Currency Exchange

Maineiak

Mouseketeer
For Americans traveling to Europe, what have you done for currency exchanges in advance, if any?

We'll be staying in London, then Paris before DLP. Just wondering if I should try to get cash domestically from my local bank first or just use ATMs if cash is needed in Europe.

Thoughts?

We did two weeks in Barcelona & Paris with DLP in the middle. I had some exchanged stateside (at a hefty surcharge) so that I could have some euro bills on hand upon landing. Once there, I used bank ATM's (not the free standing kind). The ATM surcharge (not always applicable) and daily exchange rate were far lower than the surcharge from the exchange bureau at home.

We are doing two weeks in Europe this summer. We are using PNC Bank to order currency prior to the trip (no transaction fee) and are using a debit card (also PNC with no fees). I suggest doing some research on your ATM debit cards because it is common for banks to charge a 3% foreign transaction fee when you withdrawal money from foreign ATMs. When we were in London a couple of years ago we mostly just used a credit card with no foreign transaction fees, I really don't remember using cash very often.

I'm from the US and I also don't get anything in advance. I use my debit card at an ATM in the airport to get a small amount to have on hand at first, then find a bank ATM to get more later on. But I also usually use credit over cash. Cash for me is really only helpful for tipping (since most places don't allow you to add a tip to a charge) or paying for small items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter