DCL insurance cost

mmcxiiad

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Just booked another trip today and planning on buying through a "in sure my trip", but just out of curiosity what is the cost of insurance directly though Disney? I no longer see that on their site so I am assuming it is based on the trip.... not a flat amount based on the number of days like it used to be.

It is 8% of trip cost per person. They have pretty good coverage, just doesn't cover airfare etc.

thanks - we are driving so airfare doesn't matter.

It seems that direct insurance about 2x the price of a plan through several other providers. The only big advantage I see it has is 75% coverage of cancel for any reason. That aside, it just appears to be more $$$.

When I compared, direct DCL insurance also had higher coverages for lost luggage, medical evac, medical problems, etc. I don't have the specific numbers in front of me, but could get them if needed. If you aren't flying, that is a plus. What primarily, do you need the coverage for: cancellation? medical needs? lost luggage? Keep in mind that a lot of credit cards cover things like lost luggage, and some health insurances cover outside the US and while on travel.

We've used 3rd party insurance at notable savings the last two times.

I would be curious what "notable savings" are because I looked and there was about $75 difference between DCL and the lowest price one that came up on insure my trip. I am seriously curious here, not being snarky. It is hard to denote the right tone in print. :) My problem was seeing the coverage amounts and DCL did have higher coverages on a few things. All of it is overwhelming because there is so much out there, you just have to pin down what is the most important aspect of the insurance you want and go from there.

If you don't use Disney you can pick how much coverage you want in terms of cost. I can change my flights and hotel reservations at minimal cost. So I only set a dollar amount to cover things I can't easily cancel. Even if your trip is costing $6000, you can just insure for $4000 if you want. The PRIMARY REASON I get it is for medical evacuation to get me back to the states where I have health insurance. Some countries are simply not equipped to handle some types of injuries.

Question for Disney Insurance . . . you said you were driving to the port. IF you had an accident while driving to the ship, would the Disney insurance cover you missing the cruise? I can't remember?

I also use insure site to choose how much or little I want. I find the best to fit our party size. Sometimes it’s just the 2 of us and other times we are 2 families traveling together.

I would be curious what "notable savings" are because I looked and there was about $75 difference between DCL and the lowest price one that came up on insure my trip. I am seriously curious here, not being snarky. It is hard to denote the right tone in print. :) My problem was seeing the coverage amounts and DCL did have higher coverages on a few things. All of it is overwhelming because there is so much out there, you just have to pin down what is the most important aspect of the insurance you want and go from there.

We saved about 33-40% using Nationwide Cruise Choice over Disney for our upcoming March, 2018 cruise. To be fair, the policies may not be completely apples to apples, I use an insurance finder to get a plan with the coverages we want/need and compare it to Disney's price. There are typically some offsets (puts and takes) between the two, but I've yet to find a plan that covers what I need that comes close to Disney's price. We don't book our travel through Disney, so 3rd party offers a bit more security on air travel disruptions.

Question for Disney Insurance . . . you said you were driving to the port. IF you had an accident while driving to the ship, would the Disney insurance cover you missing the cruise? I can't remember?

Yes, according to the DCL insurance info, it would be covered: If You are delayed while en route to, during or returning from Your Trip due to a covered Travel Hazard, We will reimburse You up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the expenses You incur for Your Additional Transportation Cost to join the departed Trip, Your prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements, and/or additional hotel nights, meals, telephone calls and economy transportation while You are delayed
The covered travel hazards includes accidents and weather.

We saved about 33-40% using Nationwide Cruise Choice over Disney for our upcoming March, 2018 cruise. To be fair, the policies may not be completely apples to apples, I use an insurance finder to get a plan with the coverages we want/need and compare it to Disney's price. There are typically some offsets (puts and takes) between the two, but I've yet to find a plan that covers what I need that comes close to Disney's price. We don't book our travel through Disney, so 3rd party offers a bit more security on air travel disruptions.

I would call that notable savings. :) Nationwide Cruise Choice was one of the ones I was comparing and they did not offer as much travel protection for cancellation or trip delay and the medical evac and repatriation amount was more ($30k) on DCL. But like you said, it probably isn't apples to apples, so not sure I could have done better, glad you did. We don't book our travel through Disney either, but our cc covers loss there. Thanks for the info!

I get higher coverage at lower cost via USAA's partnership with Travel Insured International.

The insurance through Disney is very expensive and the coverage is not as good as you can get from other companies. I use Allianz which is the AAA preferred travel insurance company. What you need to look for in a travel insurance when leaving the country is what they cover for emergency medical and medical evac. Disney's insurance coverage is very low there. They only do "up to $30,000 medical evac and up to $10,000 medical". I can get a $250,000 evac and $50,000 medical coverage for around $80 and kids are included free. I personally do not worry about getting all of my money back if something happens, that money is gone and spent anyway. My main concern is what if something happens, that is the big expense. Something like a serious injury or medical emergency when you are out of the country can bankrupt you. A few grand to pay for the trip is nothing compared to that.

The insurance through Disney is very expensive and the coverage is not as good as you can get from other companies. I use Allianz which is the AAA preferred travel insurance company. What you need to look for in a travel insurance when leaving the country is what they cover for emergency medical and medical evac. Disney's insurance coverage is very low there. They only do "up to $30,000 medical evac and up to $10,000 medical". I can get a $250,000 evac and $50,000 medical coverage for around $80 and kids are included free. I personally do not worry about getting all of my money back if something happens, that money is gone and spent anyway. My main concern is what if something happens, that is the big expense. Something like a serious injury or medical emergency when you are out of the country can bankrupt you. A few grand to pay for the trip is nothing compared to that.

I have used them as well. What I liked is that my (adult) sister was able to call them, explain our concerns and desires and they could explain to us exactly which coverages included the things we were interested in. That way we felt like we were only paying for what we wanted. We booked it right away so that it covered preexisting conditions, but then went back and added in other non-refundable things later as we made additional plans. I think the cost was more like 3% of the trip, but of course it depends on what you are looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!