Dating for a meal

Makes me think maybe letting them pay for the first date is even MORE important - find out what they're made of.
That's using just one definition, outdated honestly these days too. Totally ok if it's the idealogy you prefer but it's by no means the only way.

Would I appreciate if on the first date a guy pays for me? Absolutely. But expectation and appreciation are two different things. But I think that's just part of how times have changed over the years.

I agree about expectation vs. appreciation. I never said I expected it, just that I would let them if they offered. Even back in my day, it was not a given that they guy would pay. We usually traded off. However, if someone wants to "take you out to dinner," I would generally assume they were paying - and would let them. (And I certainly wouldn't believe I owed them sex for it!) If someone wondered if I'd like to meet for dinner, that's a whole different ball game. I was never in a relationship where the guy always paid and no one here has said that's what they wanted. I've been on first dates where they "took me out" and on first dates where we "met up." Even if the first date was his treat, it very quickly evened out as we continued dating - I can't really imagine doing otherwise unless there's a HUGE disparity in incomes. ( I had a friend who dated and eventually married a rich man. When they first started dating she was always baking and finding ways to contribute in other ways (Not sex!) because it was silly for her to pay when she was making so much less than him. Most of their dates in the beginning ended up being hikes, etc. because the disparity of their income was awkward.)

I think the last poster totally misunderstood what I was saying about finding out what they're made of - that comment was in response to finding out they expected their date to sleep with them if they'd paid. If that's who they are, I'd want to know that right away. I was not in any way saying the man paying showed what he was made of. I would say the same if it were a woman paying and expecting the man to sleep with her because she paid.

Last edited:
Expecting it (especially since you're already in a sexual relationship) and feeling like you are owed it because you spent money are two very different things.

Interesting "are you calling me fat?" twists happening in this thread.

I agree about expectation vs. appreciation. I never said I expected it, just that I would let them if they offered. Even back in my day, it was not a given that they guy would pay. We usually traded off. However, if someone wants to "take you out to dinner," I would generally assume they were paying - and would let them. (And I certainly wouldn't believe I owed them sex for it!) If someone wondered if I'd like to meet for dinner, that's a whole different ball game. I was never in a relationship where the guy always paid and no one here has said that's what they wanted. I've been on first dates where they "took me out" and on first dates where we "met up." Even if the first date was his treat, it very quickly evened out as we continued dating - I can't really imagine doing otherwise unless there's a HUGE disparity in incomes. ( I had a friend who dated and eventually married a rich man. When they first started dating she was always baking and finding ways to contribute in other ways (Not sex!) because it was silly for her to pay when she was making so much less than him. Most of their dates in the beginning ended up being hikes, etc. because the disparity of their income was awkward.)

I think the last poster totally misunderstood what I was saying about finding out what they're made of - that comment was in response to finding out they expected their date to sleep with them if they'd paid. If that's who they are, I'd want to know that right away. I was not in any way saying the man paying showed what he was made of. I would say the same if it were a woman paying and expecting the man to sleep with her because she paid.

Expecting it (especially since you're already in a sexual relationship) and feeling like you are owed it because you spent money are two very different things.

I knew what you were saying. I was also expanding on it, especially as you touched on another poster's comments (and seemingly agreed with at least part of their comments).

However, if a guy expects something physical without respects to what the other person may want on the first date, paying for the meal can easily just be an excuse/means of doing so so IMO not really a good indicator of things. "I paid" can just be a cop out.

I'm not sure how it got turned into being OWED sex because they paid for dinner/date. I know in my original post on this topic said they were doing so HOPING to get lucky. Not even EXPECTING to.

In terms of money, one can find out a lot about a guy by being the one paying, too. (Well, maybe not the first time, ;) but soon afterward.) I used to counsel abused women. And there is a general saying that turns out to be true:

S/He who controls the wallet, controls the relationship.​

I can't tell you how many stories I've heard where domineering/controlling/abusive men show up at the beginning of a relationship, all sweet and acting chivalrous. They pay for everything. They seem so thoughtful by making all the plans. They pre-order the meals for the woman. Even if she doesn't like boiled chicken and has told him, she still thinks it's romantic & thoughtful that he ordered for her. He seems so protective, when he asks where she is going? How is she getting there? How late will she be? As they get into a longterm relationship, he then doesn't want her to work, or work anymore. He'll take care of her. She thinks all this is so romantic. . .

Until the real him starts to come out, as these men usually can't keep up the charade for long. Him paying for her, his making her get rid of her job, her friends, is a controlling maneuver to make sure she is financially & emotionally dependent on him and isolated. What seemed like him being so protective and thoughtful before is actually him being controlling of what she does, where she goes, who she does it with, when does she come home, down to what she eats, when he orders for her.

Many women who end up at battered women's shelters often arrive with only the clothes on their back. They didn't have the money to get out to be on their own. Many women stay in battered relationships because they have no money to take their kids & leave. So many women go BACK to the guy, because they want the man who showed up in the beginning, the false personae who was so thoughtful & romantic. That guy is the man they love. Not the one who showed up later. The one who was so thoughtful, who took care of them. Oh, he was definitely thoughtful. He thought about how he'd be in control later. And he didn't take care, he took over.

These types of men show up at first dates also sizing women up. They want someone who ultimately is submissive. Who will acquiesce over and over and over again and again. They don't want someone who says, "You bought the last round, I'm buying this one. I got this one, this time." They don't want a strong woman who is asserting equality or boundaries. And doesn't give in when he pushes. "I know you said the boiled chicken is a delicacy here. But, I have food allergies and I really prefer to order for myself, thank you." They are off to look for the submissive one.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THEM! :p

I’ve never had a guy try to order what he thought was best for me and I certainly wouldn’t let him, on principal and because I’m a super picky eater. And really, if a guy ordered something I didn’t ask for he should pay and never expect to hear from me again.

Any guy I ever went out with was someone I already knew to some extent, I already knew we had overlap in certain areas that I considered essential to even move a relationship forward. I never went out with a guy that wouldn’t have wanted to pay for a first date. There was never any shyness about him grabbing/asking for the check to avoid any and all confusion, or in the case of coffee, asking what I wanted and then going to get it.

The guys I went out with wanted to show they could provide, there was no domineering behavior and there was certainly no expectation of the other things discussed on this thread. Again, I’m coming from a Christian worldview here, that many would label conservative, but those are also the type of guys I was dating.

In terms of money, one can find out a lot about a guy by being the one paying, too. (Well, maybe not the first time, ;) but soon afterward.) I used to counsel abused women. And there is a general saying that turns out to be true:

:rolleyes:

I can't tell you how many stories I've heard where domineering/controlling/abusive men show up at the beginning of a relationship, all sweet and acting chivalrous. They pay for everything. They seem so thoughtful by making all the plans. They pre-order the meals for the woman. Even if she doesn't like boiled chicken and has told him, she still thinks it's romantic & thoughtful that he ordered for her. He seems so protective, when he asks where she is going? How is she getting there? How late will she be? As they get into a longterm relationship, he then doesn't want her to work, or work anymore. He'll take care of her. She thinks all this is so romantic. . .

Until the real him starts to come out, as these men usually can't keep up the charade for long. Him paying for her, his making her get rid of her job, her friends, is a controlling maneuver to make sure she is financially & emotionally dependent on him and isolated. What seemed like him being so protective and thoughtful before is actually him being controlling of what she does, where she goes, who she does it with, when does she come home, down to what she eats, when he orders for her.

Many women who end up at battered women's shelters often arrive with only the clothes on their back. They didn't have the money to get out to be on their own. Many women stay in battered relationships because they have no money to take their kids & leave. So many women go BACK to the guy, because they want the man who showed up in the beginning, the false personae who was so thoughtful & romantic. That guy is the man they love. Not the one who showed up later. The one who was so thoughtful, who took care of them. Oh, he was definitely thoughtful. He thought about how he'd be in control later. And he didn't take care, he took over.

These types of men show up at first dates also sizing women up. They want someone who ultimately is submissive. Who will acquiesce over and over and over again and again. They don't want someone who says, "You bought the last round, I'm buying this one. I got this one, this time." They don't want a strong woman who is asserting equality or boundaries. And doesn't give in when he pushes. "I know you said the boiled chicken is a delicacy here. But, I have food allergies and I really prefer to order for myself, thank you." They are off to look for the submissive one.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THEM! :p
Talk about a gross generalization. I quit work to stay home with my now 27 yr. old. When he went to school, I worked for a few years, because I was lonely being home alone. It's been many years since my last job. My DH makes the money & pays the bills. I have the same access to our money that he does. His check is put in the bank via automatic deposit. I spend what I want. We have a great marriage, because we have mutual respect for each other. He wouldn't consider trying to control me, because he knows it wouldn't go well for him. I'm not the kind of woman that can be told what to do. IMO, a woman that allows a man to control her would do the same, if she made more money than he did.

Talk about a gross generalization. I quit work to stay home with my now 27 yr. old. When he went to school, I worked for a few years, because I was lonely being home alone. It's been many years since my last job. My DH makes the money & pays the bills. I have the same access to our money that he does. His check is put in the bank via automatic deposit. I spend what I want. We have a great marriage, because we have mutual respect for each other. He wouldn't consider trying to control me, because he knows it wouldn't go well for him. I'm not the kind of woman that can be told what to do. IMO, a woman that allows a man to control her would do the same, if she made more money than he did.

If anything I have more to say about his purchases than he ever does about what I buy (I’m also the one who does the budget). He has never once referred to our money as his money when he’s been the only one working. I have no allowance or any such nonsense.

I'm going restate the sentence with the operative word emphasized:

S/He who controls the wallet, controls the relationship.

Sounds like you and PlainJane have a partner who shares the wallet, good for you. :thumbsup2 That doesn't always happen. In some other relationships, money is used as a power and control.

Now, I have to go to work. Will continue this, if need be, later.

I'm going restate the sentence with the operative word emphasized:

S/He who controls the wallet, controls the relationship.

Sounds like you and PlainJane have a partner who shares the wallet, good for you. :thumbsup2 That doesn't always happen. In some other relationships, money is used as a power and control.

Now, I have to go to work. Will continue this, if need be, later.
My friend just divorced her controlling husband. I still remember a day she came to visit me with her infant and toddler from out of town, her husband must’ve called a dozen times. A dozen years later, they moved back here, and he could no longer isolate her from friends (who she desperately needed, having a non verbal autistic 12 year old son who her husband refused to ever be alone with). She had no credit card, her name was not on the bank account, their home went into foreclosure and they declared bankruptcy, she didn’t know he wasn’t paying the mortgage.

My DH is our sole income, and I’ve been a SAHM for 23 years, and I pay all of the bills!

That's really sweet of you to say. My 2 closest girlfriends are both currently single. One never married and is 41. She very much wants a traditional family, but dating freaks her out so much she'll only go on a couple of dates over the course of the entire summer for instance (she's a teacher), so you're pretty normal. I encourage her, and you, or anyone, who'd like to find a partner, to just go out with tons of people. When you're dating and have multiple people that seem interesting, you're more relaxed and not invested in this ONE SINGLE DATE being amazing. Then it's fun. I actually miss dating sometimes because I often met really cool people even if they weren't the one. I know it's corny, but when I met DH, I kinda knew he was it. He kissed me and my knees literally went weak, but even then, I had other men I was talking to, so it wasn't such a big deal if he didn't invite me for a second date. While I wouldn't say it was love at first sight, it was definitely attraction/interest at first date. He'd been quite the active dater too and we both started dropping other potentials to focus on each other, so I reckon it was meant to be. So while the random interesting people I met while dating were fun, having the one you were meant for makes all the frogs and fretting worth it. If you want a relationship of course. Some people just enjoy ************* and that's perfectly fine too. It can be fun, you just have to be able to be chill and not too invested at the beginning in it.
See, you might have found dating fun. For an introvert like me, it was more like hell on earth. And try dating as a single mom - forget it. Half the guys thought me being a single mom meant I was easy, and the other half wanted to play daddy right away. I finally gave up and don't miss it at all.

No, but back in the day, I let guys buy me drinks at the bar. ;)

T
See, you might have found dating fun. For an introvert like me, it was more like hell on earth. And try dating as a single mom - forget it. Half the guys thought me being a single mom meant I was easy, and the other half wanted to play daddy right away. I finally gave up and don't miss it at all.
Maybe you’ve pinpointed the difference. I am an extrovert and dating was my favorite hobby. I might only date a guy a few times, because if we didn’t click, it was time to move on. But I enjoyed getting to know him.

I’ve been married many years now, to an introvert. If something ever happened to him, I don’t know that I’d love dating as much as when I was younger. Meeting people is harder, and I’m not open to online methods, because I want to see if there’s chemistry before I commit to a date. Plus, I’ve gotten even pickier.

I never dated for a meal, but I didn’t pay the check either. When and where I dated, that just wasn’t done. The men paid. And they’d be out of luck if they expected anything in return from me. No one ever chose my meal, except me. But if it suits other women to take turns paying, have at it.

The idea that treating someone to a meal that you invited them to means they owe you sex is abhorrent. Better to find that out about someone right away about someone. Makes me think maybe letting them pay for the first date is even MORE important - find out what they're made of.

Like plainjane said above, it's important to be "of like minds" if you are going to be in a relationship.
I agree with all of this. It's been a while, but back in the day, I would have been shocked if on a first-date the guy didn't pay. I think it might be more of a generational thing really. I'd expect the same today if I was single and dating a man of my similar age.

As for the other part? :o During my early-to-mid-twenties single years I had a few longer-term (months to a year) relationships that never became intimate and of course the men involved understood why. After the first few dates and the "breaking the ice" stage had passed, I would occasionally pay or we would sometimes go dutch, but the men still paid more often than not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter