• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Curious...are there a lot of gay CM at Disneyland??

tabbycat7815

Earning My Ears
I read somewhere that there is a really high percentage of homosexual employees at Disneyland...is this true? I wonder why...

I'm not homophobic, but just curious?? I wonder if this is part of why they have had gay days at Disneyland. We ended up going there during Gay Days in 2001....it was an interesting trip with my very catholic best friend and her 7 year old daughter. We even got the "Mommy, what is a lesbian" question after she saw someone wearing an "I AM A LESBIAN" t-shirt!!!

Gay Days are not in any way, shape or form sponsered by Disney or Disneyland. They orginazation that puts on Gay Days are allowed to rent out space (Big Thunder BBQ, ballrooms, hotel space) like any other large event (conventions, MouseAdventure, etc...).

I suspect that there is not an disproproinate amount of people who are gay working for Disneyland when you compare Disney to any other entertainment industry.

I really hope you are sincere in your questions and not trying to :stir:

Very sincere in the question and definitly not trying to cause any problems or hulla-balooos....not into the drama.

I don't know why it would matter. I am sure that it is about the same as any other place of employment. I am pretty sure it is an assumption of someone to say such a thing. I don't think they had a survey where they asked are you gay or straight for their employees.

I notice more flamboyantly dresses CM's at DLR as opposed to WDW (even with the costume, the rhinestone crusted or the "big jackie O/Nicole Richie style" sunglasses on the guys working Splash Mt don't scream "conservative")....does that mean they are gay, certainly not, but certainly lacking style, IMHO ;) . I don't think you need to worry about the CM's wearing "I am a Lesbian" Tee. I think that is definately against the dress code! Your friend will be dealing with the same population of guests at DLR as she will meet on the street. There has gotta be a time for her to talk to DD about gays, but I doubt she'll have to do it after a day at DLR. She may need to explain why some folks wear black vinyl and knee high boots if you visit on Bats Day, however!

WDW has gay days as well, so I don't think you can use that as whether or not lots of CMs are gay.

I know that Gay Days at WDW happens the first week of June. When does DL have the event?

It was in September when we went in 2001. It wasn't a big deal, although I don't agree with making it a specific event.

Harmony said:
I know that Gay Days at WDW happens the first week of June. When does DL have the event?

Disneyland has Gay Days and Mini Gay Days.

Gay Days are the big huge events sponsered by a non-Disney group where a bunch of people who happen to be gay, their families, friends and anyone else of whatever sexual orientation/preference decides to go to Disneyland. They usually rent out space to hold dinners and gatherings. They are open to anyone who wants to pay to attend. They get group rates on the tickets like any other big gathering at the park.

Mini Gay Days are the same but on a lesser scale.

tabbycat7815 said:
I read somewhere that there is a really high percentage of homosexual employees at Disneyland...is this true? I wonder why...

I have heard that Disney allows Cast members to get health benefits for partners, not just spouses, which might increase the number of people working for the company.

People who attend Gay Days are completely different from people who work at the parks. I like being in the park on Gay Days, there seems to be more magic AND less complaining!

princess22 said:
People who attend Gay Days are completely different from people who work at the parks. I like being in the park on Gay Days, there seems to be more magic AND less complaining!

Thank you I completely agree with you!

I had to chuckle because we just returned and there is certainly ONE cm at splash mountain that definately is gay. I am not sure what the % is of course but I know of one lol.

Tania

princess22 said:
I have heard that Disney allows Cast members to get health benefits for partners, not just spouses, which might increase the number of people working for the company.
This is sort of true. Disney benefits are for the CMs dependents, Spouse or same sex partner. They do not provide benefits for CMs in a long term unmarried relationship if both people are of the opposite sex.

cinderella_bella said:
I had to chuckle because we just returned and there is certainly ONE cm at splash mountain that definately is gay. I am not sure what the % is of course but I know of one lol.

Tania

I am sure he wasn't the only one. But he was probably a very nice and pleasent cast member.

In all honesty, does it matter how many gay people work at Disney? They are going to give you the same respect and great service as any other cast member!

By the way, I'm as straight as can be, I just have a lot of gay CM freinds! :thumbsup2

cinderella_bella, that last post was not towards you at all, so please don't think it was! :wave:

princess22 said:
In all honesty, does it matter how many gay people work at Disney? They are going to give you the same respect and great service as any other cast member!

Thank you! I'm not sure what the whole intention of the original post was anyway. It shouldn't matter.

spazzyjazzy said:
Thank you! I'm not sure what the whole intention of the original post was anyway. It shouldn't matter.

I'm not either and I have learned from a few years on the internet that no matter what OP intentions are a thread can take a life of it's own. I tried to answer the questions backed with facts (links). I hope this thread will remain informational like it has and die a quiet death.

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
Gay Days are not in any way, shape or form sponsered by Disney or Disneyland. They orginazation that puts on Gay Days are allowed to rent out space (Big Thunder BBQ, ballrooms, hotel space) like any other large event (conventions, MouseAdventure, etc...).

You make it sound like its a crime to be gay!
I have never really noticed any gays working at DL or DCA, but then again, I'm not looking. I work with a couple of gays, have quite a few gay friends both male and female and the best man at our wedding was gay.To me they are just people.
Love Ella

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter