Das question for wdw

Rivergirl2005

DIS Veteran
I figured I’d come here to ask since again I’m worried about asking on social media. I’ve gone to Disney for the last 5 years without using DAS. All of my life I have dealt with my anxiety rather than find ways to help it. Last year, I found my anxieties heighten at the park due to crowds, transportation issues and just being in over crowded areas. This year I’ve also had major panic attacks at my job so I’ve finally gotten the help I needed. However I worry it could happen in the parks in line or at any moment.

I would like to do the video call ahead but my anxiety has caused a block. I worry someone will tell me anxiety can not be used for DAS or why are you applying for DAS now when you haven’t for the past few years.

I know it sounds crazy but I’m nervous typing this out. I don’t want to look like I’m trying to rig any system. I really am just embarrassed and really don’t want to have any issue on my vacation.

Am I allowed to tell them about my anxiety diagnosis or the panic attacks? I’m not sure what to say…. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can tell them you suffer from panic attacks in crowded spaces. That is a symptom. You can talk all day about symptoms.

They don't want to hear your diagnosis. Telling them you have anxiety is a diagnosis. You can talk about feeling anxious, however. They will put 2 and 2 together.

They will not bring up how you coped "last time." That is irrelevant to them. People develop disabilities at all different points in their lives. A person could be fine for 50 years and suddenly develop a disability requiring the use of DAS. They are not there to scrutinize your past.

You don't tell them your diagnosis, saying "anxiety" is a diagnosis. You have to tell them why you can not wait in the regular line. Like what happens to you if you do. People have been approved for their anxiety symptoms, but they will want to know exactly why you can't wait. If you don't want to do it online, then wait until you get to the parks.

Am I allowed to tell them about my anxiety diagnosis or the panic attacks?
As others have stated, DAS is not diagnosis-based and the CMs do not want to hear your diagnosis. In requesting DAS you should discuss what happens in a standard queue environment, how that impacts you. Also DAS does not entirely eliminate waiting in a queue -- you could be in the LL for 20 minutes. Be sure you have coping mechanisms planned to help you through those times.

Last year, I found my anxieties heighten at the park due to crowds, transportation issues and just being in over crowded areas.
Just be aware that DAS will not help with any of these other situations.

You can tell them you suffer from panic attacks in crowded spaces. That is a symptom. You can talk all day about symptoms.

They don't want to hear your diagnosis. Telling them you have anxiety is a diagnosis. You can talk about feeling anxious, however. They will put 2 and 2 together.

They will not bring up how you coped "last time." That is irrelevant to them. People develop disabilities at all different points in their lives. A person could be fine for 50 years and suddenly develop a disability requiring the use of DAS. They are not there to scrutinize your past.

You don't tell them your diagnosis, saying "anxiety" is a diagnosis. You have to tell them why you can not wait in the regular line. Like what happens to you if you do. People have been approved for their anxiety symptoms, but they will want to know exactly why you can't wait. If you don't want to do it online, then wait until you get to the parks.

Thank you so much for understanding. So I should focus on the panic attacks and describe what it feels like to be in those situations?

Thank you so much for understanding. So I should focus on the panic attacks and describe what it feels like to be in those situations?
It is against DIS rules to tell anyone what to say directly to the cast member. We can only tell you what we have so far. I would think about this and imagine what happens to you in the line that forces you to have to leave that and explain that to the cast member. I am glad that you are getting help. I had panic attacks after my second child and it was horrible. I thought that I was having a heart attack. Luckily, mine was because of a hormone imbalance and a few months of "happy pills" fixed those for me. But I am also lately starting to get them back and it stinks so much. I can sympathize with you.
What I have found to work for me in the lines is to distract myself. I love to read and I have the NOOK app on my phone. I download a bunch of books before my trip and I read on my phone while in the line. That distracts my mind enough to zone the rest of the people out for the most part. I hope you find what works for you.

The cast member is going to ask you some variation of this question:

"How does waiting in the standard queue cause difficulties for you?"

Or

"How can the DAS alleviate the issues you face in a regular queue environment?"

You will then be free to share what triggers are present in a standard queue and what happens when the triggers build up to your threshold for tolerance. And then how the ability to wait elsewhere does NOT result in the same outcome. All this is very personal to the individual so you will have to find a way to explain/verbalize how YOU are affected.

I would like to do the video call ahead but my anxiety has caused a block. I worry someone will tell me anxiety can not be used for DAS or why are you applying for DAS now when you haven’t for the past few years.
You could always go in person once you arrive. This would allow you to type out your response ahead of time to what issues you have waiting in lines and hand it to the cast member. Perhaps there is a way to send them a text file on the video chat but I have no idea about that. This used to be a suggestion for people who would have trouble explaining themselves to someone, or in public, or wanted to keep it private so others around do not hear (before the video DAS came along).

Having traveled with someone who uses a DAS, I am not so sure it would do a good job of keeping you out of those crowds. I had a brain injury back about 7 years ago and also had some issues with being around a lot of people (it made me dizzy and just over stimulated) so it's my only way of imagining what it might be like for you). I suggest in some rides where they dump people in a room (like Guardians) that you hang near the back and let people go in front of you. Let people leave the room first when the next door opens to move to the next area. It is just more relaxing to be out of the way of those anxious to get to the ride. That Guardians area still brings back those feelings for me - it's my favorite ride however! I've learned where the less busy spots are to stand (farthest from opening doors) so that helps me and probably only adds another minute to my ride time.

If you decide to try to the online chat, you might want to try to have someone with you. I find for me just waiting, and worrying I'll miss it when they come online can be nerve wracking. I always do the online stuff to start and when I get connected, I call my husband over for who needs it. He does all the talking etc.

Hi OP! Panic attacks are exactly why I use DAS. I did the online chat twice, but that was after I'd already renewed several times in-person. I will say in-person feels easier because you're face to face as opposed to a screen between you an the CM, but if you need to schedule rides in advance for whatever reason, doing the online chat is valuable. There are tips all over the disboards about how to get on with minimal wait times, etc.

Nothing really to add to what's already been said to help you in this process, but as others have said you aren't rigging the system because a panic attack will pull you out of line, and depending on when you're going those lines could be long! Just wanted to share that you're not alone and you shouldn't have to struggle through your trip unnecessarily.

If you decide to try to the online chat, you might want to try to have someone with you. I find for me just waiting, and worrying I'll miss it when they come online can be nerve wracking. I always do the online stuff to start and when I get connected, I call my husband over for who needs it. He does all the talking etc.
Yes, I sometimes bring a family member with me to important appointments because I'm worried my anxiety will cause me to forget some important detail.

Another thing to remember is that if you do the online chat and for some reason it doesn't go well, you're not SOL. You still have the option of going to guest services at the park.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement! It means so much to know there’s others that have had similar experiences. I still haven’t gotten the courage to do the online das videoing. We don’t go until June 19 but everyday I try to find that courage. If not I will go to customer service at Epcot.

Again thank you for your kindness!!

Ok so I got the courage to sign up and did but completely forgot that I could make the 2 selections ahead of time and panicked. So I left the chat and they sent a link. Do I have to video chat again to get the two rides in advance?

Last edited:
Ok so I got the courage to sign up and did but completely forgot that I could make the 2 selections ahead of time and panicked. So I left the chat and they sent a link. Do I have to video chat again to get the two rides in advance?
If you want to make the selections, you do start out the same. You go to the same link in the WDW website, accept the terms and conditions, then tap the ‘Begin Video chat’ link.

You don’t need to do the video chat again. When the text chat window opens, there will be a message that says ‘Click here’ if already registered for DAS and just need to make your DAS Advance Selections. Click that to go to the DAS Advance Selection chat

Last year, I found my anxieties heighten at the park due to crowds, transportation issues and just being in over crowded areas.
I can relate to this so much. I have yet to try for DAS and also have just tried to manage it on my own. We take frequent breaks. I'm fortunate that I know when the pressure is starting to get overwhelming, and we exit the park and go back to the room until it passes. Lines can be the worst, especially when people can't respect personal space and smack into you all the time, or kids (at least kids don't know any better, but my anxiety doesn't rationalize so well at times). I know we've often missed things we both wanted to do because I've hit my limit for the day. DAS should help. I hope you have a great trip!!

I can relate to this so much. I have yet to try for DAS and also have just tried to manage it on my own. We take frequent breaks. I'm fortunate that I know when the pressure is starting to get overwhelming, and we exit the park and go back to the room until it passes. Lines can be the worst, especially when people can't respect personal space and smack into you all the time, or kids (at least kids don't know any better, but my anxiety doesn't rationalize so well at times). I know we've often missed things we both wanted to do because I've hit my limit for the day. DAS should help. I hope you have a great trip!!

Those are my worries as well. I’ll let you know how it goes. We leave in a week I’m so excited and nervous at the same time

I know it sounds crazy but I’m nervous typing this out. I don’t want to look like I’m trying to rig any system.
Oh my goodness. My situation is different from yours and on the physical side, but.... yes. I totally, 100% get this. I recently joined an organization I thought might be able to help me in some ways, but I felt like I didn't really qualify, and was SO afraid that I was taking advantage of something I shouldn't. I posted about it in depth in the "community" section here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/something-new-and-different-for-me.3920541/

I have a feeling you might be like me and feel like you're "on the border." You can generally "deal" and maybe you feel like you're "not as bad as some people." So here are a few things to remember.

1. The worst they can say is that you don't qualify. Then you do what you've done in the past, OR even better, since you're getting the help you need, you find some new coping mechanisms. But hopefully don't don't even need to worry about a "plan B."

2. If you qualify for DAS, you qualify for DAS and you don't need to worry about "rigging" the system. THEY are the ones who said you qualify, not you. And you don't have to defend yourself to anyone.

3. That may not alleviate feeling like you NEED to explain/defend, and it may not even totally eliminate the feeling like there's something they "missed" and you shouldn't really qualify. But it doesn't change the fact that you don't need to defend yourself.

4. As @mamabunny likes to say, you are using a tool. If you needed glasses and an ophthalmologist told you you "qualified" for glasses, you'd use them, right? DAS is the same thing. It's a tool. It's not an entitlement, it's not a "skip the line" pass, and it's nothing to feel bad about using any more than needing glasses is something to feel bad about. And... let's be honest. It's not something you'd ask about if you didn't feel lit would help you right? So... I know it's MUCH easier said than done, but please don't worry that you're taking advantage of something you shouldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter