D23 EXPO 2019 - dates announced!

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by ashley0139, Mar 26, 2018.

1. ashley0139

ashley0139 DIS Veteran

2. Mathmagicland

Mathmagicland Disneyland - the original since 1955

Thanks for starting the thread. . This seems later in the summer than the past couple of expos. I had expected July again. Wonder if it has something to do with the planned openings of Star Wars galaxy’s edge in 2019.... no timing or resource conflicts with a late summer expo.

Simba001, ashley0139 and soniam like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. OhioStateBuckeye

OhioStateBuckeye DIS Veteran

I'm in!

I'm actually very excited with the later dates, my family is going to Africa in the middle of June. If D23 had been in July I don't know if I could have managed both.

ashley0139 and soniam like this.
  5. bluefunnel

bluefunnel Mouseketeer

I'm definitely going again, though August is a terrible time for me to take off of work(they'll get over it).

disney789 likes this.
  6. ajrwdwgirl

ajrwdwgirl DIS Veteran

I'm a little nervous about about the later dates because it might run into teacher in-service at the start of our school year, but I should at least be able to be there for the Saturday and Sunday days. I am excited that dates have finally been announced.

7. SgtTibbs

SgtTibbs RunDisney'er

Is the D23 Expo a hard ticket to get if you are D23 gold? Can I assume if I go Gold I'll get in, or is this a San Diego Comic Con lottery type thing?

8. beachdreamr1229

beachdreamr1229 DIS Veteran

I'm kind of bummed with the later dates. I'm a teacher and we go back to school the week before the expo, so I can't really take time off that early in the school year. I might just go for 1 day this time.

9. soniam

soniam Wooden leg named Smith...

I'm bummed about the later dates. We were planning a family vacation around it, but DS will be back to school then. I guess it's a solo trip for me, which maybe isn't all that bad;)

OhioStateBuckeye likes this.
  10. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

It’s not like SDCC, tickets are easy to get. Only the Sorcerers package is hard.

ashley0139 likes this.
  11. SgtTibbs

SgtTibbs RunDisney'er

I just Googled "Sorcerers Package" Oh my! That's a lot of digits in that price. It would be hard for me to justify spending the equivalent of several years worth of Disneyland Annual Passes on the Expo.

12. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

Yep, and they sell out right away! ::yes::

:wizard:

gottalovepluto likes this.
  13. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

Woah. Just... woah. Although I did read a compelling bit about how much time it saves you making in worth it for those who can afford it. So if you can afford it and want the most out of D23 I can see why they sell out! (At least based on my extensive knowledge gleaned from <60 seconds of reading Google ;) )

14. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

What are prices this year? Like $2500?

You may be able to compensate this way: you can stay at a cheaper hotel, farther away. Because you can come late and still get in. So you save money there. If you value your sleep, you can sleep a full night all three nights. At the last expo I had to get up at like 4AM in Day 1 and at 3AM on Day 2 (so I could get into the queue for the Live Action Movies. I made it. But I was sleepy!)

Some people use their time to get into the premium collectors merchandise. If you are so inclined, you can resell that later online and make some of the money back.

Even with all that, I still cannot see paying that much!

:wizard:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    ashley0139 and gottalovepluto like this.
  15. ej119

ej119 Mouseketeer

MiceChat published an interview with the VP of D23, Michael Vargo, on what to expect in 2019
    http://micechat.com/188648-d23-michael-vargo-expo-2019/

Not a lot there, but I'm most interested in his comments on StagePass and StorePass. I might be reading too much into his remarks, but I expect that we will have a paid version (similar to MaxPass) next year.

He also remarks that only three of the 50 shows/panels in 2017 were at capacity -- which of course were the three most sought-after ones. ;)

soniam and Mathmagicland like this.
  16. wingednike

wingednike Mouseketeer

17. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

So glad the dates are back in August! Thanks for posting this, ashley!

ashley0139 likes this.
  18. queenofheartsfan

queenofheartsfan Mouseketeer

Very cool! Thanks for the info!!

ashley0139 likes this.
  19. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

funatdisney likes this.
  20. lurkergirl

lurkergirl Mouseketeer

The 2017 dates were earlier than the expo had ever been held, there was a lot of speculation that it was due to a scheduling conflict with the ACC from a gymnastics thing - if I'm recalling correctly.

It doesn't surprise me that only three of the panels were "full" - loading always takes soooo long that a lot of the panels actually start before everyone is seated. :rotfl:

ashley0139 likes this.
  21. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

This is like a class reunion! I love seeing all the familiar names back in the thread. :)
    *Feels like we should be passing around drinks and snacks*

ej119, Simba001, ashley0139 and 2 others like this.