DCL views pulling out of San Juan

dtk07

Mouseketeer
We are doing a Magic cruise out of San Juan in Nov.

Does anyone know the typical route the ships take out of San Juan? I'm curious if the ship is going to give us water views of the forts. I'd love to get some great pictures pulling out if San Juan if we get the chance. Next stop is St Kitts if it makes a difference.

Here are the photos I took pulling out of San Juan. I'm not sure why, they're in reverse order. The bottom three were when we first started pulling out. The top two are headed further out (which is why the lighting changed since the sun had started to set by then).

IMG_2548.jpgIMG_2549.jpgIMG_8350.jpgIMG_8352.jpgIMG_8353.jpg

Only one way out .... main cruise berths shown

make way to the channel and follow the red line

Forts will be on the right - to starboard . . .

enhance

Wow, both of your posts provide perfect factual information, thank you. Looks like the western edge of Old San Juan should be pretty well in view.

Would the northern shore with Garita del Diablo be visible as we start southeast towards St Kitts or would we head further out to sea before heading towards St Kitts?

the 'pilot station' is three miles off shore so I suspect the turn will not be made before that time

IMO it is prudent to go further out ... at least 5 and maybe even 10 miles for navigational safety

The ship must clear Cabo San Juan at the NE tip of PR so no sense in staying in close .... I've sailed/patrolled this area many times ....

but there are no rules or traffic lanes here so best answer is: dunno ... maybe ... depends on visibility ....

the 'pilot station' is three miles off shore so I suspect the turn will not be made before that time

IMO it is prudent to go further out ... at least 5 and maybe even 10 miles for navigational safety

The ship must clear Cabo San Juan at the NE tip of PR so no sense in staying in close .... I've sailed/patrolled this area many times ....

but there are no rules or traffic lanes here so best answer is: dunno ... maybe ... depends on visibility ....

I'm impressed with your level of knowledge, thank you. Makes perfect sense based on the amount of variables.

Disney typically departs from the Pan American Pier so the diagram above isn't quite right. Those berths in the diagram are generally when cruises are just there for the day. The Pan American pier actually on Isla Grande, a little further to the east than the red circle in that diagram. I've taken a screenshot from maps, which I'll attach.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 4.40.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 4.40.07 PM.png
    376 KB · Views: 9

really

are you going to question one who has been in both the navigator and Captain's chair in this port?

enhance

didn't my post say "main cruise berths / piers"

Got another way out???? SHOW ME!

We are doing a Magic cruise out of San Juan in Nov.

Does anyone know the typical route the ships take out of San Juan? I'm curious if the ship is going to give us water views of the forts. I'd love to get some great pictures pulling out if San Juan if we get the chance. Next stop is St Kitts if it makes a difference.

Glad I open this and read your actual post. When I first saw the title, I was concerned Disney was thinking about not sailing from San Juan anymore!

really

are you going to question one who has been in both the navigator and Captain's chair in this port?

enhance

didn't my post say "main cruise berths / piers"

Got another way out???? SHOW ME!

I wanted to make sure the OP was clear on where they would be leaving from. Like where to go that morning. There is often confusion and since you said "main cruise port" I wanted to clarify the one where Disney embarks from. Someone from our cruise meet group was literally at the wrong pier embarkation day!

Yes, I realize they take the same route out. I wasn't questioning you or your vast knowledge and experience. Just clarifying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter