DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I just feel blindsided by this change and it's really stressing me out. I wish the best to you and your DD!
I just wanted to say that I keep reading comments like yours where people are so scared because they are facing the unknown of this change, and it makes me so sad for all those who are really fearful. . As someone who has a cast member in the family… just please know that no one at Disney wants you or your loved ones to not have what they need to enjoy their vacation.
There will be accommodations for all who need them, and if one accommodation doesn’t work for you then I’m sure they will be willing to try others. This change is not about “punishing “ people it is about making sure that the accommodations work for the challenges that need them, while at the same time keeping the flow of the LLs vrs standby lines a the maximum efficiency .
But they will work with everyone to make sure that you have the right tools to assist you.

I just wanted to say that I keep reading comments like yours where people are so scared because they are facing the unknown of this change, and it makes me so sad for all those who are really fearful. . As someone who has a cast member in the family… just please know that no one at Disney wants you or your loved ones to not have what they need to enjoy their vacation.
There will be accommodations for all who need them, and if one accommodation doesn’t work for you then I’m sure they will be willing to try others. This change is not about “punishing “ people it is about making sure that the accommodations work for the challenges that need them, while at the same time keeping the flow of the LLs vrs standby lines a the maximum efficiency .
But they will work with everyone to make sure that you have the right tools to assist you.
I understand the need for the change, I just didn't expect to feel so strongly about it and so stressed. I know me and my limitations and this service was helpful for me. I hope I can convey that well enough to be offered some assistance.

I understand why people feel this way… and as someone who has been to the parks with a severely autistic individual and also with

I agree that since Disney encourages it, it is not wrong for people to do. But as someone who was been to the parks with a DAS user and without … I do understand how those guests waiting in the physical standby line might feel as though the DAS user is getting an “advantage”. Because those in the standby line can only experience the one attraction the are waiting for. They are unable to wait in two lines at once, or to have a meal while waiting to ride a ride. In order for the non DAS holding guest to do that they would have to pay to do it with genie plus… where the DAS holder gets that perk for free.
Again, I’m not saying it is “wrong” since Disney encourages it… but I totally understand how people could view this as Disney offering the DAS holder an “elevated” experience…
And I can totally see how it would encourage people to lie to get a pass that would let them double their rides.
Not judging anyone who does this.. just saying I see it from both sides .
A great teacher experience:

Our DS needed an Ipad to help communicate during his early school years. Once when I had dropped by to give his lunchbag that he forgot.; one classmate blurted out 'I Wish I had an ipad like him to play with!' The teacher calmly responded 'honey, you know he needs it to communicate at all and know that you really wouldn't want to have to depend on it as the only way to be successful to interact'.

Kid had a great learning moment and it took. She was his bestie for following years and now a SpEd teacher herself.

Not all heros wear capes.

I understand the need for the change, I just didn't expect to feel so strongly about it and so stressed. I know me and my limitations and this service was helpful for me. I hope I can convey that well enough to be offered some assistance.
I know. But please know that they aren’t trying to get to say the wrong thing or do a “gotcha” kind of moment. They want to help everyone who needs it. But I understand how hard this must be for those who have always assumed it would be the same . I really feel confident that they will help to find solutions that will fit. Virtual hugs to you and your daughter :)

Since we might start seeing some real reports Saturday, I hope Disney will also fully update the website then with all the details.
I agree that it's likely they will start to update with more details on the date the new program starts to affect people in the 30 day before the new program goes live.

They may not post all exact accommodations that will be offered and just post more general information of different types of accommodations for different types of needs. If they are individualizing accommodations based on needs, they may start with the more general accommodations and then add other things to individualize

A great teacher experience:

Our DS needed an Ipad to help communicate during his early school years. Once when I had dropped by to give his lunchbag that he forgot.; one classmate blurted out 'I Wish I had an ipad like him to play with!' The teacher calmly responded 'honey, you know he needs it to communicate at all and know that you really wouldn't want to have to depend on it as the only way to be successful to interact'.

Kid had a great learning moment and it took. She was his bestie for following years and now a SpEd teacher herself.

Not all heros wear capes.
Had the same experience when DD and a friend went to a museum that involved a lot of walking so DD was in her wheelchair. After several hours of walking the friend said something to the effect of "I wish I could ride in a wheelchair like DD". DH pulled her aside and explained why she needed the wheelchair and all of the ways she's limited in doing things that the friend could do with ease. Then he explained how her condition included many medical appointments and therapies that took up a lot of her time and energy. Was a real learning moment and a great lesson in appreciating we all have different needs and struggles that aren't always easy to see, because all she saw at the time was her friend had it easier than her. I think more people need that lesson.

Whatever accommodations folks are given I hope that once folks get them there isn't as much over sharing as there has been in this thread. Abusers will just use it to get it themselves and it will just start all over again.

There is a fine line between being helpful to others and accidentally writing a script. :(

There will be accommodations for all who need them, and if one accommodation doesn’t work for you then I’m sure they will be willing to try others
I hear you. It’s just that, Disney being Disney, once again put out a release that was poorly written

Via first read, willing to bet most people feel that only DD/autism is included. Believe that is what triggered many people

in turn, partially to blame for an immediate us against them, my needs are greater etc thing

Didnt have to be that way.

Last edited:
Whatever accommodations folks are given I hope that once folks get them there isn't as much over sharing as there has been in this thread. Abusers will just use it to get it themselves and it will just start all over again.

There is a fine line between being helpful to others and accidentally writing a script. :(
In that case, to anyone wanting free Genie+, DAS was determined by the interviewing CM to be the right accommodation for me after I told her that I love waiting in lines & can't wait to get back to Disney to hop into the longest line I could find. Bonus points if it was RotR after a lengthy breakdown.

I agree that working on the abuse first is easier than trying to solve hyperuse (for lack of a better term).

Honestly, if Disney can send to your account your ride pictures via MagicBand, they can track when you enter a stand-by line.

Just to make it clear, I don't think anyone doing this currently is abusing the system, I think the system is flawed and that is on Disney. I also think that if someone buys Genie+ (DAS guest or no DAS guest) then they should be able to use it regardless of anything else, so a DAS guest booking rides with both DAS and Genie+ is perfectly within their right to do so, after all DAS is supposed to be stand-by.

I disagree with those that say DAS users should wait in a room. The point of DAS is that guests can take care of their needs somewhere dif than the queue. So eating, shopping, walking, sitting, bathroom are all things that do that.

I do believe though, that being able to be in two stand-by lines at the same time is part of why it is so attractive to abusers (ABUSERS, not hyperusers or other legit DAS guests). I don't know the solution to this. Maybe it's not letting folks with a DAS return access a dif stand-by line, maybe it's not letting them in if the stand-by line is longer than 20 min, maybe Disney won't do anything so they can pixie-dust DAS guests. It's up to them to decide.

I think at the end of the day we are all simply trying to blue sky solutions on how to make DAS better for those that need it to do Disney Parks.
Agreed. The point of the DAS is to allow people who can’t wait in a crowded loud tight space ..the ability to wait elsewhere.
So it would be totally counterproductive to force them to wait in a crowded room… while it might work for some with challenges that don’t involve sensory issues, it would be a nightmare for those with ASD challenges. And a logistical headache for Disney. How would they know who was in the room and who wasn’t and who was part of their party.. and who needed to leave to get food or drinks or Use the bathroom… not to mention the fact I don’t know that I can think of an attraction that has a waiting room?
I have been to universal with a family member and his service dog, and universal allowed some in our party to wait in the child swap area with the dog and then swap out and ride..but I am pretty sure Disney doesn’t have the space for that?
And like I said in another post, I get why the ability to have a place in the standby line and be riding other rides for free doesn’t seem fair to those without that option.
I think Disney sees that is a valid complaint of non DAS guests and one way to remedy that is to limit the amount of those with special needs who are not waiting in the standby lines. Another is to make genie plus more user friendly .. and I think they are looking at ways to do both of those things.
Please note… I am absolutely certain that Disney will offer accommodations to all who need them, even if they change a bit as to how those guests access the attractions. Disney wants happy guests :)

@lanejudy and I normally try to remove language that could be used as scripts and notify the poster about why.
But, with an average of almost 18 pages on this thread per day, we've been too busy to keep up with that.

I really wish people would stop with the generalized finger pointing of oversharing and just say what they feel is over sharing so we can go back and edit posts. Makes it easier on the mods and less stressful on all the posters wondering if it's them. If it's me, tell me, and then tell me what part could be used to get DAS and I am happy to use that edit button.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the disability system only accessible for three rides per day? Also, from what I’ve seen lately there’s a lot of standing in the lightning lanes. Therefore, I’m not understanding some of the reactions how they’re gonna cancel their annual passes over this.?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the disability system only accessible for three rides per day? Also, from what I’ve seen lately there’s a lot of standing in the lightning lanes. Therefore, I’m not understanding some of the reactions how they’re gonna cancel their annual passes over this.?
DAS is usable at any ride with a standby line or VQ if the VQ is already reserved, there is no limits on how many rides the DAS user can use the pass on in a day. From Disney's website for WDW:

Guests registered in the DAS program can make return time selections in the My Disney Experience mobile app on the day of their park visit.

Any member of a DAS party can obtain a return time for the whole party, but the Guest registered for DAS must be present and experience the attraction when the DAS return time is redeemed. DAS return times are valid until the park closes or an attraction closes for the day. A party can only hold one DAS return time at once.

Guests without a mobile device can also visit Guest Relations or a Guest Experience Team location to receive return times.

It sounds like you are referring to DAS pre-selects:

After you’ve registered for DAS, a Cast Member will assist you in booking up to 2 one-hour return windows per day for select experiences.

These were given as an incentive to pre-register online ahead of your vacation and may or may not be going away with the change over May 20.

The DAS pass for a ride is redeemed by going through the LL. Not sure about why people are claiming their AP will be canceled unless they were knowingly faking a condition to receive approval of a DAS.

I hear you. It’s just that, Disney being Disney, once again put out a release that was poorly written

Via first read, willing to bet most people feel that only DD/autism is included. Believe that is what triggered many people

in turn, partially to blame for an immediate us against them, my needs are greater etc thing

Honestly, I'm surprised Disney included "development disability like autism or similar" because as far as I can remember with GAC and then reading about DAS several months ago, nothing about a particular disability had been mentioned.

Agreed. Disney also put themselves in this position by handing out the same accommodations for all needs. So now anyone that doesn’t get what they feel is the “better accommodation” will now feel slighted.
I was talking to the family member who works for them yesterday and he and I were both surprised that Disney didn’t just say:

“there is too much abuse, we are getting rid of the DAS pass all together. There will be different accommodations for EVERYONE with special needs going forward, talk to us and let us know how we can assist you”…

Then no one feels like they are being “downgraded” as everyone is getting something new.

He was saying his understanding is that due to the court case that mainly was brought by those with autism/DDs they were hesitant to appear as though they might be pulling those accommodations .

Honestly, I'm surprised Disney included "development disability like autism or similar" because as far as I can remember with GAC and then reading about DAS several months ago, nothing about a particular disability had been mentioned.

I'm sure it was added this time because there was a VERY long running lawsuit, which Disney ultimately won. It was started by a group of families of autistic individuals who said they needed to have immediate access to any attraction at any time and would not be able to use DAS.
The lawsuit was in the works before DAS was introduced and many of the families didn't even try it to see if it would work

I understand why people feel this way… and as someone who has been to the parks with a severely autistic individual and also with

I agree that since Disney encourages it, it is not wrong for people to do. But as someone who was been to the parks with a DAS user and without … I do understand how those guests waiting in the physical standby line might feel as though the DAS user is getting an “advantage”. Because those in the standby line can only experience the one attraction the are waiting for. They are unable to wait in two lines at once, or to have a meal while waiting to ride a ride. In order for the non DAS holding guest to do that they would have to pay to do it with genie plus… where the DAS holder gets that perk for free.
Again, I’m not saying it is “wrong” since Disney encourages it… but I totally understand how people could view this as Disney offering the DAS holder an “elevated” experience…
And I can totally see how it would encourage people to lie to get a pass that would let them double their rides.
Not judging anyone who does this.. just saying I see it from both sides .
You have to remember, just because its possible to wait in 2 lines together it doesn't mean most users are back to back riding rides. I think people are assuming a "no problems" type of day where they can ride back to back to back the entire day.

I think the suggestion of cancelling a DAS if you place a mobile order or step into a standby line is ignoring that some people with disabilities may need a break. Maybe they grabbed a DAS and then needed to rest and went to get something to eat. The DAS time became valid and the person still waited another 30-45 minutes after that time to rest in the restaurant. Or get into a standby line and then go back to the hotel to rest, not using that DAS return time for another 3 or 4 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter