D23 Expo and the panels!

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by F_abian, Jan 10, 2019.

1. F_abian

F_abian Earning My Ears

This is my first time going to D23 expo and I was wondering if any of you have any tips for first timers. As well as tips and supplies I need to bring or should bring if I want to camp out for one of the panels or if it’s even necessary to camp out for the panels. Thank you!

2. HydroGuy

HydroGuy A Pirate's Life For Me

1. Bring reading material and plan to for many waits in long lines. Everyone around you is a Disney fan so make friends, talk, and/or read or listen to music (ear buds), etc.

2. Get there EARLY each day if possible. Like 4AM or 5AM early.

3. Bring snack food.

4. Get lunch or dinner early or late when the lines are not as bad.

5. Get a collapsible chair.

6. Bring a sweater (cold rooms a lot of the time)

7. Figure out beforehand (once they announce an agenda) what you want to do. Be prepared to be only able to do half of it.

:wizard:

MommyLove likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

If you plan to go to the live action panel which will likely be Saturday morning you will need to camp overnight in the waiting hall at the convention center.

5. wingednike

wingednike Mouseketeer

I'm a lazy convention-goer and go with the flow. Download the D23 Expo app when it is available to help plan things out.

The schedule may not be out for a while, but in general the Disney Legends panel in on the first day and the Parks and the Movies panel is on the second day. Those are the panels that usually have overnight lines.

There are many, many things to see and do. Don't try to do them all or you will be overwhelmed.

6. adamreisinger

adamreisinger 10+ Year Castmember

I'm a longtime convention-goer (SDCC, NYCC multiple times, countless others...) but 2017 was my first D23 experience. My helpful hints for making it an enjoyable and not frustrating weekend:

- Expect LONG Days. Like starting before 5 a.m. and not ending until well after the convention has closed for the night (especially if you're planning on visiting the park too).
    - Once the full convention schedule is published, try to identify the ONE thing each day that you'd be upset if you missed and plan your day around that. If it's one of the big panels (parks, live action, animation), expect that to take up at least half your day, if not more.
    - As people have said, if you plan on being in the audience for the first panel in the large hall on the first or second day, then plan on camping out overnight leading into it. Other panels might not need a full overnight campout, but will still require a lot of line time.
    - This will almost seem counter to my previous three tips, but if you're NOT going to one of the main hall panels, and there's nothing in the morning that you absolutely must do, consider showing up late. The morning lines moved very slowly as thousands of people piled into the convention hall and more people kept getting in line behind them. This is basically what happened to me on the first day of the show, where I showed up an hour before the show opened, and didn't get in until almost two hours later. On the third day of the show, I waited until about 2 hours after the show opened (taking advantage of the extra time to catch up on sleep), then literally walked right in -- and in fact walked right into Alan Menken's one-man show in the main hall, without waiting in line for that either.

Again, just know that you will NOT be able to do everything -- it's literally impossible, with so many panels happening simultaneously -- but with some planning and some patience, you'll be able to do a lot, and you'll have a fun time.

7. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Do your research, even up to the last minute! Rules can change, things happen, D23 has to adjust on the fly, etc. -- so be prepared to research, research, research... and then go with the flow! Keep up with these boards to get the latest news. For example, bring snacks (especially if you have any dietary needs), but be prepared for security to make you throw everything away. That happened to a few people last year. D23 said the snacks and water would be allowed. Convention Center security said no way, no how. Go figure -- that's just part of the Expo experience! This year, I hope the rules will be more clear and more consistent -- but, as an Expo survivor, I'm realistic, too. :) (And I have the scars to prove it!)
    We've had posters here who did no research, just showed up expecting who knows what, and then posted enraged rants when their expectations didn't happen. You're off to a great start by asking here early and you're getting advice from some of the best, as evidenced above!

8. OhioStateBuckeye

OhioStateBuckeye DIS Veteran

HydroGuy likes this.