece June 27 - July 6 voyage on the Disney Magic and am posting my thoughts here, especially from the perspective of someone who has never sailed DCL before. Prior to my voyage, I spent lots of time on the DIS and CruiseCritic boards reading about DCL and how it compares with other lines. I hope this helps anyone who's on the fence of whether Disney is worth trying, especially given their fares are easily 2-3x higher than other cruise lines.

About me and my traveling party:
Childless couple in mid-30s/40s. Previously sailed on Royal Caribbean (Allure of the Seas; 7 night Caribbean in 2017) and Princess (Regal Princess; 9 night N. Europe in 2018).

Ports of call:
Rome (Civitavecchia), Katakolon (Olympia), Heraklion, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples

Overall I had a great time, and I would happily sail with Disney again. Whether it's worth the premium is of course subjective. The atmosphere onboard DCL is nice— I loved the nautical, 1930s ocean liner feel. I liked the light Disney touches and theming throughout. There was none of the aggressive upselling that we experienced on Royal Caribbean. The food on DCL was slightly better (with the exception of Cabanas). Entertainment was, not surprisingly, excellent. That said, I’m not sure if it was due to Covid, but I was expecting more of a “Disney Difference” in the service, but instead it felt very similar to other cruise lines, with the exception of a couple really outstanding cast members. I also felt like there were more maintenance and attention to detail issues than I would have expected from Disney, but this might have been due to the newness of the crew onboard.

Embarkation in Rome
This was a disaster and a big black eye for Disney. It took 2.5 hours from start to finish. When we arrived at 1:30 there was a huge line that wrapped around the terminal. It was so backed up that Port Arrival Times weren’t being enforced.

The biggest problem was that the Rome port personnel and the Prenetics COVID testing people were poorly trained. The Prenetics people who ran the Covid testing were bored and clearly didn’t like their jobs and didn’t tell us anything about what to expect next (i.e., you had to go upstairs and wait until you get an email with your test results). I was expecting to get an email with my results in 20 mins, instead we had to wait in the terminal over an hour with total chaos, broken down WiFi, no power outlets, no water, no Disney personnel anywhere to tell us what was going on, and many confused passengers milling about. The WiFi in the terminal couldn’t handle 2,000 people checking their email simultaneously for their test results. I was lucky that occasionally I could get some 3G cell signal if I held up my phone, but it didn’t work most of the time and drained my battery. The port had set up an alternative WiFi network and had hastily scribbled the password on a piece of paper and taped it to the wall without any explanation that it was the WiFi password. Plus, this alternative WiFi network *ALSO* didn’t work. It took 70 minutes for us to get our test results; there were others in our cruise Facebook group who waited two hours only to find that Prenetics lost their test results. Because embarkation took so long, by the time we got onboard Cabanas was closed already.

I understand that the people who work at the port terminal are not Disney employees, even though they were wearing Disney neckties and scarves. However, I was surprised there were no DCL managers or anyone trying to take charge of the situation, or at the very least making announcements telling everyone that test results were delayed, or at the very least providing service recovery by providing water. Embarkation was not up to Disney standards and this was not a good first impression. Thankfully, things improved once we got onboard!

Ship impressions
Despite the disastrous embarkation, first impressions stepping onboard were great. I liked how they announce your family name when you step into the atrium. The Disney Magic is beautiful and I love the nostalgic ocean liner feel of the ship, as opposed to the neon / mall like glitziness of a RCCL ship. The Magic is showing its age in some spots if you look carefully enough (rust spots, flaking paint, etc.), but for the most part the ship feels well maintained. The A/C was broken in the forward elevator lobby on decks 6 and 7 and remained broken for the first half of the voyage until I reported it to Guest Services, after which it was promptly fixed. I’m surprised no other crew reported it as it was noticeably hot in the lobby.

Stateroom (Category 9A oceanview on Deck 6, starboard)
Overall the stateroom was in very good condition. It’s showing some wear and tear in some areas. The room is noticeably larger than the typical stateroom on Royal Caribbean or Princess. The split bathrooms are a godsend. The bed was extremely comfortable and the Frette linens were a nice touch. I liked the privacy curtain dividing the couch area from the bed, which is not something you’ll find on other cruise lines. The A/C worked ok, but I felt like the room was a bit on the warm side. Also, the A/C dripped water onto the carpet sometimes.

The room was quiet, with no noisy neighbors on either side of us (we had noisy neighbors from hell on our last Princess cruise). Note that you absolutely can hear the thrusters when docking each morning in port and it will wake you up. If you’re a deep sleeper it might not bother you, but in the future I would probably pick a verandah stateroom midship because we’re sensitive to noise.

Our stateroom host was exceptional and had been with DCL for 10 years. His towel animals were incredible ! He was from Indonesia and was very personable and efficient. I noticed that the crew on DCL tend to a bit friendlier and more willing to chat than the crew on other lines.

I read that Princess has recently been cutting back by getting rid of nightly turndown service and chocolates on the pillow. I'm glad DCL is still keeping up the tradition.

Food
I read lots of threads and reviews comparing DCL with other cruise line food, and so I was eager to judge for myself. Overall I’d say in the main dining rooms, DCL food can be hit or miss but it’s generally a step up from RCCL and Princess. I remember on Royal, we had spongy watery prime rib, whereas the prime rib and steaks on Disney were higher quality. Royal Caribbean food tends to be on the simpler side whereas DCL is aiming to be a bit fancier; whereas on Princess, there was more variety of options than DCL, however, the food just wasn’t executed very well on Princess.

I had a few entrees on Disney that were surprisingly good and even rivaled food in a restaurant on land (for example, the Crispy Roasted Duck or Lamb Shank in Lumiere’s, and the sirloin steak on the Let the Magic Begin menu in Animator’s Palate was shockingly good). Desserts however tended to be disappointing. I was surprised because Disney has 50 years of experience creating desserts in their parks.

That said, the buffet food in Cabanas was just not that great. There just wasn’t much variety from day-to-day, and the meats were often overcooked. It isn’t fair though to compare it to the buffets on Allure of the Seas and Regal Princess, which are much larger and newer. I think Cabanas could use a reimagining in the near future, as it seems cramped and dated compared to the competition. Also, Cabanas closed way too early at 2PM. We’d often rush back from our excursions and would miss out on lunch. Buffets on other cruise lines are often open most of the day, sometimes until midnight. The crab claws in Cabanas were a nice touch though.

We didn’t try Palo; but we hope to next time.

Quick service options were excellent. I liked how clean and efficient Duck-In Diner was. You place your order and you get your food almost immediately. On Regal Princess, it was an agonizingly slow wait to get a burger, which ended up being such a hassle that I didn’t bother going there anymore. And on Allure of the Seas, their quick service place was a mess with fries and ketchup and food all over the floor and they were always running out of food.

Dining Rooms and Dining Service
Dining Rooms - There’s simply no comparison here to other other cruise lines. Disney really knows how to make your dinner special. Animator’s Palate (both shows) was my favorite. I got goosebumps from the “Drawn to the Magic” show in Animator’s with the stirring music and the walls changing color and Sorcerer Mickey's grand entrance. I could watch that show over and over again. Rapunzel’s was fun, though you should watch the movie to fully appreciate it. And Lumiere’s still looks good, if a bit dated.

Service— There was absolutely nothing wrong with our servers, but they didn’t feel particularly “Disney”. They felt similar to the the servers we had on Royal or Princess. Our server was brisk and efficient and had been with DCL for 5 years. Our assistant server was on his first contract with DCL and had previously been with Holland America. There were some moments where service was slow, but it might have been due to backups in the kitchen. Also, our serving team had 4 tables (14 heads), which might have slowed them down. That said, they got our food and drink orders 100% correct each time and there were no service mistakes or issues.

Entertainment
This is again where Disney shines, as expected. The variety acts (juggler and ventriloquist, and Hector is Magic) were generally a step up from variety acts on Royal / Princess. In terms of Broadway style shows, Tangled and Twice Charmed were excellent. Disney Dreams was a bit hokey, but who doesn’t love a good medley of Disney songs? I wasn’t a fan of Once Upon a Song.

Weirdly enough, there was no Welcome Aboard show the first night. Is this normal for DCL? The theater was also dark one of the other nights.

Here is a schedule of the shows I took on embarkation:
View attachment 683661

I was excited to find out Tisa was onboard our cruise, and she didn’t disappoint! We attended Match Your Mate and she had the entire room laughing in tears. Tisa is a gem.

Our cruise director was Peter, who struck the perfect balance between getting passengers excited for the daily activities without being obnoxious.

Pirate Night was fun though there were no fireworks, supposedly to the Greek restrictions. There was a Pirate Night buffet at Cabanas; however, there were no special fruit carvings like I’d seen online (did DCL lose those crew members due to COVID?) Also, there were no turkey legs, instead they were chicken drumsticks.

Ports of Call and Port Adventures
It was very, very crowded and hot in Italy/Greece, but we had an awesome time. We took two Port Adventures— Ancient Olympia in Katakolon (Adult Only Departure), and Knossos and the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion (Adult Only Departure), and I thought the Port Adventures were organized well. The quality of the local tour guides is always a bit hit or miss, but overall we enjoyed the convenience and comfort of the Port Adventures. We explored our own in the other ports.

Passengers
There were 1,828 passengers aboard the Magic (according to the iPad I snuck a peek at on the gangway). The ship did not feel crowded, especially in contrast to our time on Allure of the Seas where you felt like you were just a number and it was a constant fight to get seats in the theater, reservations were required for any activities on Allure, and pools and hot tubs were jam packed. The Quiet Cove adult area on the Magic would get busy but never overflowing with people, and it wasn’t hard to find a time when the whirlpools and pools were empty. It also didn’t feel like there were a ton of kids onboard, and the kids onboard seemed well behaved, with none of packs of kids/teenagers running up and down the halls like we had on Royal Caribbean.

The atmosphere onboard DCL feels more relaxed, and the passengers are in a good mood and are more polite to each other. This was one of my favorite parts of DCL— there is a culture of everyone trying to have a magical time. On Allure of the Seas, I recall running into crew who were in a bad mood and also passengers yelling at each other for saving seats in the theater, etc. Also worth mentioning, there were definitely fewer smokers on DCL.

Crew, Service, and Upkeep
Everyone onboard was helpful and we didn’t have any issues with the service; however, the average crew member onboard the Magic didn’t feel exceptionally different from a crew member you’d find on Royal or Princess. Our assistant server did mention that half of the crew on the ship were on their first contract with Disney. I’m not sure if that’s an exaggeration, but it’s possible a lot of them are still “earning their ears” and learning the Disney way of doing things. He also mentioned that DCL had cut their vacations from 8 weeks down to 7, so it seems like there are some staffing issues with Covid still rampaging through the ships and with experienced crew being poached for the Wish.

There were some little “attention to detail” issues I noticed during the cruise that were no biggie. However, Disney holds itself to higher standards, so I’ll mention them. For example, the soda machines were sometimes broken and ran out of ice often. In the gym, the pitcher of cold water and the paper cups would run out with no one refilling it. For some reason, there was a long line in the hot sun to get on the tenders back to the ship in Santorini and no cold towels or water were offered, whereas the nearby Norwegian Jade had no line and was offering cold towels to their passengers.

That said, the ship was spotlessly clean. And it was impressive to watch the crew in port constantly touching up the Magic’s beautiful paint and cleaning the windows, whereas the ships from competitor lines looked like rust buckets by comparison.

Environment
I like how DCL is the highest ranked cruise line on the Friends of Earth report card, especially for voluntarily using low sulfur fuel to reduce air pollution even when they’re not required to by law. I noticed this in ports. In Santorini we were anchored next to the Norwegian Jade, which was belching out acrid clouds of dirty smoke from its smokestack all day, whereas the Magic’s smokestack was clean as a whistle.

Not a good look for the Jade:
View attachment 683669

Overall Thoughts on DCL vs. Royal Caribbean and Princess:

Overall I would give DCL a 4.25 out of 5, and I would absolutely prefer to sail with DCL over other cruise lines. Royal Caribbean has many more activities on their ships, but DCL offers a more relaxed and classy vibe that some families might prefer over the more frenetic atmosphere on Royal. Also, I like how there is basically no upselling on DCL. On Royal (and to a lesser extent on Princess), you’re constantly dodging poor crew members pitching drinks packages, specialty restaurant offers, and so forth. I’ll never forget that on Allure of the Seas, during the ice skating show they turned the rink into a Monopoly board and had their ice skaters land on “Giovanni’s Table” as a way of pitching their specialty restaurants 🙄. Royal’s ships are big and innovative with lots of activities, and they do lots of things well, but I felt like I was living in a commercial onboard their ships. On DCL, there is blissfully none of that other than photographers offering to take your picture.

On the other hand, DCL is not perfect, especially given the prices they charge, and I’ve outlined a couple things here where I think they could do better. I’m not sure if the crew we had was newer than normal due to Covid or some of them being moved over to the Wish. Also, another thing to consider is that DCL ships are very quiet after 10PM (a plus for me), but it might not be the right fit for others looking for more activities onboard.

DCL strengths:
General atmosphere and ambiance; entertainment, stateroom quality, food was slightly better than RCCL/Princess (subjective opinion), Peter the cruise director and the activities hosts (Tisa!) were great. Basically no upselling onboard.

DCL weaknesses:
Most food options close after 6PM; buffet closes early and could use more variety; service was good but Disney markets itself as offering a “magical” voyage and I felt like it didn’t always meet that mark. WiFi seemed slower / more unreliable than other cruise lines. Embarkation could have used better communication and organization.

I hope to sail DCL again and perhaps try the Disney Dream when it takes over the European itineraries from the Magic starting next summer.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below and I’ll try to answer.

Fantastic review! It's so nice hearing the perspective of a first time DCL customer who has sailed other lines.

We were on the 8-night Italy/Greece cruise a few weeks back and had many similar experiences. For us, it was an absolutely amazing trip - actually the best we have ever taken. I think we had a little more luck with the ports not being too hot yet and the crowds in port not at peak yet either. But getting on the ship in Santorini was surprisingly slow - seemingly much much slower than other ship (only two in port for most of the day, including DCL). It was a very long hot wait. But, unlike your experience, DCL was offering cold towels and cold water. The other cruise line was not doing the same.

We also didn't have a show on embarkation day, which seemed odd to me. My other two DCL cruises had something that first night.

By far, the poorest part of experience was also the embarkation process. I chalked it up to it being the first Rome departure with testing and thought they would iron out the kinks, but it doesn't sound like they fixed a single problem since we went a few weeks ago. It was unbelievable how unprepared the staff was to answer very basic questions, and like you said, nobody was giving us information on what to expect. We didn't even know how we would get the results, and nobody could tell us in the waiting area. I just happened to get enough of a connection to see that they had emailed us. The only difference for us was that it only took 20 minutes to get the results (but we were also some of the very first to board - they were enforcing boarding times when we arrived). I was so ecstatic to pass testing, that I quickly forgot how back the process was.

Glad you liked DCL overall. Except for sailing RC three decades ago, it is the only line I have tried. I have had a hard time wanting to try different lines when I found something I like so much. The style of the ships. cleanliness, no casino/smoking, and more simplified vacation style works really well for me. I also like the lack of upselling (though I keep reading conflicting reports about how bad it is on other lines). We will try other lines soon, but keeping coming back to DCL since I know I won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Fantastic review! It's so nice hearing the perspective of a first time DCL customer who has sailed other lines.

We were on the 8-night Italy/Greece cruise a few weeks back and had many similar experiences. For us, it was an absolutely amazing trip - actually the best we have ever taken. I think we had a little more luck with the ports not being too hot yet and the crowds in port not at peak yet either. But getting on the ship in Santorini was surprisingly slow - seemingly much much slower than other ship (only two in port for most of the day, including DCL). It was a very long hot wait. But, unlike your experience, DCL was offering cold towels and cold water. The other cruise line was not doing the same.

We also didn't have a show on embarkation day, which seemed odd to me. My other two DCL cruises had something that first night.

By far, the poorest part of experience was also the embarkation process. I chalked it up to it being the first Rome departure with testing and thought they would iron out the kinks, but it doesn't sound like they fixed a single problem since we went a few weeks ago. It was unbelievable how unprepared the staff was to answer very basic questions, and like you said, nobody was giving us information on what to expect. We didn't even know how we would get the results, and nobody could tell us in the waiting area. I just happened to get enough of a connection to see that they had emailed us. The only difference for us was that it only took 20 minutes to get the results (but we were also some of the very first to board - they were enforcing boarding times when we arrived). I was so ecstatic to pass testing, that I quickly forgot how back the process was.

Glad you liked DCL overall. Except for sailing RC three decades ago, it is the only line I have tried. I have had a hard time wanting to try different lines when I found something I like so much. The style of the ships. cleanliness, no casino/smoking, and more simplified vacation style works really well for me. I also like the lack of upselling (though I keep reading conflicting reports about how bad it is on other lines). We will try other lines soon, but keeping coming back to DCL since I know I won't be disappointed.

That's fascinating.. I did read somewhere (it may have been your post or somewhere else) that embarkation wasn't smooth either on the first few Mediterranean cruises this season. I thought though, like you, that they would have fixed it.

And yes, I think compared to other lines, DCL is nicer. I had a great time on my RCCL cruise, but after a while, dodging all the upselling and fighting for space becomes tiring. It's also true that DCL is expensive for what you get, but that's just the price of admission I guess to have a less crowded ship and more relaxed vibe. I have some family members though who don't mind the upselling and they treat it as a sport to see how much they can get through the cruise without paying for extras :-).

We were on your cruise as well and I think your review is pretty spot on. I will say that we did get cold towels waiting on the tender in Santorini, though.

Embarkation was a complete mess and nowhere near as smooth as our October sailing on the Magic out of Miami. There, they would have a TV screen that would put your reservation number up when you were clear to sail. Much easier than that e-mail fiasco Prenetics was trying to do.

Also, we were forward on deck 6 and didn’t notice the elevator lobby being hot. I will also agree that the food seemed a step up this cruise and was very enjoyable. As to the desserts, I thought they were pretty good, but I usually just order the Mickey Bar, so there’s that :)

We have sailed a number of different lines and I think you do start to get a good feel at how each line does things differently. For instance, on Royal, the included food options on our Oasis cruise just weren't great. I also think RCCL relies on the “bells and whistles” too much. There’s a lot of things to do on deck, but if you aren’t into rock climbing/flow riding/skydiving, etc, we found that they lacked regular “show” activities compared to other lines and we were actually bored. I will say that the Aqua80 show was amazing, but the train wreck that is Cats took away any positives there :)

On the other hand, we loved the Regal Princess. I think it may have our favorite buffet of any ship we’ve sailed. Also, we felt it had great included food options, especially Alfredo’s and the International Cafe (which is SO much better than Royal’s Promenade Cafe…). Also, Princess, we felt, does so many “small scale” entertainment things well like game shows, trivia, and tons of live music. We have sailed Regal Princess twice and wouldn’t hesitate to go back on…

All that said. I think that the Magic is my favorite cruise ship. It’s just the right size and has a great mix of small ship feel, but still with plenty of activities. You really notice it on days like Mykonos, when we were the only ship in port. It was such a great day because it wasn’t crowded. Not like Santorini, which was great in the morning, but when NCL Escape (5,500 pax) got there around 1pm, you could feel the crowds. Since you haven’t sailed DCL before, I will also mention that if you do a Caribbean or Bahamas itinerary with DCL, you notice this on Castaway Cay quite a bit. On the Magic and Wonder, there are much less crowds than the Dream or Fantasy.

Glad you enjoyed the trip! It was one of, if not our favorite cruises we’ve done to date!

We were on your cruise as well and I think your review is pretty spot on. I will say that we did get cold towels waiting on the tender in Santorini, though.

Embarkation was a complete mess and nowhere near as smooth as our October sailing on the Magic out of Miami. There, they would have a TV screen that would put your reservation number up when you were clear to sail. Much easier than that e-mail fiasco Prenetics was trying to do.

Also, we were forward on deck 6 and didn’t notice the elevator lobby being hot. I will also agree that the food seemed a step up this cruise and was very enjoyable. As to the desserts, I thought they were pretty good, but I usually just order the Mickey Bar, so there’s that :)

We have sailed a number of different lines and I think you do start to get a good feel at how each line does things differently. For instance, on Royal, the included food options on our Oasis cruise just weren't great. I also think RCCL relies on the “bells and whistles” too much. There’s a lot of things to do on deck, but if you aren’t into rock climbing/flow riding/skydiving, etc, we found that they lacked regular “show” activities compared to other lines and we were actually bored. I will say that the Aqua80 show was amazing, but the train wreck that is Cats took away any positives there :)

On the other hand, we loved the Regal Princess. I think it may have our favorite buffet of any ship we’ve sailed. Also, we felt it had great included food options, especially Alfredo’s and the International Cafe (which is SO much better than Royal’s Promenade Cafe…). Also, Princess, we felt, does so many “small scale” entertainment things well like game shows, trivia, and tons of live music. We have sailed Regal Princess twice and wouldn’t hesitate to go back on…

All that said. I think that the Magic is my favorite cruise ship. It’s just the right size and has a great mix of small ship feel, but still with plenty of activities. You really notice it on days like Mykonos, when we were the only ship in port. It was such a great day because it wasn’t crowded. Not like Santorini, which was great in the morning, but when NCL Escape (5,500 pax) got there around 1pm, you could feel the crowds. Since you haven’t sailed DCL before, I will also mention that if you do a Caribbean or Bahamas itinerary with DCL, you notice this on Castaway Cay quite a bit. On the Magic and Wonder, there are much less crowds than the Dream or Fantasy.

Glad you enjoyed the trip! It was one of, if not our favorite cruises we’ve done to date!

On the cruise a couple weeks before yours, one of the shop owners at Santorini told us that they were expecting seven ships the next day! We only had two and it was somewhat busy. I can't imagine. Disney had shuffled our stop there around, which was great that they were looking out for a less busy day.

On the cruise a couple weeks before yours, one of the shop owners at Santorini told us that they were expecting seven ships the next day! We only had two and it was somewhat busy. I can't imagine. Disney had shuffled our stop there around, which was great that they were looking out for a less busy day.
We swapped Piraeus and Santorini days as well. Not sure why…

I guess we just hit it lucky in Santorini. The crowds seemed manageable to me although I heard the funicular line was absurd later in the afternoon. I do think my feet still hurt from all the climbing but that view was so worth it!!!

That's awesome you were on the same sailing as well and hope you had a good time!

I guess they just ran out of the cold towels for us on Santorini. We went back to the ship around 4PM. I also wasn't a huge fan of the tiny, cramped tender we were packed into heading back. In the morning there was a nice big tender with an open top that was nice.

What was your take on the dining service and just service in general on this sailing? Similar to other DCL cruises you've taken?

Also that's cool that you've sailed the Oasis class on Royal and also the Regal Princess, so you have a similar basis for comparison as I did. I agree that the buffet on the Regal Princess is its strong point. Cabanas just seems tiny by comparison. I don't mind, because I liked many other aspects of DCL, but other members of my family who aren't Disney fans and who are purely food and buffet-focused might've preferred Regal Princess. That said, I do think the atmosphere on Regal Princess was similar to DCL in that it's more relaxed and not the overly reliant on bells-and-whistles you described for the Oasis class on Royal.

I have to also agree that the Magic just big enough without feeling crowded. On Allure it really was suffocatingly crowded, like being at Disney World in peak season, while, I guess ironically, on the Magic I never felt like I was at Disney World. If we do a European sailing on the Dream next season (perhaps the Iceland itinerary) then I'd be really interested in comparing how crowded the Dream class feels versus the Magic.

One of your weaknesses included the earlier closing of many food locations, which I can see, for sure. You didn’t mention the complimentary room service, though, which I think is another strength of DCL!
Many cruise lines have complimentary room service, including Princess. The addition of charges for late-night deliveries was instituted on some lines recently because some people were ordering silly amounts of food late at night and/or not awake when it arrived. On Celebrity, for example, there's a $4.95 fee for food between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. No charge for that 3 o'clock burger you need because the buffet's closed and you just got back from an excursion.

Many cruise lines have complimentary room service, including Princess. The addition of charges for late-night deliveries was instituted on some lines recently because some people were ordering silly amounts of food late at night and/or not awake when it arrived. On Celebrity, for example, there's a $4.95 fee for food between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. No charge for that 3 o'clock burger you need because the buffet's closed and you just got back from an excursion.
I didn't mean to imply that others don't. The OP was just listing strengths and weaknesses they found on the DCL trip and I would list complimentary room services as a strength. We rarely get it because we find the other options to be ample for us. I've never been hungry on a cruise, that's for sure!
I also wouldn't agree that the quick service options close too early...we often have first dinner around 4 pm since we do late dining and I've never had a problem finding a good snack around, even if Cabana's is closed.

I just wished we would have used room service more. Usually, I order coffee and cookies before bed. Coffee stays hot for the morning on the balcony. We were just too wiped out to order. Sign of a good vacation I suppose.

Before Covid we had a few experiences embarking onto the magic out of NY and I was less than happy with the embarkment process which I understand was out of the control of Disney. My issues out of the NY port was primarily with parking and having to drag our luggage from the roof parking down to the lower level where check in was. There was no comparison with embarking from Port Canaveral.

Many cruise lines have complimentary room service, including Princess. The addition of charges for late-night deliveries was instituted on some lines recently because some people were ordering silly amounts of food late at night and/or not awake when it arrived. On Celebrity, for example, there's a $4.95 fee for food between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. No charge for that 3 o'clock burger you need because the buffet's closed and you just got back from an
I just wished we would have used room service more. Usually, I order coffee and cookies before bed. Coffee stays hot for the morning on the balcony. We were just too wiped out to order. Sign of a good vacation I suppose.
Same! I always have it on my list and I’m always too full, too tired, or too occupied with some other activity. A good problem to have, I guess!

We were there on the June 18th sailing and there were 7 ships on Santorini day. It was absolutely nuts.

We were there on the June 18th sailing and there were 7 ships on Santorini day. It was absolutely nuts.
Wow. How was the line getting onto the lift to come back to the ship? I was pretty long with only the two sips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter