Dancing With the Stars - Spring 2017

Oh he'll definitely be ranked 3rd, but I don't think by much.

How are the scores & votes composited?
I'm not entirely sure, but I think they combine scores and votes from yesterday with the scores and votes from next Monday's show. I don't think they will announce the 3rd place finisher until the finale show.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they combine scores and votes from yesterday with the scores and votes from next Monday's show. I don't think they will announce the 3rd place finisher until the finale show.
I thought they cut it down to two at the end of Monday's show. Then on Tuesday, they combine the caller votes with the judges scores to get the winner. And everyone who was on this season comes back and does a short dance. That's why it takes two hours.

How are the scores & votes composited?

I think it's 50/50. Half judge scores and half popular vote. If the judges give close scores to the finalist, and DR is as popular as it seems, he could win.

Again, I'm not so sure about that. I think he's going to be a bigger "spoiler" than he already is. Cubbie Nation is HUGE and Rossy has been very personable and, more importantly, not terrible so he's also been getting a lot of non-baseball votes. I think the Pure DWTS hatred of Val clouds their vision and they are pinning all the hope on Rashad.

I thought they cut it down to two at the end of Monday's show. Then on Tuesday, they combine the caller votes with the judges scores to get the winner. And everyone who was on this season comes back and does a short dance. That's why it takes two hours.
Did they say that on the show? I always forget what they do at the end so I peeked back at previous shows through the WIKI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_with_the_Stars_(U.S._season_24) (go to the bottom to find links to previous seasons) and it seems that all three dancers were always there on the second day of the finals. I believe that they all dance their freestyle dance, the judges score and the audience gets to vote one more time.

I think it's 50/50. Half judge scores and half popular vote. If the judges give close scores to the finalist, and DR is as popular as it seems, he could win.
Yup. The judges will have to judge him very, very low for him to be #3.

They've changed it up a few times over the years.

This is how they've done it in the past a couple times. But, last year, I distinctly remember that they kept Ginger around to the bitter end. I remember screaming my head off, "YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! THERE IS A GOD!!!!"
hapydancsmil.gif%7Eoriginal
while typing their names into the computer that she came in THIRD. I was so unprepared for it, because I thought for sure she'd be announced the winner. And I remember marveling that I could type & be yelling something different at the same time. :upsidedow

No, it's not 50/50. They changed that when Bristol Palin made it to the Finals. The producers didn't want their DANCE show hijacked for political reasons, or some other reason, so they introduced that the judges get one more final vote to make sure that the winners won because of dancing. So that's why they get an extra vote on Tues. The math for voting became so convoluted that Tom had to point to some chart they created to show how the voting worked out. I never could figure it out, but I assumed the math would have been called out to be incorrect, if it is. So I *think* the judges get 60% for the scoring, if not more.

The judges USUALLY just score everyone equally the same, so their votes probably don't change anything. But, it definitely did for Bristol as they only gave her 8s while the other two contestants got 9s & 10s. The only other time that I can recall that they didn't vote the same for each couple was when Ginger screwed up and they had to mark her down. And there may be one other time where they didn't score them all the same.

it seems that all three dancers were always there on the second day of the finals. I believe that they all dance their freestyle dance, the judges score and the audience gets to vote one more time.

I think the Freestyle is done on Monday night. That is our last chance to vote. They even close down the online voting several hours earlier the next day, so they can tally all the votes. The judges get one more vote on Tues, just before they announce the winner. - which is why I usually don't tune it till about 15 min before the end.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure the DWTS Juniors is a good idea. Once the novelty drops off, it may get stale quickly.

Don't be so sure of these things. It's clear you haven't watched the show very much. Early on, some of us used to think this show wouldn't last beyond the novelty, and it's lasted 24 seasons.

And the voting for this show is quite different from high school and other dance competitions. There are other factors that come into play. Other pro competition ballroom dancers as well as others who read and post to Pure DWTS. I'm surprised you don't know about that already being a pro ballroom dancer yourself. As Robin says below:

Again, I'm not so sure about that. I think he's going to be a bigger "spoiler" than he already is. Cubbie Nation is HUGE and Rossy has been very personable and, more importantly, not terrible so he's also been getting a lot of non-baseball votes. I think the Pure DWTS hatred of Val clouds their vision and they are pinning all the hope on Rashad.

Last edited:

Finale is Monday/Tuesday night!

Normani and Val – Quickstep to “Check It Out” by Oh the Larceny
Freestyle – “What the World Needs Now is Love” by Andra Day
Phone 1-800-868-3410

David and Lindsay – Viennese Waltz to “Let’s Hurt Tonight” by One Republic
Freestyle – “It Takes Two”/”Take Me Out to the Ballgame” (Medley) by Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock/Ronnie Neuman
Phone 1-800-868-3404

Rashad and Emma – Viennese Waltz to “Dark Times” by The Weekend feat. Ed Sheeran
Freestyle – “Let’s Go”/”Uptown Funk” (Medley) from Drumline/Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
Phone 1-800-868-3411

In the 2-1/2 hour season finale on TUESDAY, MAY 23 (8:30-11:00 p.m. EDT), the three finalists advance to the final stage of the competition. The night kicks off with a rousing opening number, featuring a reunion of all 12 of this season’s couples, along with judges Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli, Carrie Ann Inaba and Julianne Hough, and hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews. Exciting season finale performances include Academy® Award-nominated actress Hailee Steinfeld performing her latest single, “Most Girls,” OneRepublic performing their latest hit, “No Vacancy,” alongside a dance by Sharna Burgess and Gleb Savchenko, and Lady Antebellum performing their hit song, “You Look Good,” alongside a dance with Witney Carson, Hayley Erbert, Artem Chigvintsev and Gleb Savchenko. Also, from ABC’s upcoming new adaptation of the global pop-cultural phenomenon “Dirty Dancing,” celebrating the 30th anniversary year of the iconic film, rising star Colt Prattes, who portrays Johnny, and season 10 “Dancing with the Stars” champion Nicole Scherzinger, who plays ‘Penny,” will dance to the hit song from the movie, “Do You Love Me?” The TV musical movie event airs Wednesday, May 24 (8:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. Additionally, fans will get a sneak peek at the sensational “Dancing with the Stars: Live! – Hot Summer Nights” tour that will be traveling across America over this summer.

There will also be separate girls and guys’ numbers. The girls’ number features Heather Morris and female Pros and Troupe dancing to “River” by Bishop Briggs, and the guys’ number incorporates the male Pros and Troupe dancing to “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars.

In the last element of competition, the three couples will perform a new routine as part of a 24-Hour Fusion Challenge. The couples will fuse two contrasting dance styles that they’ve performed this season, and they’ll have less than 24 hours to prepare that dance for judges’ points.

Don't be so sure of these things. It's clear you haven't watched the show very much. Early on, some of us used to think this show wouldn't last beyond the novelty, and it's lasted 24 seasons.

And the voting for this show is quite different from high school and other dance competitions. There are other factors that come into play. Other pro competition ballroom dancers as well as others who read and post to Pure DWTS. I'm surprised you don't know about that already being a pro ballroom dancer yourself. As Robin says below:

I'm well aware of Pure DWTS. They still charge a membership, correct? It's still something I refuse to pay for.

A lot of pros are involved in a private FB group regarding DWTS... a lot of it is humor related though. We are more brutal than Len Goodman. :angel:

Finale is Monday/Tuesday night!

Normani and Val – Quickstep to “Check It Out” by Oh the Larceny
Freestyle – “What the World Needs Now is Love” by Andra Day
Phone 1-800-868-3410

I am not even sure what besides a Waltz they can do for their fusion/freestyle dance. Unless it is remixed heavily.

David and Lindsay – Viennese Waltz to “Let’s Hurt Tonight” by One Republic
Freestyle – “It Takes Two”/”Take Me Out to the Ballgame” (Medley) by Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock/Ronnie Neuman
Phone 1-800-868-3404

I'm not even sure how'd you mix hip hop music to organ music for their fusion/freestyle. It could be fun or... just a, "WHAT?" reaction.

Rashad and Emma – Viennese Waltz to “Dark Times” by The Weekend feat. Ed Sheeran
Freestyle – “Let’s Go”/”Uptown Funk” (Medley) from Drumline/Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
Phone 1-800-868-3411

I can't even find the first song of their fusion/freestyle here. Anyone?

I wish that Rossy and Rashad were doing different dances. This way viewers will compare them head to head leaving Nomani with her own type of dance. Definitely not fair.

I love Rossy's songs, though. I just listened to "Let's Hurt Tonight" and it's a great waltz song. I am relying on Lindsay to make her freestyle choice song of "It Takes Two" work. I think it will because it's the upbeat/fun kind of song that Rossy does best ... puls she added a little "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"!

I do think Rashad got a harder song with "Dark Times", so maybe they're throwing Rossy a bone. I do think that Rashad pulled the short straw on songs ... but I CANNOT WAIT to see him dance to "Uptown Funk". That song always makes me groove.

Of course, "Check it Out" is a perfect quickstep song for Normani. *sigh*. I wonder how Val's going to sex-pot up "What the World Needs Now is Love". It's such a sweet song but I envision some contemporary ballroom grinding which will completely ruin it.

I wish that Rossy and Rashad were doing different dances. This way viewers will compare them head to head leaving Nomani with her own type of dance. Definitely not fair.

I love Rossy's songs, though. I just listened to "Let's Hurt Tonight" and it's a great waltz song. I am relying on Lindsay to make her freestyle choice song of "It Takes Two" work. I think it will because it's the upbeat/fun kind of song that Rossy does best ... puls she added a little "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"!

I do think Rashad got a harder song with "Dark Times", so maybe they're throwing Rossy a bone. I do think that Rashad pulled the short straw on songs ... but I CANNOT WAIT to see him dance to "Uptown Funk". That song always makes me groove.

Of course, "Check it Out" is a perfect quickstep song for Normani. *sigh*. I wonder how Val's going to sex-pot up "What the World Needs Now is Love". It's such a sweet song but I envision some contemporary ballroom grinding which will completely ruin it.

"Let's Hurt Tonight" is considerably faster in tempo than "Dark Times" though. I think Rossy actually got the more difficult choice... But then again it all depends on how it is cut!

All I can think of with Rossy's Freestyle song is the Target commercial that used it with Carly Rae Jepsen and Little Yachty:rotfl:

It doesn't matter what Rashad does, using Bruno's song is sheer genius by Emma (does the Pro choose it?) . You don't get that song out of your head..people will vote. Like you said Robin, it makes you groove, others will too. I bet lots of people wait and vote based only on the freestyle. This could be huge for him.

I also think a lot of viewers are pulling for a no experience dancer to finally win it, which will work against Normani. I also don't think she picked up many of Simone's voters. Those fans were NOT happy and prob just didn't vote for anyone.

I am probably 100% wrong but I DO fall into the *hoping a no experience dancer wins* category. Heck yeah I am hoping for David and Lindsay and I REALLY hope at least one judge gives him a 10 , but if it isn't him I hope it's Rashad.
*disclaimer of comments before seeing finale, lol

Last edited:
They've changed it up a few times over the years.

This is how they've done it in the past a couple times. But, last year, I distinctly remember that they kept Ginger around to the bitter end. I remember screaming my head off, "YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! THERE IS A GOD!!!!"
hapydancsmil.gif%7Eoriginal
while typing their names into the computer that she came in THIRD. I was so unprepared for it, because I thought for sure she'd be announced the winner. And I remember marveling that I could type & be yelling something different at the same time. :upsidedow

No, it's not 50/50. They changed that when Bristol Palin made it to the Finals. The producers didn't want their DANCE show hijacked for political reasons, or some other reason, so they introduced that the judges get one more final vote to make sure that the winners won because of dancing. So that's why they get an extra vote on Tues. The math for voting became so convoluted that Tom had to point to some chart they created to show how the voting worked out. I never could figure it out, but I assumed the math would have been called out to be incorrect, if it is. So I *think* the judges get 60% for the scoring, if not more.

The judges USUALLY just score everyone equally the same, so their votes probably don't change anything. But, it definitely did for Bristol as they only gave her 8s while the other two contestants got 9s & 10s. The only other time that I can recall that they didn't vote the same for each couple was when Ginger screwed up and they had to mark her down. And there may be one other time where they didn't score them all the same.
well if the did it to Bristol you KNOW they are going to do it to David. As they already have..Rashad was no way THAT much better than David last week. So they overscored Rashad or underscored David, or both.

I am not even sure what besides a Waltz they can do for their fusion/freestyle dance. Unless it is remixed heavily.

I'm not even sure how'd you mix hip hop music to organ music for their fusion/freestyle. It could be fun or... just a, "WHAT?" reaction.

first thing popped into my head was Lets Go Crazy by Prince, lol....unless it's the ACTUAL drum cadence of Let's Go?:confused3

"Let's Hurt Tonight" is considerably faster in tempo than "Dark Times" though. I think Rossy actually got the more difficult choice... But then again it all depends on how it is cut!
Hmmm ... I thought it was the exact opposite and "Dark Times" was faster. I don't know either song particularly well, though.

Hmmm ... I thought it was the exact opposite and "Dark Times" was faster. I don't know either song particularly well, though.

Who knows which version they'll end up using. The versions I found of the song, "Dark Times" was slower by about 10-15 percent. I also did find another version of the song which was as fast, and had a very pronounced Viennese Waltz beat to it. You never know which version they'll put on TV.

Normal cuts of the songs, I think "Let's Hurt Tonight" has the Waltz beat easier to identify though.

The Freestyle dance is a totally separate and different dance than the Fusion dance. The Freestyle is Monday night. You may have gotten confused because the men are each doing a two song mashup, that the Fusion dance is mixed with the Freestyle dance. The Freestyle means they can do whatever they want for their freestyle. It's the song the star gets to pick, (as long as they get the rights to do it,) and it is supposed to be the song that most represents them, or what they are about, or what message they want to give us. It's often the most important dance of the competition as that one song can determine who who wins and who comes in third. Had Simone made it to the Finals, she could have done gymnastics as part of her Freestyle.

The Fusion dance will be on Tues. It is the final dance that the judges vote for before their votes are added onto Monday nites votes and the winners are announced.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter