Curves? Gym membership? Ahh!

nocomment711

Ces Soirees-La
Anyone a member of Curves? I'm trying to figure out if that would be worth it to join. I'm already a part of WW, but I might need a little coaching in the exercise area.

Any tips?

I did Curves for about a year. It is good for a beginner, but once you get more advanced it loses its appeal. I did like the Zumba circuit, but that cost extra. Good luck! :goodvibes

It bugs me that I have to go in for a consultation to get prices. I called up for prices and they quoted me the cost per month for a year. I don't wanna commit to a year, especially after what you said...

I worked for Curves. Some offer a 3 or 6 month contract, but most just want that 12-month commitment. I do agree that the workout can get boring, but I also believe that its possible to get in a good, challenging workout if youre willing to push yourself. The circuit works for a wide range of fitness levels, which is why its so good for beginners - it can grow with you. The employees are what really make or break the place. If youre looking for coaching, that might be your best bet. But first be sure you like the coaches at your Curves, because they will become a big part of your health journey.

My advice would be for you to shop around & get a feel for what type of gym experience is for you. Most gyms offer a trial membership or "3 free workouts." Good luck!

I was offered a free workout, and I want the support, but I'm notorious for obsessing over something for a month or two, then giving in. I'm hoping that this isn't one of them.

Haha! Me too. But I prefer to call it, "zest for life." I would look for a gym with contracts that are less strict. Maybe you can find an actual month to month membership, and probably for much less $$. I cant tell you how many women I saw get trapped into contracts they couldnt afford or no longer wanted. Thats why I stuck to the coaching end & refused management.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

It seems like all the gyms in the area are expensive. Boo.

)=

:confused3

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

It seems like all the gyms in the area are expensive. Boo.

)=

:confused3

What about a walking or running group? I joined a local Galloway group that has an interval group that is my pace, run/walk/run, but yet is able to challenge me also. I know there is also a walking group in my area.

This would give you a group to socialize with and a commitment to get out and move.

We have a couple of local running shops that also hold groups runs/walks that are free.

I found, for me, getting a Fitbit One gave me the motivation, or extra push that I needed to get moving! I already belong to a gym & have a yoga membership, but the Fitbit pushed me to start actually DOING instead of just intending to exercise.

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Do you have a YMCA near you? My local YMCA bases your monthly rate by your income so if you don't make as much, you don't pay as much, plus they have scholarship programs for people who are laid off and cannot find work. My YMCA offers a course called "Basic and Brief," which is like a crash-course in using the machines as a circuit, and at the end of the session they give you a free t-shirt :)

ETA: My membership is on a month-by-month basis- they ask if you decide to end your membership, you let them know by the 15th of the month prior to the month you want to end- so if I want to end my membership in March, I would have to let them know by Feb. 15th.

As for me, I love my YMCA, it has changed my life! What I like about it, is that it is an non-intimidating environment- some of the other gyms in my hometown have all these size zero chicks and body building dudes everywhere- whereas my YMCA has people of all ages, all sizes, all ethnicities, all backgrounds, so it makes me feel more comfortable to work out there!

It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A!! (LOL, OK I'll stop ;) )

Throwing this out there because I did not know it. If you have certain types of health issues such as being borderline diabetic. Some insurance will cover the membership fee. You can also use your flexible spending accounts to cover.

This. I've belonged to a GREAT Y and a LOUSY Y. They were both better than paying out the yazoo for a fancy gym membership. :-)

Yeah, I know not all YMCA's are created equal- we actually have 3 in my hometown, and yeah, the one in the inner part of downtown is pretty creepy :lmao: Seriously, I took a hip-hop class at the Downtown Y and the walls were covered in carpeting... I was like... O-KAY... LOL I only went for about 3 weeks, and I was like, let me stick to MY Y!! ;)

If you're hesitant to join a gym (and why wouldn't you be, they're expensive and frequently rip-off joints), try looking for a personal trainer or a boot camp.

You don't need to go to a gym to get fit.

Do you have any place like a Planet Fitness or Gold's Gym near you? They tend to be cheap, but don't offer extras like locker rooms or personal trainers. But maybe you could find a personal trainer elsewhere to show you the basics and then make it work on your own. Both PF and Gold's are about $10/month around here... not sure what the committment is though. Most of the Curves around here have closed. It seems like they were a bit of a "fad" that has come to the end of its life in this area. That being said, I heard lots of good things about them. I think they tend to be MUCH less intimidating than a standard gym... especially since they are for women only.

Generally a place WITHOUT the extras (pool, sauna, locker rooms) tend to be much cheaper...............P

I found another women's only gym in the area. I like it a lot better than curves. It is a tad on the expensive side, but you get discounts on massages and whatnot.

Score! You may benefit from one of those daily motivational quote email list as well, to keep you interested. Good luck & good health!

minnie11a_zps46ca6e15.gif
daisy04a_zpsd11c2b89.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!