Crying baby in nearby room at Disneyland Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
So we were woken this morning around 5:45am by a crying baby. It cried for 26 minutes. All I wanted to do was locate it, pick it up myself, and comfort it so it would stop crying. It was so frustrating. We haven’t fully adjusted to the western time zone, so it really doesn’t feel early. It’s more about the parents being unable or unwilling to console the child.

The thin walls are also frustrating.

That would be frustrating but I would assume the parents were frantically trying to calm their baby. After a day of high sensory this can often happen. As frustrating as it can be (and it sure is frustrating - no judgement there!) I would try to think of the parents. My frustration times come when at 10pm till 2am theres teens or preteens running the halls yelling at the top of their lungs!!!

That happened to us a couple mornings in a row at Paradise Pier Hotel a few years ago. That's the time of night I have a terrible time getting back to sleep. It pretty much trashed my day as I had to leave the parks later to take a nap (which I almost never do). I wish parents would wait to do hotel stays until their babies are older and better able to sleep through the night.

Sorry about your long day.
I realize it's not for everyone, but we run a sleep machine app on the phone all night and during afternoon naps. It really smooths out noises outside the room, compared to silence. Can take some getting used to if you haven't tried sleeping with noise. Although no easier time to try than after a long day at the parks!

Relax Melodies is an easy/free one. Have used for years. I'm sure there are others.

I am so sorry! This is one of my biggest fears as a parent with a baby. We’ve been fortunate enough that our kids always sleep through the night at Disneyland (because they are just so exhausted) so I haven’t had to experience the sheer horror of frantically trying to calm a kid/baby in the middle of the night at a hotel. A few years ago I was up before sunrise to go on the “get up and go power walk” and as I walked out the frontier tower, I saw a dad walking around and singing songs to soothe a baby in front of the fireplace by trader sams. I gave him a head nod in solidarity. And I appreciated the fact that they thought outside the box of ways to soothe the infant rather than just letting it cry it out in the room.

We bring a white noise machine with us every trip. I swear the white noise machine has been a game changer for us. I no longer wake up to doors closing, or to adults waking up super early to shower and get ready, or to people running down the halls, or to crying babies.

Another fan of ambient noise machines or apps, here. We had a compact machine we took everywhere for my youngest DD; now we just see if we can get a small fan from the hotel for her. Personally I’ve used soft foam earplugs for years, even at home (DH snores loudly), and when traveling it really helps mute any unfamiliar or annoying sounds like a rattling air conditioning unit, kiddos running around in the room overhead, or crying babies next door. Not everyone can tolerate wearing them, though.
I feel for the parents, though. One time we were camping, fortunately only 45 minutes from home, and DD2 was just not having it. I got up in the middle of the night and took her home rather than continue to disturb the entire campground. Can’t do that at a hotel far from home!

I have a 4 month old and I can attest that sometimes babies just cry, even as you’re holding/rocking/soothing them. It’s a bummer! Sorry you got woken up early... that’s no fun at all (says the gal who hasn’t slept through a night in four months :rotfl2:).

I always sleep with earplugs in hotels (brought them to the hospital too when I had my baby!). I actually sleep with earplugs at home too so I don’t wake up with every tiny non-important sound! I’m a huge fan of earplugs!

Hope tonight is better for you!

Sound machines. Even without crying babies, hotels are loud. I find it more disturbing all the slamming doors. Or the ac unit.

Our DD started sleeping through the night at about 5 mo, but when we went on our first trip with her at about 11 mo, she woke up crying each night and it took some consoling to get her back to sleep. Something about being in a different place must have messed with her. You never know how a baby/young child will handle a new situation and I highly doubt the parents were ignoring the baby.

That said, my #1 complaint about the Disneyland hotel is the noise. Not only are walls paper thin to the point where we can usually hear people having conversations in rooms next to us, every room we’ve stayed in has had numerous bumps and clangings at all hours of day/night. I use a tiny travel white noise machine and hope for the best.

That happened to us a couple mornings in a row at Paradise Pier Hotel a few years ago. That's the time of night I have a terrible time getting back to sleep. It pretty much trashed my day as I had to leave the parks later to take a nap (which I almost never do). I wish parents would wait to do hotel stays until their babies are older and better able to sleep through the night.

I can't believe you just said this!!! So a family of 6 theoretically shouldn't be in a hotel for say 8 years? Or should they just sleep on the streets? This seems a bizarre point of view seeing as by your name you seem to be a mom. Lets show some compassion for others and not just think of ourselves!!!

I can't believe you just said this!!! So a family of 6 theoretically shouldn't be in a hotel for say 8 years? Or should they just sleep on the streets? This seems a bizarre point of view seeing as by your name you seem to be a mom. Lets show some compassion for others and not just think of ourselves!!!
I have 3 kids and didn't stay in a hotel before they were old enough to predictably sleep through the night. Sorry, I just think it's rude to expose others to a high likelihood of a baby crying in the night. (I understand older babies can cry and it happens, but I'm talking about the very young ones you know will likely be up crying at some point).

There's no rule against it though so you do you.

We just got back from vacation today (not Disneyland). My four-year-old is very even keeled and was as good as gold through a cross-country flight, four days of vacationing (one and a half days of which was a school reunion and involved a lot of being good while grownups talked), and three nights in the hotel. But last night, he just... lost it. I don't know if he was over-tired, or if he had just worked so hard at being well-behaved that he had to "break down" a bit, or what, but believe me, my DH and I were horrified and frantically trying to quiet our squalling child (without being total pushovers, because four). It was before 9 pm, but I could just imagine our wall neighbors being pissed about those jerks next door who can't control their kid. Then today, perfect behavior on a 6-hour flight home.

Trust me, it happens and it sucks. For everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter