Day-Trip to Which Beach in Florida?

REL1203

DIS Veteran
The Family and I are headed to DW in Dec for my Birthday (Turning 40 sigh). We've planned 1 day where we want to to drive somewhere in Florida for the day to go to a nice warm beach (Not Miami Beach). Anyone have suggestions, just needs to be somewhere Warm enough in early Dec for 2 adults and a 5.5year old.

I love gulf beaches. You can make a nice day visiting a public beach and getting a nice seafood lunch.
I tend to go to Pinellas County beach parks - http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/beaches.htm

If covid doesn't ruin everything this Christmas, I'm doing a trip to Universal. We're planning to do a beach day as well, probably will end up at Redington Shores.

I live in the Cocoa Beach area ... if you are planning for warm weather and water in December .. you MAY want to adjust your expectations ...

It MIGHT be 80's and it might be 40's air wize. Water WILL be 70's or below. Depending on what you have back home this might seem good. As a local we don't go in the water this cool without a wet suit (surfers)

Gulf side won't be much different .... Atlantic side is a shorter drive

If the weather IS warm you can have a nice beach day,, but don't expect bath water temps for swimming. (you wouldn't get 'em in Miami Beach either)

Lori Wilson State Park in Cocoa is a nice choice. Sanibel Island is the best (love the lighthouse) but it is a very long drive. Have fun and Happy Birthday!

My family went to Canaveral National Seashore last year on Dec. 3rd. It was 50 degrees, we were alright in the sand, but only made it a couple minutes in the water. We are from WI and left just in front of an ice storm.

The Family and I are headed to DW in Dec for my Birthday (Turning 40 sigh). We've planned 1 day where we want to to drive somewhere in Florida for the day to go to a nice warm beach (Not Miami Beach). Anyone have suggestions, just needs to be somewhere Warm enough in early Dec for 2 adults and a 5.5year old.
Cocoa Beach is our FAVORITE! 45 minute drive from MCO and very family friendly! The Pier, Twistee Treat ice cream, and gator golf are among our favorites! We go there 3-6 times a year so I can help with any other questions!

We prefer the Gulf Beaches; from Clearwater down to Siesta Key.

We just spent some time on Anna Maria island in August and then drove up to WDW after - we fell in love with it. Highly recommend! We will definitely be going back. (Was about a ~2 hour drive).

I live in the Cocoa Beach area ... if you are planning for warm weather and water in December .. you MAY want to adjust your expectations ...

It MIGHT be 80's and it might be 40's air wize. Water WILL be 70's or below. Depending on what you have back home this might seem good. As a local we don't go in the water this cool without a wet suit (surfers)

Gulf side won't be much different .... Atlantic side is a shorter drive

If the weather IS warm you can have a nice beach day,, but don't expect bath water temps for swimming. (you wouldn't get 'em in Miami Beach either)
I loved when I asked family on the east side they told me the only people getting in the water are Canadians..lol
The beach is still really nice just cant go in the water very far.

For those who know...is the sand on the gulf side (Tampa/Clearwater area) softer than the sand on the atlantic side (cocoa beach area)?

For those who know...is the sand on the gulf side (Tampa/Clearwater area) softer than the sand on the atlantic side (cocoa beach area)?
We have been to Clearwater but not Cocoa so I’m not the person to best respond - though Clearwater has a gorgeous soft sand beach and water! We loved it in past visits and are huge fans of the Gulf side from CW to the south. If it’s open the Clearwater Marine Aquarium also is a lovely little place that cares for wounded/sick/etc sea life and is the home of Winter the Dolphin of movie fame. We saw her in years past when our kids were young, before the film.
Happy to help a fellow ‘sota gal out 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter