DCL cost vs. other cruise lines

The aft elevators are only 8 doors down form the handicap access cabins. I chatted with a gentleman in a wheelchair in one of those cabins, and he was pleased how close the elevators were.
Look at the deck plans! We were in #6654 at the very back of the ship. There are 17 balcony cabins between ours and the elevators. If the man you talked to had an inside HA cabin - there are only 8 inside cabins plus the HA one at the back of the ship - but there's a large service area between the first aft cabin and the elevators/stairs. There are 13 balcony cabins between the inside HA cabin and the aft elevators. It's a long hallway to navigate in a wheelchair, especially when housekeeping carts are there twice a day.

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/deck6.htm

reading all your post between this thread and the one you start about the baltic 2010. it seem nothing dlc can do make you happy. i suggest you just sail with the cruise line that you are happiest with

We cruise both Celebrity and DCL. We love them both for different reasons. Like comparing apples to oranges ( we are kidless, so that does make a difference). We have cruised DCL ONLY when we get a great rate, otherwise, Celebrity.

We just booked a 5 night on Celebrity. In a Royal Suite, 500+ square feet, sep bedroom, 2 40" LCD tvs, stereo system, butler, 130 ft balcony, for $999 per person. I cannot imagine what this would cost on DCL. I love DCL, but I will not pay high prices to sail on them, they are not that wonderful!

For us, it is worth the higher price.

We have cruise, with kids, Carnival (no interest in repeating), and Royal Caribbean (prefer Disney but we would, and actual we are, going to cruise with them again).

Here is a list of some of the Disney differences that we feel make DCL our #1 choice:

1) The staff is extremely friendly. RCI staff did their job, but nobody went out of their way to chat or seemed remotely interested in making any sort of connection with you. We enjoy getting to know the staff on DCL. My kids look forward to seeing any staff members that may be there from a previous cruise..and they remember the kids (we are onboard now and Marc walked up to my DH on the first day and said, "Andrew's Dad?"). On DCL, every staff member that walks by you says hello. Many of them stop and chat. That just didn't happen on RCI. We are very outgoing and social people (even our kids) and we found this to be a huge difference.

2) Disney does the little things better. They are just so organized and efficient. It's hard to explain until you go on another line. One small thing...RCI, you rent your towel. You must keep track of that towel (the same towel that everyone else has) for the entire cruise and if you do not turn in that towel, you are charged $20. Now...try to get 7 people to keep track of their towels for a week. My 11 yr old put his towel down on a bench and came back and it was gone (duh...if everyone has the same towel and some dishonest person loses theirs, do you think they won't take yours). It was a BIG pest. There are lots of small things like this. They may not seem like much, but when your juggling a family and lots of activities, these small things make a giant difference over the course of a week.

3) People on here have said that you cannot avoid the kids. Obviously, DCL has kids...lots of kids. Heck, I bring 5 with me. BUT...what I like is that on DCL if you go to an adult only area, it is ADULT ONLY. RCI didn't enforce this at all. Also, I had more problems with kids on the run on RCI (even if there were less kids), than I have ever had on DCL. I'm not saying there weren't any kid problems on DCL...but RCI had many more kids running loose and causing problems. On this note...my kids prefered DCL's kid programming much more than RCI. They said that on RCI they did not feel the councelors did much with them. It was more like group babysitting than fun activities.

4) Castaway Cay...you can't get less stressful beach day (especially with young kids).

5) Still having toddlers..NURSERY!

6) Even with older kids, we like that the DCL kid programming is all day (no breaks). It's not that our kids are in there all day (unless they choose to). It's just that, RCI goes 9-12, 2-5, 7-10 and then pay after 10pm. Well...lets say you sleep in past 9 and then get dressed and have breakfast. Now it's 10:45 or 11am and the kids are ready to go to the clubs. They're closing in 1 hour. Same thing if there is an activity at 2:30pm...the entire afternoon kid's programming is basically lost for you. On DCL you can come and go, at your convenience, all day. This is another one of those small things I mentioned above.

7) Family appropriate entertainment. I don't want to ditch my kids all day. We like to do things together too. RCI didn't really have family shows/activities. They had rock climbing, and the H2O zone (very cool but not really something for adults to do with their kids) and mini golf. They did not have things like the Mickey 200, or Disney trivia, or family appropriate shows, or family dance parties/karaoke/etc.

I'm sure there are more reasons but I'm tired from a long day of fun at sea. Although my 9 and 10 yr old are still having fun at the girl's party in the lab and my 11 yr old is heading back to his age group to go to the arcade. Since tomorrow is another sea day (and we can sleep in), we're letting them have a late night.

Jess

For those of you cruising with young kids, I can absolutely see why DCL is the best fit for you. It would be for me, too - if my kids were young. However, even if DCL were my first choice, I wouldn't pay double to cruise with them during spring break or Christmas. The "you get what you pay for" mantra doesn't apply to higher prices during holiday periods.

Saw this thread and was interested. After reading all the posts, only one thing said was gospel. It was also said to me by a friend who has been on almost all the major cruise lines. Any cruise is better than no cruise.

If you have the money to spend, Disney is a great Cruise and you will have a wonderful time. If you can take advantage of some special pricing even better. But you will also have a wonderful time on most of the other cruise lines ,usually for a lot less money if you shop around . The only caveat is if you have been on DCL, go on one of the newer ships of other cruise lines(built or refurbished in the last 5-6 years) or you will be disapointed.

To those looking at Disney through rose colored glasses,
I love Disney and the DCL but it is also evident that while service expectations are high they are still profit driven and will compromise guest experience for profit. (To be fair, I see that more in the parks than on the DCL).

Disney has definitely the best kids club and kids program but when we were on Carnival and Royal Caribbean our daughter was still just as excited to go to the kids club.

Except for Palo (which was one of the best meals I have eaten anywhere), Food was comparably good on all cruise lines, Disney's was maybe a little better on Entree's and special requests but I was very disapointed with the baked goods and desserts (They looked great but had no flavor)

No matter what cruise you go on you will experience children, some more than others, but if you don't want to deal with kids go to the adult oriented areas and activities. My wife went on her "chick weekend" with 6 friends,no kids, on the Disney cruise and until the last night they barely noticed the kids on board.

Disney's shows and entertainment had mixed reviews. Thank god Hercules is no more. The costuming was horrible and the show was so slow we almost fell asleep. There other production shows were better. But we personally enjoyed the production shows on Carnival better. Also Carnival had a lot more fun daytime games and activities than Disney for adults. Even though we love Disney not every game had to have a Disney theme.

The bottom line is you can have fun on any line and each has their own pro's and cons. If you have sailed mostly on Disney and are the type of person who will spend the entire time on a different line saying " They don't do it like that on the Disney Cruise" and cannot enjoy something on it's own strengths, just keep having a great time on a Disney cruise. But, especially in this economy,if you don't want to pay such high prices, there are some incredible deals on some excellent cruises. Especially if you can get away in Sept., Nov.-Dec. or January.

We just got back from our ist DCL cruise. Feb. 12-15.

We were concerned about the cost over other lines. We have sailed numerous time on HAl, RCI, NCL, Carnival and our fav. (Royal Majesty-went out of business)

We rated this as one of our best cruises ever.
The kids enjoyed the kids program very much.

The food was ok. But, the service, staff and entertainment were excellent.

We had such a great time we rebooked for August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter