Dad helps son survive at sea with Disney slogans

LisainCalifornia

DIS Veteran
I didn't know if this has been posted yet, but I saw this family on the Today show this morning and wanted to share it with you all.

A father and son (the son is autistic) were lost at sea, treading water for many hours. The child is not very verbal, but the dad kept connected to him by shouting out his favorite lines from Disney movies---like "to infinity and beyond!". His son would shout back the slogan. This went on for many hours until they so far apart that the father could no longer hear the answer of his son.

Thankfully they were both rescued. What do you want to bet a trip to disney will be in their future?;)

Story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26639098?GT1=43001

I didn't know if this has been posted yet, but I saw this family on the Today show this morning and wanted to share it with you all.

A father and son (the son is autistic) were lost at sea, treading water for many hours. The child is not very verbal, but the dad kept connected to him by shouting out his favorite lines from Disney movies---like "to infinity and beyond!". His son would shout back the slogan. This went on for many hours until they so far apart that the father could no longer hear the answer of his son.

Thankfully they were both rescued. What do you want to bet a trip to disney will be in their future?;)

Story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26639098?GT1=43001

I was thinking the same thing - I HOPE Disney gets wind of this story - perhaps someone saw it on the Today Show - and gives them a free, all expenses paid trip to WDW or something, with a shopping spree included - the works. That is precious! Smart thinking on dad's part, too - many parents would be so frantic or in shock in that situation that they wouldn't think to do that. I am not sure how I would handle being lost at sea. Someone might have to start shouting Disney lines and songs at ME! I am so glad they are both okay!

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't heard this. That is so sad, but I'm so glad it was a happy ending! I was crying, reading it, though! I just want to ask the dad why he didn't grab onto the kid! I guess maybe because they were treading water? I would be freaking out overnight in the ocean with my child missing! It's just unthinkable!

Had the same thought, Disney should go out of their way to do something for this family. Having an autistic niece and nephew I can definitely see my brother doing this in this type of situation. I almost lost it when reading the "To Infinity" from the Dad followed by "And Beyond" by the son with his fist in the air imitating Buzz Lightyear. Great story!

WOW! That was a really amazing story. Fourteen hours of treading water. That is a miracle! Thank goodness they are safe. I'm glad that father and son thought of a (Disney) way to get them through the darkness. I would have panicked at that point. After watching the movie Open Water, I am scared to death of going out in the ocean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter