CSR or POFQ?

katmu

Mouseketeer
My adult son and I are planning a trip for late January staying 6 nights. I currently have POFQ booked but I could also get a standard room at CSR or a standard view at Gran Destino for our dates. I’ve stayed at POFQ but never at CSR, and my son has never stayed at either. His main request was a pool / hot tub, and an on-site restaurant preferably table service. The CSR standard room would save around $450 total over POFQ. Gran Destino is the most expensive at $100 more than POFQ. I should also mention that transportation is a major concern as I’m recovering from knee surgery so I will be using an ECV. I’ve read some reports about CSR on buses that sound ok, and others that have me concerned.

I’ve also been checking the Swan and Dolphin but so far their rates for our dates are pretty high once you add in the resort fees.

Edited to Add: I should also have mentioned that my son has ASD so I’m wondering how the noise is at CSR compared to POFQ? POFQ was pretty quiet from what I remember, although I had a corner room.

Last edited:
POFQ is very quiet, only one bus stop, smallish pool/hot tub, NO table service restaurant.
CSR is expansively large, several bus stops, larger pool(s), several TS restaurants. Can't really comment on noise levels as I've not stayed there, but it is a convention resort so take that into consideration. Upside, CSR has the skyliner.

My adult son and I are planning a trip for late January staying 6 nights. I currently have POFQ booked but I could also get a standard room at CSR or a standard view at Gran Destino for our dates. I’ve stayed at POFQ but never at CSR, and my son has never stayed at either. His main request was a pool / hot tub, and an on-site restaurant preferably table service. The CSR standard room would save around $450 total over POFQ. Gran Destino is the most expensive at $100 more than POFQ. I should also mention that transportation is a major concern as I’m recovering from knee surgery so I will be using an ECV. I’ve read some reports about CSR on buses that sound ok, and others that have me concerned.

I’ve also been checking the Swan and Dolphin but so far their rates for our dates are pretty high once you add in the resort fees.

Edited to Add: I should also have mentioned that my son has ASD so I’m wondering how the noise is at CSR compared to POFQ? POFQ was pretty quiet from what I remember, although I had a corner room.

i preferred staying at POFQ with my young adult son who had BiPolar disorder as well as ASD, as it is smaller and a really beautiful peaceful resort. My son especially liked taking the boat to DS. There is also a really nice hot tub surrounded by landscaping and a few lounges. We stayed once at CSR which is beautiful but is much larger with 4 bus stops. There is a hot tub at the main pool location...this area is large and quite noisy. There are smaller less crowded pools but they do not have hot tubs. There is no TS restaurant at POFQ just a food court area.
my recommendation would be POFQ given your situatio.

Keep in mind… the bus and boat do run between pofq and poR which Does have a table service And a larger more expansive food court. You may use amenities at either. It’s five minute ride and .. not in ur case perhaps but for anyone else … the clearing marked lighted path between the resorts is quite nice. A 12 minute leisurely walk along the sassaghoula riverbank. ( and that boat transport to Disney springs is so nice too)
pofq would be my choice for ur stay.
wherever you stay, have a lovely time and safe travels!

I think I’m pretty much decided on POFQ, unless an offer happens to come out for the Deluxes or Swan/Dolphin. I saw a new resort tour video from Craig on the Dis channel that reminded me what I liked so much about POFQ. I was worried about there not being a table service restaurant at POFQ but I think the boat to Disney Springs would give us enough options to make up for that. I would be worried about groups at CSR, and he may not like the size of the main pool there.

Based on my last trip at YC when I also had an ECV after the previous surgery, the battery on the ECV seemed to last a full day for me even when I rolled over to HS instead of using the boat, and then hopped to Epcot until park close. I would definitely want to take him over to POR as he’s never seen Yeeha Bob.

Dis Resort Tour of Port Orleans French Quarter

POFQ is very quiet, only one bus stop, smallish pool/hot tub, NO table service restaurant.
CSR is expansively large, several bus stops, larger pool(s), several TS restaurants. Can't really comment on noise levels as I've not stayed there, but it is a convention resort so take that into consideration. Upside, CSR has the skyliner.

no CSR does not have the Skyliner...that would Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR) that has skyliner

It sounds like you have made your minds up, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I have stayed at both CS and FQ.
We found CS to be a beautiful, quiet resort. We stayed in Casitas #3 and it was close to everything. The resort has a tropical courtyard in the middle. I know people complain of the buses at CS, but we never had that problem. It was a few years ago, however and pre-covid.

We have stayed at POFQ the last few years and really like it. I am Not a fan of mardi gras decor, but I love the quaint, quieter atmosphere of fQ. The walk to POR is really nice and not too far. My husband and I both have mobility problems and we did it without a problem. We did not like the sit down restaurant at POR, but that is personal taste. For years, we stayed at POR and it is by far our favorite resort. It is peaceful in the AB area with a tropical setting. They have several quiet pools and a main one. If you stay at POR or FQ you can use both main pools. POR's QS restaurant is large and has alot of good offerings. We always go to POR to eat at their QS instead of POFQ's.
Alot of guests with mobility problems stay at POFQ, so the wait at the one bus stop could be a little longer due to ECV;s, at least it was our experience.
If we were going back soon, I would love to go to POR again, but it is out of the question due to mobility issues.
Whatever you decide both resorts are great, IMO.

It sounds like you have made your minds up, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I have stayed at both CS and FQ.
We found CS to be a beautiful, quiet resort. We stayed in Casitas #3 and it was close to everything. The resort has a tropical courtyard in the middle. I know people complain of the buses at CS, but we never had that problem. It was a few years ago, however and pre-covid.

We have stayed at POFQ the last few years and really like it. I am Not a fan of mardi gras decor, but I love the quaint, quieter atmosphere of fQ. The walk to POR is really nice and not too far. My husband and I both have mobility problems and we did it without a problem. We did not like the sit down restaurant at POR, but that is personal taste. For years, we stayed at POR and it is by far our favorite resort. It is peaceful in the AB area with a tropical setting. They have several quiet pools and a main one. If you stay at POR or FQ you can use both main pools. POR's QS restaurant is large and has alot of good offerings. We always go to POR to eat at their QS instead of POFQ's.
Alot of guests with mobility problems stay at POFQ, so the wait at the one bus stop could be a little longer due to ECV;s, at least it was our experience.
If we were going back soon, I would love to go to POR again, but it is out of the question due to mobility issues.
Whatever you decide both resorts are great, IMO.

The reviews that concerned me about CSR were all post-Covid and post Gran Destino. I’m having a hard time deciphering if it’s that the resort hasn’t added more buses since Gran Destino opened, or if it’s due to fewer buses running during Covid but it sounded like some people were waiting longer. Not that we couldn’t potentially have that issue at POFQ, especially mid-day in all fairness.

I did look into renting an accessible van but it would run about $900 for the 6 days. At that point, we may as well move to a Deluxe.

Another wrench into my plan. When I woke up to make dining reservations at 4:30 am yesterday, there was a club level room at CSR open so naturally I grabbed it. My son’s original request was for a room similar to the one we stayed in on our trip to Kyoto with breakfast. While nothing at Disney is quite like that I’m thinking club level at CSR gets us as close as possible without blowing the budget completely.

I've stayed at POFQ and loved it. Next trip I'm booked at CSR. It'll be me and DD16. I chose CSR due to so many dining options and lounges/bars. DD16 obviously doesn't drink but she will like having a bite at Three Bridges and she loves lounges. Since your son is an adult I think that would be a good selling point. I had CSR booked with my son (21) last year but we had to cancel.

Stayed at both - best comparison I can make is ...

Coronado Springs is the deluxe of the moderates. You can stay village or tower with different tiers offered. You have the highly themed pool with amenities right at the pool with the largest hot tub. You have a large number of restaurants and bars at all levels. A more adult feel so there are more amenities offered.

Port Orleans French Quarter is the value of the moderates. While it has the basics it has no table service restaurant at all, the food court area is small. The pool is very much designed for young children and the hot tub not much bigger than what I have in my backyard. All the rooms are the same and even the preferred don't offer much. The pluses are the boat to Disney Springs if you can get on it (we experienced it full) and it's not storming AND a single bus stop at the resort, the negative is times when you share with POR.

CSR is like staying at a "resort" with lots of amenities and POFQ is like staying at a average hotel like Hampton or Holiday Inn with theming. When the price points are not that much different, I can't imagine not choosing CSR.

I haven’t told him that I switched, or that I booked club level so I’m planning to keep that a surprise. While coming from Minnesota in January, he would probably be happy with just being able to get in a pool and hot tub at all, I think the CSR pool area looks a bit better for adults.

The restaurants at CSR were really the deciding factor though. With POFQ having only 1 QS and the variety of options now at CSR, I think for this trip anyway having more on-site options makes sense.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up for a discount but I agree that CSR would likely be the moderate most likely to be discounted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter