DAS related to Anxiety

Dis Dragon

Rawwwwr
I was curious what the communities experience was when it came for DAS passes for anxiety? I'm not sure what level would rise to the mark of consideration and was looking for input.

I can't answer your question concerning what level of anxiety is required for a DAS. If you feel that you cannot wait in a regular line, go to guest services and request a DAS. You will need to explain why you can't wait in the line. You may be asked a few questions, concerning your reason for the need of a DAS. Know that if you are issued a DAS, that you will still wait - just somewhere else. It is not a front of the line pass and when you return you still may need to wait in the fast pass line.

Everyone is different. You would have to be able to tell them why you are unable to wait in the normal line. What is it about your anxiety that precludes you from waiting in the line. Others have said that they received a DAS for their anxiety issues, but it is against forum rules for us to tell you what to say.

... one last thing to know: The CMs at Guest Relations in the Park (where you go to get the DAS) don't need to know/don't want to know what your "diagnosis" is. Doctor's notes will not be looked at either.

That's because DAS is need-based. So, as my friends above have said, it's about *why you can't wait in line* and not anything else. It's not a front-of-the-line pass - it does nothing more than allow you to wait most of the time outside the line. You will still have to go through the FP+ entrance (which means you will still go through a portion of the queue, and may still have a wait - albeit shorter - inside the attraction)

If you think you might have a problem talking to a CM about your anxiety, and how it affects your ability to wait in line, everyone in our family has an app that we keep on our phones, called "Emergency Chat". The logo for it looks like this:

It's an app that will let you text someone when you are too overwhelmed to speak.

You can customize the opening screen (shown below) to help give the person you are communicating with more information.

You "text" with the other person, by handing the phone back and forth so you don't have to try and talk when you are not comfortable with speech in the moment. It's just another tool to have ready (like knowing that you can use First Aid at the Parks) in case you need it.

For me, I would try to access an attraction without DAS, see how it goes, and if it doesn't go well, then go to guest relations and explain what happened. But that is just how I do it - it doesn't work that way for everyone, understandably. If I don't try it first, then I don't know if/how my anxiety will manifest and then I wouldn't know what to say to the CM. I've been perfectly fine in a queue, but I’ve also had severe symptoms or feelings of anxiety at various times. So far I've been able to work through the symptoms, but I've talked to a few CMs and they have been very helpful.

Last trip I ended up in the ER, but I've got to say WDW CMs took great care of me and if I ever have a PFD flareup that triggers a full blown anxiety attack, I hope I'm at WDW (but not this August when I'm finally ready to return, please)

ETA: this is what the mod changed, so these are not my own words :)

Last edited:
I know people who get return-time accommodation because they cannot tolerate being close to others for too long or feel trapped in the queue. I have severe PTSD and panic disorder, though better these days, and I found that adjusting my medication leading up to the trip and a small number of intervention-anxiolytics like klonopin or tranxene (even if I don't actually take the pills) work better than most other options.

I know people who get return-time accommodation because they cannot tolerate being close to others for too long or feel trapped in the queue. I have severe PTSD and panic disorder, though better these days, and I found that adjusting my medication leading up to the trip and a small number of intervention-anxiolytics like klonopin or tranxene (even if I don't actually take the pills) work better than most other options.
I will say that for me, the social distancing helped quite a bit with this, too bad that didn't stick around to some degree. 6 feet might be excessive, but maybe 3 feet?

The social distancing was awesome, I wish that translated someway into a form that could be kept. But honestly even when it was 6 feet, it really messed with me when people weren't following the markers.

I manage sometimes with Lorazepam or Clonazepam. There's part of me that wonders if I need to be medicating to find enjoyment. I guess if it's manageable it's not a big concern? Thanks for the replies.

I will say that for me, the social distancing helped quite a bit with this, too bad that didn't stick around to some degree. 6 feet might be excessive, but maybe 3 feet?

If you have a travel companion, you can build a "bubble" in most queues easily; just ask them to stand behind you, and you allow a bit of space to build ahead of you in line. As long you keep your bubble moving in sync with the line, most folks won't even notice, and it can give someone who needs to pace - or just have the space - without being too disruptive.

(disclaimer: I am also a big fan of "bubble theory" in traffic - I have found that the bubble has saved my rear end more than once when traffic screamed to a halt in front of me.)

My niece, who has issues with boundaries (she gets too close to people, usually someone she knows, but not always. And I mean close, like stepping on feet close) had us doing the bubble scenario on our last trip. Luckily there were 3 adults in our group, so we had a good ratio.

Things that help in this regard...
Create that bubble with people and things if possible. Get a short backpack that sticks out a long way from your back and hang a bunch of jangly dangly things all over it. Ppl tend to see these and keep back a bit, lest you take a turn and swipe them with it. I've gone so far as to pack one full of styrofoam to bulk it out but keep it light. Sometimes I joke about putting really unpopular messages on it so ppl will want additional space from me. A patch advocating "Orphan Sausages", a modest proposal.

Put additional party members ahead and behind you to maintain space.

At attractions with mob loading, many shows and haunted mansion come to mind, ask a cast member in advance if you might set off to the side and be the last in or wait for next loading group and go in first. I tell them my walking ability is only about 80% and tend to get jostled when piling in with the crowd like a twig in a stream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter