Daytrip Universal or Move the Whole Fam?

Dtw002

Mouseketeer
We are staying at BCV for a week in the summer. My one daughter (10) is super into Harry Potter and we are debating about me/her going to universal for the day. Would you recommend that or tack on another 3 days to our trip and move over to there after DVC? My other daughters are 8 and 6.

Just not sure if Universal is worth the big move of our whole family. But is that more desirable than trying to do all the HP in a day. Thanks!

It is driveable. Traffic can get heavy between DisnHey and Universal on i4, so you would need to allow for that.

However, the reason many people book rooms over there is to get access to the Universal equivalent of the FastPass system. Their hotel guests get fastpass access as part of the room charge.

At one time, THe Harry Potter rides were not included in the hotel guest fastpass, so it would be worth checking in the Universal Forums to see if this has changed.

Also, see this video.

It's a very easy day trip. Without traffic it's only a 15 minute drive, just avoid rush hour. Uber should be $15 each way.

Tack it on! Do it right!!!

Our son’s first trip there was at 6 and he LOVED it.

Stay deluxe (royal pacific, hard rock, or portofino) and get both early entrance to a Wizarding World each day AND unlimited express pass for your whole stay. And yes it includes all of Wizarding World now.

Last edited:

If the rest of your family isn't interested, it would be a good day trip. However, it won't come cheap. In order to experience all of the HP stuff, you will need the park-to-park ticket. You also need the park-to-park ticket to ride Hogwarts Express. Which is a must-do for any HP super fan!! :)

The day trip will definitely be cheaper than taking the entire family there for 3 days at the end of the trip, but if you haven't looked at the prices for a one-day park-to-park ticket, well...consider yourself forewarned! :scared1:

Have a great trip!!

We had a car with us and my wife and daughter just drove over for the day. They did purchase an express pass so they could get to the front of the line for all rides except Harry Potter. They were able to ride everything that they wanted to in both parks in one day.
Depending on when you will be there, Harry Potter can be very busy. However, the lines were down to 5-10 minutes by 5 pm. (We were there early December).

So, my family just did it this week. They booked a Mears shuttle ($21 round trip). It picks you up when/where you want and takes you home when you want. You have to call them 2 hours ahead of time to set your pickup time. Also you can pay Universal and extra fee around $60 to get into their fast pass program. My kids loved it.

Last edited:
We are thinking of doing this too. Would love to see the HP world. How much did you end up paying for each person in your family with the shuttle and fast pass program?

I agree with many on here:

A) Separate stay: 3 days/2 nights in one of the deluxe Loews hotels that includes express pass for the entire party. You can walk to both parks (if desired) and your express pass is valid from check-in until park closing on check-out day.
B) 3 day park-to-park tickets. Do take advantage of the park hopping (via the Hogwarts Express, of course).
C) Have a butterbeer for me.

We did 2 nights at Royal Pacific Resort followed by 5 nights at Yacht Club (we were not DVC members at the time). That was when Diagon Alley had just opened. What a glorious week. My girls still talk about it.

It's not the same IMO when offsite. Do a split trip, but do it last. It's more difficult to stand in WDW lines after having FOTL pass::yes::

One or preferably 2 nights onsite @ one of the Loews properties that offers FOTL.

Another option is to take the HP fan for some special Mom(or Dad?) time. Let the rest of the family do their own thing that day. Far less expensive to buy EP/tix for just 2 people. Make sure to buy the park-to-park tix so you can ride the train/see both HP lands.

It's not the same IMO when offsite. Do a split trip, but do it last. It's more difficult to stand in WDW lines after having FOTL pass::yes::

Yep. :)

Though if you've just come from an OKW 2 bedroom and then squeeze into the pre-refurbished Royal Pacific room (I've just described our first WDW and Uni trip) it's a bit painful. But...you're in the room to sleep, mainly. Close your eyes and you'll be fine. ;)

I’d say it all depends on how many are going to universal if it’s only two persons then I’ll just make it a day trip and remember to buy the express passes.

If it’s the entire family then it’s worth it to get an extra night in the end at one of the universal hotels which gives you free express passes for checkin and checkout day.

Appreciate the help. It’s just me and one of my daughters, the rest of the family doesn’t have a big interest in it yet. I think we are just going to say trip it. Thanks again!

We are thinking of doing this too. Would love to see the HP world. How much did you end up paying for each person in your family with the shuttle and fast pass program?

The shuttle was $21/person, and the HP fast pass program was around $60/person.

Tack it on! Do it right!!!

Our son’s first trip there was at 6 and he LOVED it.

Stay deluxe (royal pacific, hard rock, ornoortofino) and get both early entrance to a Wizarding World each day AND unlimited express pass for your whole stay. And yes it includes all of Wizarding World now.

This! We have stayed at Royal Pacific and Hard Rock. It was SO nice to be able to walk to the park (makes taking a midday break so easy!) The unlimited express pass is an incredible bonus, too! Touring Universal was so easy and fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter