DCL admins onboard????

maria-fan-22

DIS Veteran
I just thought about this while watching the Undercover Boss episode with Kevin Sheehan of NCL. Do any of the DCL admins ever have the opportunity to get on a cruise and go behind the scenes and see what a great job their crew is doing on the ships? Or do they still have to keep with the average vacation times? Just thought it would be interesting to know.

Another question is has anyone seen the DCL admins on the ships? Do they get super special treatment or do they try and have the treatment provided to the average guest? Thanks! pirate:

Disney admin is encouraged to get out in there area. Whether its a hotel, ship or transportation. Busses for example, the bosses were expected to spend at least 1 day a month each as a driver and a lead away from their managerial duties. Id assume DCL is the same.

As far as being spotted, Karl Holz was spotted on the Alaskan inaug. AS to special treatment, I think it would depend on the situation. Theres some execs that prob look for extra treatment, and there are some that will try and stay low key to get a better feel for what is going on. I wouldnt be surprised if a cm was working a specific area, and knew that an exec was in their area, that some extra attention was given to them.

When the Wonder went from LA to Vancouver, the VP of Operations and the VP of Hotel Services were both on board. The operations VP did not wear a name tag, but she was inspection areas, making sure things that needed to be taken care of in dry dock were on the list, etc. I had dinner with both of them in Palo, it was quite interesting to hear what the Ops person said was coming up as far as some changes, including the enforcement of port arrival times. Both of them were very approachable, but both of them were there working, too.

Both of them were very approachable, but both of them were there working, too.

Most DCL execs are. If the old school hiring practices for execs is still inplace, then they are carefuly screened for things like that. If you ever get the chance, read the book 10 Common Sense Leadership Rules, by Lee Cockerell. Itll give you a insight as to why things are done in certain ways, and the mentality of the way they hire and what they look for, as well as leader advice.

We have been onboard many times over the years where DCL execs and the president (Tom McAlpin and Karl Holz) have been on. I am sure they are very interested in the operation of the ship....do not think they do as "undercover boss" does but are certainly onboard often.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter