DCL Cake Orders

disneyfan888

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever ordered cakes from DCL? Are they good? Were they delivered as requested? Any pictures would be appreciated. Thank you! :thumbsup2

Has anyone ever ordered cakes from DCL? Are they good? Were they delivered as requested? Any pictures would be appreciated. Thank you! :thumbsup2

From what I've read here, the cakes aren't that great. Fairly dry, and you can't specific decorations. And they have a cost. It's probably better to get the "cake of the day" from room service.

I have ordered one for our upcoming trip b/c. Of food allergies . Hope it is ok, will post once we get it.

We ordered one last summer on the Fantasy that came with the package with the room decorations. Room decorations were a big hit but not the cake. It was not that good and by the time we got to our room each day we were too full to eat it. Not that we even had the desire to eat it cause there's SO much food that is SO much better on the ship besides that cake.

We ordered a cake for our cruise next week. Our DS is turns 5 on the ship so we thought it'd be nice for him to have a cake. I can also post pics once I return.

Is cake of the day free?

I have ordered one for our upcoming trip b/c. Of food allergies . Hope it is ok, will post once we get it.

We ordered a cake for our cruise next week. Our DS is turns 5 on the ship so we thought it'd be nice for him to have a cake. I can also post pics once I return.

Thank you, i would appreciate the pictures! :thumbsup2

I am also curious on knowing the answer to the cake of the day ;)

Thank you, i would appreciate the pictures! :thumbsup2

I am also curious on knowing the answer to the cake of the day ;)

It's on the Room Service Menu:
Ask our Stateroom Service Team for the daily cake selection.
Room Service is included in your cruise fare (except for prepackaged snacks and sodas).

Here are a couple of examples. The first one, the round one, is usually the cake they'll bring as part of a "Celebration Package", which would be for a birthday, anniversary, bon voyage. etc....the ones you pre-order and pay far too much for.

The second one is closer to what they used to bring to you at dinner, if you were celebrating a birthday, although this one has the special addition of the Mickey ice cream bar on it.

I've tasted three of DCL's wedding cakes, and three of their vow renewal cakes, and they're pretty good. The fondant on those can be like cutting through cement, but since those cakes are made to order, the day of the ceremony, they're tasty.
I think the other cakes are frozen, and always end up dry and so not worth the money.

DCLcake1.jpg

DCLcake2.jpg

Here are a couple of examples. The first one, the round one, is usually the cake they'll bring as part of a "Celebration Package", which would be for a birthday, anniversary, bon voyage. etc....the ones you pre-order and pay far too much for.

The second one is closer to what they used to bring to you at dinner, if you were celebrating a birthday, although this one has the special addition of the Mickey ice cream bar on it.

I've tasted three of DCL's wedding cakes, and three of their vow renewal cakes, and they're pretty good. The fondant on those can be like cutting through cement, but since those cakes are made to order, the day of the ceremony, they're tasty.
I think the other cakes are frozen, and always end up dry and so not worth the money.

DCLcake1.jpg

DCLcake2.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! the second one looks like one they gave us at dinner because we were celebrating our anniversary. It was not the best tasting cake, but it was still a very nice gesture. I wonder if the special order ones taste different? Perhaps they are not frozen or made so many days in advance?

justmestace said:
The first one, the round one, is usually the cake they'll bring as part of a "Celebration Package", which would be for a birthday, anniversary, bon voyage. etc....the ones you pre-order and pay far too much for.

Those packages no longer include a cake, at least not when sailing from Miami. I haven't looked at the other port pages.

Thank you for the pictures! the second one looks like one they gave us at dinner because we were celebrating our anniversary. It was not the best tasting cake, but it was still a very nice gesture. I wonder if the special order ones taste different? Perhaps they are not frozen or made so many days in advance?

That cake is no longer served for celebrations in the dining rooms.

I also heard they were not good. I have ordered one at DW and it was not good at all - so we weren't going to try again. I celebated my birthday onboard the Magic on Feb 11. This is a picture of the desert they brought when they sung to me (and this was in addition to the dessert I had already ordered). But I am an adult - a child may want a birthday cake so I could understand ordering one for a child - when we got home I did remind my family that I did not have a birthday cake - still never got one!

DSCF0286_zpse3dffb74.jpg

It's our Daughter's birthday next week, on embarkation day. I really wanted her to have a cake, but I haven't heard ONE good thing about the special occasion cakes. (I'm not talking wedding cakes) I kept looking, hoping someone said they were OK. :goodvibes
We had the one they give at Dinner last year so will stick with that. We'll also order the 'cake of the day' from room service.

Minnie321 said:
a child may want a birthday cake so I could understand ordering one for a child

This is the only reason we're ordering a cake. Although, I am hoping that the specialty cake with buttercream will be much better than the cakes that used to come with the celebration package.

We always have a cake for our birthdays here so we will be ordering a specialty cake for DS as he will celebrate his birthday on board.

fredgirls said:
It's our Daughter's birthday next week, on embarkation day. I really wanted her to have a cake, but I haven't heard ONE good thing about the special occasion cakes. (I'm not talking wedding cakes) I kept looking, hoping someone said they were OK. :goodvibes
We had the one they give at Dinner last year so will stick with that. We'll also order the 'cake of the day' from room service.

This is what i have heard as well. My ds is celebrating a birthday on board this year. We are skipping the cake. Will probably look into the cake of the day. Bringing our own decorations, much cheaper then those packages.

This is the only reason we're ordering a cake. Although, I am hoping that the specialty cake with buttercream will be much better than the cakes that used to come with the celebration package.

This is what I want to know too. I have tried their specialty cakes and numerous cake desserts, but Im wondering if the special order ones with butter cream are better and worth it. :confused:

This is what I want to know too. I have tried their specialty cakes and numerous cake desserts, but Im wondering if the special order ones with butter cream are better and worth it. :confused:

I'm sure the 'specialty' cakes will be better and fresher than the celebration cake or the mickey cake. To be honest, I think the reviews I read mainly referred to the celebration and mickey cakes. The options for the specialty cakes include some fresh things like whipped cream and mousse, so I'm sure they'll be fresher. Am guessing the sponge they use is all the same frozen stuff though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter